My SI is leaking oil, what about yours?

Does your SI have an oil leak?

• Total voters

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
I remember reading a thread where someone had an oil leak around their valve cover gasket and it prompted another person to check their car and find the same leak. I finally got around to checking mine and I also have the same problem. My car is an '18 and I would never have checked if I hadn't read the other thread. So now I'm curious, how many of you have checked your car and do you have a similar issue?

Also, bonus points if you know what that white goop is by the oil dipstick. Is it Hondabond? Does Honda use that from the factory? I purchased this new car so I hope this wasn't added by the dealer..

Honda Civic 10th gen My SI is leaking oil, what about yours? 1

Honda Civic 10th gen My SI is leaking oil, what about yours? 2

Honda Civic 10th gen My SI is leaking oil, what about yours? 3

Honda Civic 10th gen My SI is leaking oil, what about yours? 4

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes it is HondaBond and yes valve cover leaks are common on this vehicle, from the factory. Many have had it taken care of under warranty. Mine leaked a bit but never enough to warrant a trip to the dealer.

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That sucks, OP. I would try and get this fixed under warranty. You'll never have a clean engine bay with that going on and after purchasing a new car... I think you bought a clean engine bay for at least a few years!

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Nearly 15k, so far no leaks, oil never went down in 7K miles, etc. I do have the HondaBond near the dipstick like your engine. Maybe while pulling out your dipstick oil may have leaked on to the engine? If it is a leak in the engine seal, I would get it checked and fixed ASAP

si_zaleski

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si MSM
Country flag
so I have had this issue for awhile. not very common from what I've seen. been to the dealer twice for it. "Valve cover gasket" was the fix second time around & as you can see it's still seeping out. haven't driven it in a few months but noticed it's started coming back. dunno if anyone else has run into this but will be taking it back soon! doesn't even have 11k on it

Honda Civic 10th gen My SI is leaking oil, what about yours? IMG_20190125_143845

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
Does this seem to be just with the Si’s or any 1.5t ?

OP
OP
herox

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Yes it is HondaBond and yes valve cover leaks are common on this vehicle, from the factory. Many have had it taken care of under warranty. Mine leaked a bit but never enough to warrant a trip to the dealer.
Thank you, that's reassuring and good to know. I'm not familiar with HondaBond so I wasn't sure.

That sucks, OP. I would try and get this fixed under warranty. You'll never have a clean engine bay with that going on and after purchasing a new car... I think you bought a clean engine bay for at least a few years!
I have an appointment Monday and I'm sure they'll take care of it. It just sucks to see this on a new car.

Nearly 15k, so far no leaks, oil never went down in 7K miles, etc. I do have the HondaBond near the dipstick like your engine. Maybe while pulling out your dipstick oil may have leaked on to the engine? If it is a leak in the engine seal, I would get it checked and fixed ASAP
It was there yesterday before I decided to check my dipstick for oil dilution. My local dealer completed my 2 oil changes and they didn't notice anything during their inspection. I don't know when this leak started as I haven't had the need to look at the engine bay (Last 2 oil changes were covered by the dealer).

so I have had this issue for awhile. not very common from what I've seen. been to the dealer twice for it. "Valve cover gasket" was the fix second time around & as you can see it's still seeping out. haven't driven it in a few months but noticed it's started coming back. dunno if anyone else has run into this but will be taking it back soon! doesn't even have 11k on it

IMG_20190125_143845.jpg
Yikes, thank you for sharing. Your earlier post was what added a mental note in my head to check mine sometime. Do you mind letting us know if the next visit fixes the problem for you?

Does this seem to be just with the Si’s or any 1.5t ?
There are threads for the 1.5T (SI and non-SI), Type R, and 2.0 NA.

SI_honda_2k17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda civic si
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen My SI is leaking oil, what about yours? 3F091422-F8D9-4713-AE1C-F30F2E653D74
Honda Civic 10th gen My SI is leaking oil, what about yours? 7539FF99-1E03-49D8-8249-C4FAEAC22A7E
Last summer, when washing my car i noticed something that could look like an oil leak.
When i reported it tonmy dealer they said to not worry, it was probably just dirty water coming from the road and I accepted the answer.
The dipstick never showed oil leak neither
Now that i see your picture i realize that it maybe was oil leak
I found the picture that i took at this moment

OP
OP
herox

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
3F091422-F8D9-4713-AE1C-F30F2E653D74.jpeg
7539FF99-1E03-49D8-8249-C4FAEAC22A7E.jpeg
Last summer, when washing my car i noticed something that could look like an oil leak.
When i reported it tonmy dealer they said to not worry, it was probably just dirty water coming from the road and I accepted the answer.
The dipstick never showed oil leak neither
Now that i see your picture i realize that it maybe was oil leak
I found the picture that i took at this moment
It's worth taking a look at again. My oil level looks fine but the possibility that oil dilution is refilling the oil did cross my mind this morning lol.

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had warranty work done on mine twice now. Once was the shaft bearing on the passenger side. A big Thanks to Civicx members for drawing my attention to that area. The second one was an oil leak from the AC compressor. The best piece of mind I have heard is "New cars have around 30,000 individual parts and the factory makes thousands of cars per year. There is bound to be some problems so that is what the warranty is for."

OP
OP
herox

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
I've had warranty work done on mine twice now. Once was the shaft bearing on the passenger side. A big Thanks to Civicx members for drawing my attention to that area. The second one was an oil leak from the AC compressor. The best piece of mind I have heard is "New cars have around 30,000 individual parts and the factory makes thousands of cars per year. There is bound to be some problems so that is what the warranty is for."
What's this about the shaft bearing on the passenger side? Since I'm bringing the car in I'm going to ask about the oil dilution update and anything else I can think of.

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

1stAznBum

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Aegean Blue Si Sedan
Country flag
Had the valve cover gasket leak on me too, plus the brake master cylinder. Both were covered under warranty.

Honda Civic 10th gen My SI is leaking oil, what about yours? Si Warranty Work 02

si_zaleski

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si MSM
Country flag
Thank you, that's reassuring and good to know. I'm not familiar with HondaBond so I wasn't sure.

I have an appointment Monday and I'm sure they'll take care of it. It just sucks to see this on a new car.

It was there yesterday before I decided to check my dipstick for oil dilution. My local dealer completed my 2 oil changes and they didn't notice anything during their inspection. I don't know when this leak started as I haven't had the need to look at the engine bay (Last 2 oil changes were covered by the dealer).

Yikes, thank you for sharing. Your earlier post was what added a mental note in my head to check mine sometime. Do you mind letting us know if the next visit fixes the problem for you?

There are threads for the 1.5T (SI and non-SI), Type R, and 2.0 NA.
Yeah I'll let you guys know what happens !