First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
great story, thanks for sharing. my dad was gong to leave me his old truck until he traded it for a 30th anniversary Z28. hes done a lot of things to it, to many to name really. but he says its a death trap now and Ill never get it when he passes away.
Those are nice, my mom had a 98 z28 when I was in high school... I drove it a few times and nearly killed myself in it. My dad passed also but I somehow didnt get the truck (1991 toyota extended cab long bed, manual) his wife sold it I think. Oh well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My point was that it is just a simple honest truck. Not a king ranch or whatever they sell for $80K. Its these very simple trucks from the 70's and '80s riding a wave of nostalgia to collectors. In a few more years, even your old F150 will appeal to someone. Simple, honest, run forever with hardly any maintenance would be my guess. Rust will get it first.

fwiw, i have one of my dad's old cars too.. he bought it new in 1970... looking forward to teaching my boys how to drive it in a couple of years.
I gotcha. :thumbsup:

nurvcom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CIVIC TOURING 1.5L TURBO CVT 4DR // 2001 IS300 2JZ 3.0L // 2000 F250 CCSB 7.3L
Country flag
good story 200k on truck is nothing now days i have 2000 f250 with 7.3L diesel 529k and i use it alot to pull my enclosed trailer for my shop :)

OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sat in a parking lot up the road away from the house earlier today. One of my retired navy buddies happened upon a dog that wasn’t microchipped and looked to be abandoned and after a couple weeks of seeing if the owners would claim it from ads posted... asked if anyone would give it a home (they’ve already got a few dogs). So... we’ve got a pup.
Honda Civic 10th gen My old man's truck... F74A2D28-E3A8-40B1-96AD-608A00011931

The old truck that turns 20 in a couple months (manufacture date 11/00). Still going. Only gets 1000-2000 miles/year on it for truck-duties... but keeps putting along.
Honda Civic 10th gen My old man's truck... 4ED83142-161B-417C-B3F9-3184E9A0DAD1

This year, between leftover dirt from
a partially dig-out for our above ground pool (mostly to level) and trips to a local place in the old truck that sells dirt by the tractor scoop... I’ve managed to build up behind my house from a former marshy constantly flooded spot to a place that’s never below water. In the realm of 30-40 cubic yards at this points... with a couple dozen of hauls from the truck. I did a single dump truck load once but it didn’t work out as well as just using the truck.

My oldest daughter has been interested in hunting for a bit... and I just paid into a lease with some navy guys in town. I’ll have to hunt down some knobbier all terrains... the all seasons have piles of tread but will die from dry rot before they get close to 2/32nd’s and aren’t suited to being in dirt/grass. 2wd is a bit of a liability but have been looking at something to lock the rear diff (it’s an open) to see if I can make it do a little better. It’s not ever going to be a mudder, nor do I ha e interest in that, but I hate to ever get stranded.

Anyways... it’s still rolling after a moving a couple dozen loads of dirt to build up the back and piles of rock to fix the road in town where the kids play soccer... amongst other stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
charleswrivers

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One more year... just shy of 205k miles. I replaced the tailgate latch myself after the plastic handle broke off randomly early this year. Not too different from changing a car door handle which I’ve done a few times. Did an oil change over the last year. Bought a set of used tires for $120 that are better than the old ones for being in the dirt and aren’t dry rotted. Otherwise, it’s just cost me fuel.

Hauled a bunch of scoops of fill dirt for the back yard. A few instances of driving it to and from work. Trips out to the hunting lease, though that’s mostly to have a spot to plink. It’s still plugging away. I’ve thought of looking at a newer 5 seater that’s a 4x4 with a V8/turbo 6… but as long as it refuses to die I’ll let it keep on going.

Given used car prices these days (and prices in general) I’m putting off any major purchases and am just happy I got my house, present stable of vehicles and current computer built when I did. I’d really like a new graphics card but I’m not going to pay present prices. I know a few people looking to buy inexpensive used cars… and “inexpensive” and “used” aren’t talking to each other right now.
Sponsored