My low value 2016 Civic EX w/ Sensing

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
So I took my blue 2016 Civic EX w/Sensing to get appraised at CarMax and a dealership. 44k miles. "Good" condition on the Excellent/Very Good/Good/Fair/Poor spectrum...
CarMax: $12,500
Dealership: $11,000

I have a three year lease with 18k/mi per yr. My lease payoff is $13,855, my residual is $12,500 when lease end comes in June. Boy, Honda is gonna take a bath on this one when I turn it in!!!
If Honda is paying attention to the state of their leases at all they will offer me a better buyout before lease end.
Sponsored

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Traded my 2016 EX-L Coupe , 37K no sensing, in Dec for $15,100 actual, went on their Certified lot, sold in a week for 17k & change. Traded on a 19 Touring, don't have the # handy, but it was under MSRP, fairly decent price, It was a cash deal, did some online comparisons, it was a fair deal. Just checked the invoice, got about $1300 off MSRP.

Last edited:

Sitio23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EX Civic
Country flag
I don't have sensing and I received a quote for 13k from CarMax. With bumper repair needed.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
In this current anti-car and pro-SUV climate, yes, you're gonna take a bath at trade-in. Regardless of trim, mileage, or year.

chandlervt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Subaru WRX
Country flag
So I took my blue 2016 Civic EX w/Sensing to get appraised at CarMax and a dealership. 44k miles. "Good" condition on the Excellent/Very Good/Good/Fair/Poor spectrum...
CarMax: $12,500
Dealership: $11,000

I have a three year lease with 18k/mi per yr. My lease payoff is $13,855, my residual is $12,500 when lease end comes in June. Boy, Honda is gonna take a bath on this one when I turn it in!!!
If Honda is paying attention to the state of their leases at all they will offer me a better buyout before lease end.
How is Honda taking a bath on this? They took your lease payments which had money factor. They will tack on the lease disposal fee at the end. The value is same as selling to Carmax. If at all, you can buy at residual price and then sell private party to come out ahead. Check Carvana.com. Usually their values are higher.

OP
OP

dthatcher7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX w/Sensing
How is Honda taking a bath on this? They took your lease payments which had money factor. They will tack on the lease disposal fee at the end. The value is same as selling to Carmax. If at all, you can buy at residual price and then sell private party to come out ahead. Check Carvana.com. Usually their values are higher.
The stream of payments over the life of the lease subtracted from the MSRP (yes there are taxes in the payments but I am leaving them in b/c of having to pay the disposition fee) is only 700$ less than the residual. The value is already at that point and I have 4 months left.

chandlervt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Subaru WRX
Country flag
The stream of payments over the life of the lease subtracted from the MSRP (yes there are taxes in the payments but I am leaving them in b/c of having to pay the disposition fee) is only 700$ less than the residual. The value is already at that point and I have 4 months left.
Its not going to move much in value unless you put on lot of miles. My trade-in value didn't move much for RX 350 in last 6 months. Car companies are pretty good at hedging. One question if you don't mind answering- you are 44k miles already? What was your per year lease allowance? 15k miles or 20k?
Sponsored