Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Let's put it this way. If I drive hard in "race car mode", I often barely see 25 mpg. On the next drive, a leisurely commute, I may see 44 mpg. It's that straightforward.

It's simple. Stay in boost and mpg's go down. It's no different than with the stock tune. The difference is that, tuned, our cars are 100% more fun.:thumbsup:
Sponsored

TouringBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Let's put it this way. If I drive hard in "race car mode", I often barely see 25 mpg. On the next drive, a leisurely commute, I may see 44 mpg. It's that straightforward.

It's simple. Stay in boost and mpg's go down. It's no different than with the stock tune. The difference is that, tuned, our cars are 100% more fun.:thumbsup:
Interesting perspective but I still think at-least one of the quick adjustments would burn more fuel.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Boost Ramp and Turbo responsiveness would burn more fuel. I noticed this when I went back to the stock tune and monitored AFR. When you put your foot into it stock, afr hovers around the low 14 range. Tuned, it drops pretty much right away to low 13’s high 12’s. It does this to spool the turbo quicker.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting perspective but I still think at-least one of the quick adjustments would burn more fuel.
Most quick adjustments when set up aggressively potentially lower mpg's to an extent. But, that wasn't the point I was making in the earlier post.

I don't tune for mpg's, but performance. I was simply saying tune your car to be fun to drive, and when driving, use your foot to help dictate mileage.

That's how I tune/drive but that's the beauty of quick adjustments. Keep playing with them and trying different combos out until you get the tune that works for YOU.

Last edited:

KTuner

Elite Sponsor
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
Tuned, it drops pretty much right away to low 13’s high 12’s. It does this to spool the turbo quicker.
This is not why AFRs were changed and has zero to do with those settings. The system is lean from the factory and tunes are pushing higher levels than factory. It's for safety.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I stand corrected, old school thinking...thanks @KTuner

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OK, another week with the TSP tune and an update to how I feel about this tune versus my aggressively adjusted KTuner Starter 21.

For my driving style, I'm realizing this isn't the drastic jump I originally thought is was...

And maybe it's just my driving style.

For the most part I'm doing suburban driving with some highway driving. When you punch it hard, the TSP tune goes. And that's awesome. But, for lower speed around town type driving the throttle just seems a bit sluggish. Sure it's smooth but I realize I enjoyed the more snappy throttle response of my KTuner setup.

So that's my dilemma. At WOT, the TSP tune feels more potent. But, the thing is, I'm not going WOT all that often. On the other hand, even though the KTuner tune feels punchier at part throttle, WOT leaves a bit to be desired compared to TSP.

If we were able to adjust part throttle, and have options for a more aggressive feel, the TSP tune would seriously beat the KTuner tune.

As it is, while I definitely think it's an awesome tune, the part throttle response is maybe too soft compared to what I was running. Now maybe the 6 speed version of the tune is snappier down low and Derek softened the CVT version but as it is, I definitely miss the feel those aggressive quick adjustments gave me at less than WOT.

This is just my take on it after extended driving and I'm sure others feel differently. And none of this is scientific. I've done no timed runs. Just based on seat time behind the wheel.

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Thanks for the ongoing updates. I finally broke down and bought the TSP tune yesterday. I didn't get a chance to load it yet, as I left for a weekend trip after work yesterday. So, I'll have to wait until Sunday to load the tune.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OK, another week with the TSP tune and an update to how I feel about this tune versus my aggressively adjusted KTuner Starter 21.

For my driving style, I'm realizing this isn't the drastic jump I originally thought is was...

And maybe it's just my driving style.

For the most part I'm doing suburban driving with some highway driving. When you punch it hard, the TSP tune goes. And that's awesome. But, for lower speed around town type driving the throttle just seems a bit sluggish. Sure it's smooth but I realize I enjoyed the more snappy throttle response of my KTuner setup.

So that's my dilemma. At WOT, the TSP tune feels more potent. But, the thing is, I'm not going WOT all that often. On the other hand, even though the KTuner tune feels punchier at part throttle, WOT leaves a bit to be desired compared to TSP.

If we were able to adjust part throttle, and have options for a more aggressive feel, the TSP tune would seriously beat the KTuner tune.

As it is, while I definitely think it's an awesome tune, the part throttle response is maybe too soft compared to what I was running. Now maybe the 6 speed version of the tune is snappier down low and Derek softened the CVT version but as it is, I definitely miss the feel those aggressive quick adjustments gave me at less than WOT.

This is just my take on it after extended driving and I'm sure others feel differently. And none of this is scientific. I've done no timed runs. Just based on seat time behind the wheel.
He definitely softened the cvt tune up. You are the perfect candidate for a custom tune. You can tell Derek exactly what you want and he can tune it that way for you!!!!!!

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
He definitely softened the cvt tune up. You are the perfect candidate for a custom tune. You can tell Derek exactly what you want and he can tune it that way for you!!!!!!
That's definitely something to consider. Just want a little more part throttle aggressiveness. I could be wrong but it kind of feels like early spool isn't enabled.

Plus, I guess I was used to that Sport+ throttle and Improved III part throttle responsiveness.

Last edited:

TouringBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
That's definitely something to consider. Just want a little more part throttle aggressiveness. I could be wrong but it kind of feels like early spool isn't enabled.

Plus, I guess I was used to that Sport+ throttle and Improved III part throttle responsiveness.
I just started using the TSP Starter 1 tune a couple days ago and I couldn't agree anymore. It's not necessarily a bad tune... it just feels VERY dampened when you're taking off however there's an amazing push of power when you decide to take off from 30 to 60 or.. 80 lol. I'd say it's less aggressive and safer for our CVTs in the long-run. Although, I actually enjoyed your aggressive Dual 21 starter setup, gtman.

Perhaps there will be another version updated for all of us in the future?

Edit: maybe changing the boost by gear for the first gear from 18psi to something else could help?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just started using the TSP Starter 1 tune a couple days ago and I couldn't agree anymore. It's not necessarily a bad tune... it just feels VERY dampened when you're taking off however there's an amazing push of power when you decide to take off from 30 to 60 or.. 80 lol. I'd say it's less aggressive and safer for our CVTs in the long-run. Although, I actually enjoyed your aggressive Dual 21 starter setup, gtman.

Perhaps there will be another version updated for all of us in the future?

Edit: maybe changing the boost by gear for the first gear from 18psi to something else could help?
Glad I'm not the only one. Yeah it just feels too subdued below 4,000. I mean, KTuner says all their aggressive quick enables and adjustments are safe for the CVT, so there's that.

In a way it kind of reminds me a little of my CARB Flashpro tune but pumped up a bit. Not much more than stock responsiveness down low with a rush at the top. Of course the WOT feel on the TSP tune is way more potent than the Flashpro tune. And I love that rush of power.

As far as BBG at 18 in 1st, I don't think disabling that will change this behavior that much but it might help. I think It's more about this tune having ultra conservative part throttle responsiveness.

I'm sure Derek did this as an over the top safety measure for the CVT. And like you said, that's good for the long haul. I was just hoping part throttle would feel at least as good as my KTuner 21.

I may flash back to my aggressive Starter 21 again to compare to make sure I'm not "imagining" things.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just to add one more thought.

I took the car out for an hour this morning on this test loop I use and really put this tune through it's paces. Drove it harder than I have before. It was actually shocking how much deeper into the throttle I had to go to feel similar to my previous tune at lower speeds. But floor it and holy hell! It's night and day. Now if we can combine the snappy low end feel and throttle response of the KTuner aggressive setup with the high throttle madness of the TSP tune, that would be perfect. :)

I guess to do that, we need a custom tune.

TouringBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Just to add one more thought.

I took the car out for an hour this morning on this test loop I use and really put this tune through it's paces. Drove it harder than I have before. It was actually shocking how much deeper into the throttle I had to go to feel similar to my previous tune at lower speeds. But floor it and holy hell! It's night and day. Now if we can combine the snappy low end feel and throttle response of the KTuner aggressive setup with the high throttle madness of the TSP tune, that would be perfect. :)

I guess to do that, I need a custom tune.
It's a shame that the important quick adjustments are locked (alongside early spool option)... Makes me wonder what else we could achieve. I'm confused about what mode is on when ECO mode is enabled... Is it factory eco?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm guessing they're locked because Derek feels like they may push things too far for the CVT?

The main TSP tune (map 3) is a custom 16.5 psi setup with the Econ button.
Sponsored