My KTuner experience - an ongoing journal

TouringBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
1) Factory tune with some aspects of stock eco (reduced a/c output for example) but with the improved throttle quick adjustments of KTuner mixed in.

2) It's switching between tune 1/2/3 on the quick adjustments page. You then upload that to the KTuner and then the ECU. In turn, those 3 tunes are switchable on the fly with the CC buttons.

3) All the quick adjustments and ramp settings are safe EXCEPT for disabling the boost ramp. That would play havoc with your CVT.

Hope that helps.
gtman, you are the man! My mind is less confused now! Seriously!

I saw an earlier post regarding the commuter tune so I think I will do the same. I suppose it will consists of just changing the 2 & 3 quick adjustments to something like 18psi & 16psi respectively while leaving the 1st quick adjustment as default? It would be awesome if someone has a screenshot of their Dual Starter 21 quick adjustments so I can replicate rather than going through trial & error. :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a setup I used with the most aggressive tune as Tune 1 (21psi). Tune 2 (19psi) was the middle of the road tune and Tune 3 (16psi) was my commuter tune. It worked really well.

Honda Civic 10th gen My KTuner experience - an ongoing journal Capture.GIF

Last edited:

TouringBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Here's a setup I used with the most aggressive tune as Tune 1 (21psi). Tune 2 (19psi) was the middle of the road tune and Tune 3 (16psi) was my commuter tune. It worked really well.

Capture.GIF
This is fantastic! Thank you!

Makes me wonder whether the locked Stage 0/1/2 have different presets for on the fly switching. Also, when you purchase the TSP tune, how is it received digitally? Makes me curious whether the makers are losing profit due to their tune getting pirated if possible.

I'm saving up my money now for my birthday by the end of the month. :)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The Stage tunes have no on the fly capability and no quick adjustments. They are basically simple locked down tunes. KTuner calls them "legacy" tunes. The user quick adjustments on the Starter tunes like the Starter dual 21 allow you to far surpass the base Stage tunes.

The TSP tune is sent by email and is specific to your ECU software and your tuning devices serial number. I assume that's how they prevent pirating.

varge

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5T 4D Elegance EUDM
Country flag
You're right, the no smiley threw me off.:dunno: It's all good.

I think mpg's are essentially the same as with my KTuner 21 tune. The increase is a combination of warmer weather and my switch to the PRL silicone intake hose / aFe Pro Dry S filter.

As far as switching to the TSP tune, it's definitely a great mod for only $79.95... :thumbsup: It's sort of hard to quantify the difference in words but it just feels like a more polished, complete tune, if that makes sense. More custom, less generic feeling.
I would describe the TSP as a map which makes the car feel more like a bigger normally aspirated powerplant than an overboosted tiny 1.5lt engine. It's also a lot faster than starter 21 overall :)

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would describe the TSP as a map which makes the car feel more like a bigger normally aspirated powerplant than an overboosted tiny 1.5lt engine. It's also a lot faster than starter 21 overall :)
I wouldn't say it's a lot faster depending on the how aggressive the quick adjustments and spooling were set on the Starter 21. They just have completely different feels.

At first, the KTuner tune feels peppier down low and gives the illusion of a more potent tune. Then you realize it just falls flat above 5,000 rpm. You go from "wow, this thing feels fast" to "where did the power go?".

With the TSP Stage 1, it seems a little more mild down low, progressing to a solid midrange and a much more potent top end than the KTuner 21... almost like Vtec is kicking in. It's outstanding.

Last edited:

TouringBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag

Capture.GIF
Forgot to ask about the top 3 settings you have--especially Throttle Responsiveness and ECO Button. You changed ECO from Factory ECO Control to ECO On Normalized Throttle (there's also /ECO Off Sport+ available but I'm not sure what that means). Could you please decipher that?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Factory ECO is just that. The throttle is dampened and you have the other ECO mode factors like reduced A/C output.

Factory ECO with normalized throttle un-dampens the throttle to feel closer to non-ECO but still with reduced A/C etc...

That ECO / Sport+ setting does two things. It un-dampens the throttle in ECO like the normalized setting. Plus it adds even more aggressiveness the throttle response in the non-ECO tune.

I didn't care for the Sport+ setting because it just felt too "jumpy" to me. Some people love it though.

Last edited:

TouringBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Factory ECO is just that. The throttle is dampened and you have the other ECO mode factors like reduced A/C output.

Factory ECO with normalized throttle un-dampens the throttle to feel closer to non-ECO but still with reduced A/C etc...

That ECO / Sport+ setting does two things. It un-dampens the throttle in ECO like the normalized setting. Plus it adds even more aggressiveness the throttle response in the non-ECO tune.

I didn't care for the Sport+ setting because it just felt too "jumpy" to me. Some people love it though.
Great explanation.

I wish there was a sticky thread elaborating on every single Quick Adjustment option for novice users like me. I have more questions regarding the Throttle Responsiveness & Boost Target options (in layman's terms) but I don't want to be an annoyance. You should contribute to the official K-Tuner F.A.Q or perhaps start a thread simplifying the terms! :-D

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Feel free to ask away. I'm happy to help.

Last edited:

TouringBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Feel free to ask away. I'm happy to help.
Regarding the Ramp Rate options... what is it exactly so that I can notice the differences as I'm driving? Also, for the default Starter Dual 21 tune -> Quick Adjustments -> Tune 1/2/3 Target - Normal options, is the "Custom Boost Level" basically 21 PSI?

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, on Custom being 21 psi....

Here's my quick explanation on the quick settings:

On the top 3 settings, I've already explained the ECO options and Turbo Spool in fairly straightforward. As far as Throttle Responsiveness, that's universally applied to all 3 on the fly tunes. Each setting is more aggressive.

Turbo Responsiveness is a really important setting for driveability. It controls part throttle turbo response. Combined with Early Spool (available in Quick Enables) this is where you can get rid of a lot of the laggy stock feel.

There are separate user adjustable boost targets for normal and ECO on all 3 tunes. The number is simply the psi that the tune will peak at.

Finally the boost ramp controls how quickly you hit the target in high throttle situations. All settings are just user preference. DO NOT choose to disable ramp if you have a CVT.

Last edited:

TouringBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yes, on Custom being 21 psi....

Here's my quick explanation on the quick settings:

On the top 3 settings, I've already explained the ECO options and Turbo Spool in fairly straightforward. As far as Throttle Responsiveness, that's universally applied to all 3 on the fly tunes. Each setting is more aggressive.

Turbo Responsiveness is a really important setting for driveability. It controls part throttle turbo response. Combined with Early Spool (available in Quick Enables) this is where you can get rid of a lot of the laggy stock feel.

There are separate user adjustable boost targets for normal and ECO on all 3 tunes. The number is simply the psi that the tune will peak at.

Finally the boost ramp controls how quickly you hit the target in high throttle situations. All settings are just user preference. DO NOT choose to disable ramp if you have a CVT.
Very good explanation.

I replicated your quick adjustments onto the Starter Dual 21 tune and... oh boy... what a difference! However, I didn't enable Early Spool. I'm assuming you did so as I'm interpreting what you've mentioned by combining it? If so, anything I should watch out for (risks) if I do enable early spool?

I've also been curious about one thing... In terms of gas efficiency, which selections from the Quick Adjustments pane end up worsening the MPG? Ramp only?

I'm learning so much! This is fun.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I definitely used early spool. But again, it's personal preference. If you're happy without it. That's fine. It's all trial and error.

In terms of mpg's, I'll tell you the secret. Set the quick adjustments the way you like for how and where you drive. Don't adjust them in terms of "best gas mileage".

The secret? Control your mpg's with your right foot.;)

TouringBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
I definitely used early spool. But again, it's personal preference. If you're happy without it. That's fine. It's all trial and error.

In terms of mpg's, I'll tell you the secret. Set the quick adjustments the way you like for how and where you drive.

The secret? Control your mpg's with your right foot.;)
Fair enough.

Had to ask since I've read something elsewhere about the Ramp Rate options affecting MPG. It makes me think, what else could there be regardless of a driver's vehicle operating method. :beer:
Sponsored