Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amirza786

amirza786 Senior Member

Director of IT
    First Name:
    A
    Car(s):
    2006 Camry SE V6, 2013 Toyota Sienna LE, 2018 Honda Civic Si (SOLD), 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
    #271 amirza786, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    According to the reddit post, the person drove 150 miles after flashing. In California smog is about every 5 or 6 years, I think here we would need to worry more about modifying the stock intake/CAT, which is illegal in this state

2. Design

Design Senior Member

Car(s):
    09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
    DTCs can and do get reset. But it does not seem to apply to burn-in codes or pending codes. For what it's worth, this issue doesn't seem to come up during a routine OBDII scan. Only when Honda attempts to access live data/history surrounding a very specific event (like an over-rev).

3. MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin Senior Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Car(s):
    1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
    I hope it's actually eight years, heh.

I plan on adding a PRL intercooler and CAI, and then removing it come smog check time.

amirza786 thanked this.
  4. Maroco

Maroco Senior Member

First Name:
    Martin
    Car(s):
    2012 Honda civic lx 2020 civic si
    Well damn

saz468 thanked this.
  5. Rich19Si

Rich19Si Senior Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Car(s):
    2019 Civic Si Sedan
    Since they can see that the ECU was touched, it'll be logical to assume that the ECU was altered to improve performance in one way or another, unless people are modifying ECU for other reasons not performance related.

6. JT Si

JT Si Senior Member

First Name:
    JT
    Car(s):
    2018 MSM Civic Si
    #276 JT Si, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    I agree. Proof of modification of the PCM is not proof the modification caused the failure. In fact, without fully diagnosing the failure they have no evidence the PCM modification caused it.

How can you know what caused the problem if you don't know what the problem is?

I'm not dismissing anyone from needing to take responsibility for tuning, but there was blatantly no evidence to blame the modification. They have no right to cancel the warranty given the lack of evidence they presented.

I almost want to say that is fake, and a scare tactic. There is no way the deep dive required to make a full determination to cancel warranty like that was made simply for some difficulty shifting into gear. It's not like his engine or tranny blew.

Edit: It gotta be fake. No typos from the service advisor?

Before anyone jumps me, bear in mind it is absolutely possible an issue as described could be due to a failure not caused by tuning. A faulty shifter linkage, a defective synchro, a bad shifter assembly, a sticking clutch, faulty master or slave cylinder, bad throw out bearing... The list goes on. I find it outright sickening (and potentially illegal) they didn't complete a diagnosis before throwing it in the customer's face.

7. Ultimate Warrior

First Name:
    Jared
    Car(s):
    Honda
    I have a question when u say dont abuse does that mean I cant floor it to feel my ktuner power?

8. amirza786

amirza786 Senior Member

Director of IT
    First Name:
    A
    Car(s):
    2006 Camry SE V6, 2013 Toyota Sienna LE, 2018 Honda Civic Si (SOLD), 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
    For argument sake, let's say it's not fake. From reading the notes, it doesn't look like they are blaming the gear lockout on tuning, although it may be implied that additional power from being tuned could have damaged the drivetrain. If this is real, there could be more to this story, for example there may be a history of this person messing stuff up and getting warranty repairs. If I'm blowing engine components, eating thru clutches etc Honda might become suspicious.

Anyway, I'm not sure how it can be verified if this is real or not

9. gtman

gtman Senior Member

CivicX addict
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Car(s):
    2017 Cosmic Blue Civic EX-L
    Flooring it would NOT be abuse.

10. 360glitch

360glitch Moderator

Car(s):
    2017 Civic Si Sedan
    :topic:

While some good conversation is going on here it I would say about 5% of the posts here are directly about the topic at hand, while many but not all of the rest are somewhat related. Please consider making new/separate threads for any new topics. This invites others to join in with relevant information, when available. It also helps out future searches, for the few that do actually use the search tool. :)

amirza786, Design and gtman thanked this.
  11. Ultimate Warrior

First Name:
    Jared
    Car(s):
    Honda
    Ok so what is considered abuse ? I recently got me ktuner but kinda scared to floor it cause I saw some post about things blowing up the most I've gone is around 4500 rpm

12. PowerPerLiter

PowerPerLiter Specific Output

Car(s):
    2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20

One thing I will add to this thread as I am a service adviser myself. "Lying" or misrepresenting communication from a manufacturer to a customer is a huge deal. Everything on the ticket is able to be presented in court and is legal paperwork between the customer and manufacturer.

13. MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin Senior Member

First Name:
    Brandon
    Car(s):
    1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
    There are some precautions to take if your car is still new or if you are newly driving for the day regarding high-range RPM. Otherwise, outside of temperatures, the higher the RPM the safer you are to do things like floor it. Tis better to floor it at 4500 RPM than at 2500 RPM.

Ultimate Warrior thanked this.
  14. cruisencode

cruisencode Senior Member

Car(s):
    2017 Civic EX Hatchback
    When I click on the image, it opens a new tab and all I get is "Not Found". Has the original post been taken down?

EDIT: I removed all of the crap after the "?" in the link and it worked. :)

15. PowerPerLiter

PowerPerLiter Specific Output

Car(s):
    2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20

The original is on page 18

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.