amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I disagree strongly with building the motor after 250whp. Many people are running bigger turbo setups where the torque comes in much later and that seems to be the difference maker. The stock turbo on E has 350lb ft of torque hitting around ~3000rpms which is crazy for a tiny motor. That’s where these motors get stressed.

Shift the power curve to the right and these motors will be much better. It’s still a small motor so you’re definitely limited but saying the motor should be built after 250whp is silly. Look at MAPerformance and how long their stock motors have lasted making big power. Their powerband is way higher in the rev range obviously and it worked for them. I believe at one point they were running over 40psi through the stock motor.
That's where a good tuner comes in, and the reason why a less experienced owner shouldn't jump into bumping up the power without doing their research. Someone who has done the research, and knows what they are doing can do it, which includes selecting the right tuner. But the reason I say they should build the motor is, even if you are bringing in the torque much later in the rpm range, there is still additional stress being put on the pistons and rods, which may shorten the longevity of the engine in the long run. But we don't know if that is true or not until someone has done it at least 100K and disassembled the engine
Sponsored

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Things tuned people should know:
1) never run e85 in a 10th gen
2) never lug engine
3) if you're running a tune with scramble mode enabled- it'll make target boost by removing any required parameters.

- people should really do some research on things before purchasing. It seems most people on Civicx buy whatever says the highest WHP/WTQ listed or makes a WHOOSH sound.

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of tunes and tuners..

The TSP Stage 1 is a great overall canned tune. But there's one thing about it that's weak... literally. The response below 2750 rpm or so feels pretty much like stock whether you're on map 1, 2 or 3. I get it, Derek is being ultra conservative. I just wish he gave it a bit more low end punch on the aggressive map 3, at least.

I sometimes long for the days I was running the KTuner starter maps with aggressive throttle/spool tweaks. On the other hand, the top end was a weak point of Ktuner's tune.

I guess custom is the only way to have the best of both worlds.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Speaking of tunes and tuners..

The TSP Stage 1 is a great overall canned tune. But there's one thing about it that's weak... literally. The response below 2750 rpm or so feels pretty much like stock whether you're on map 1, 2 or 3. I get it, Derek is being ultra conservative. I just wish he gave it a bit more low end punch on the aggressive map 3, at least.

I sometimes long for the days I was running the KTuner starter maps with aggressive throttle/spool tweaks. On the other hand, the top end was a weak point of Ktuner's tune.

I guess custom is the only way to have the best of both worlds.
Well you have to sacrifice somewhere by bringing power up front or further back in the RPM range. Especially when increasing torque. An example is Emon's 360 WHP Si. He had to move the power curve to start around 4000 RPM through 7000

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Even then I don't think you can configure Boost targets in that manner. I believe map switching enables a universal increase across the powerband, depending how the baseline is configured.

I really enjoyed using the Ktuner map in the canyons yesterday. Most of my drive hovered around 3-5K RPMs. And that's where this map shines.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
So I wanted to bring this back up because this is starting to make the rounds again. We are seeing some examples of owners coming back reporting that Honda can pick up vehicle PCM history, regardless of whether the ECU is returned to factory state. It should be emphasized that in all cases, Honda ended up doing an in-depth diagnosis to read live data. And I'm not sure exactly what gets stored there beyond over-rev events.

Below is one that made the rounds on Reddit:

Last edited:

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I wanted to bring this back up because this is starting to make the rounds again. We are seeing some examples of owners coming back reporting that Honda can pick up vehicle PCM history, regardless of whether the ECU is returned to factory state. It should be emphasized that in all cases, Honda ended up doing an in-depth diagnosis to read live data. And I'm not sure exactly what gets stored there beyond over-rev events.

Well crap, that's not very good news....

Rich19Si

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

Yes, dealerships can absolutely see if you have ever configured the ECU in any way.
It's to cover themselves from reckless people blowing their engines from bad tunes and then flashing stock map back before taking it to the dealership because "their car randomly turned off".

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Like I've said many times, you need to go into tuning assuming your powertrain warranty is gone. It's a definite risk but I feel comfortable being tuned with my setup and driving style.

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

Seems like this reddit post was made 7 months ago, that's unfortunate. Curious, do dealers pull PCM history whenever you go in for maintenance? They shouldn't, right?

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
Surely the DTC is reset after a FLASH, I had already written it in some posts

it is my right to see where it is written that I have modified the PCM
you need a written report
The guarantee on words is not invalidated
it could also just be a blef attempt to see how the customer reacts

A client who did the reflesh will hardly fight

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
the warning is out there. If you value your warranty, don't tune. Risk vs reward. Now grab your Ktuners!

******EDIT******

Haha I probably should not have written the last line. @gtman and myself have already been accused of being Ktuner salesmen!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like this reddit post was made 7 months ago, that's unfortunate. Curious, do dealers pull PCM history whenever you go in for maintenance? They shouldn't, right?
I can't imagine they do that for routine visits. Dealerships are all about getting the work done and cramming is as many cars as possible at any given time. That tells me they wouldn't check data unless there's a major drivetrain warranty claim.

Also, don't arrive at your dealer with KTuner or Hondata decals plastered all over your car. ;)

Last edited:

FC1Dawn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I can't imagine they do that for routine visits. Dealerships are all about getting the work done and cramming is as many cars as possible at any given time. That tells me they wouldn't check data unless there's a major drivetrain warranty claim.

Also, don't arrive at your dealer with KTuner or Hondata decals plastered all over your car. ;)
That sounds pretty logical.

No KTuner or Hondata decals. Got it. Don't do anything stupid and don't abuse the car. Got it. Keep the car maintained with good fluids. Got it. Anything else I'm missing?

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Somebody once said something about driving your car for a little while after flashing the tune back to factory, maybe a good 24 hours beforehand. I forget why or what that changed.

I was told though that they can't see ECU flashing history. Obviously I was mistaken.

Would a smog check place be able to see this kind of stuff, and is it a problem if so?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.