Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
The majority of people out there are basically running a base tune on a mostly stock setup running 93 octane. So far looking at the tuning survey, this is the typical user buying a KTuner or Hondata here at the forum.

The second smaller group is adding bolt ons with a base or in some cases, a custom tune. They still are keeping power moderate.

And finally there's a very small third group going all out and tuning for high power output.

Now let's talk about that larger first group and more particularly those like me with the non-Si 1.5T. I run the TSP Stage 1 that was dyno'd at around 220whp/250wtq. And that specifically is on map 3. Most of the time though, I actually run on the less powerful map 2. And I have the feeling I'm not the only one who does this.

Derek tuned it so the torque is fairly conservative (especially on the CVT) below 3500-4000 rpm. He also set a boost limit in 1st. All of this adds up to the fact the vast majority of tuned owners here are running fairly conservative setups, whether it's a base KTuner / Hondata tune or a canned TSP / MAPerformance Stage 1.

And while blown engine threads are scary, they still represent a small fraction compared to the vast majority who have tuned their CivicX's without issues.

Having said all that, anytime you increase power over stock, you are adding stress. You are also taking a chance of voiding the powertrain warranty. It's up to the owner to decide if the better power/driveability is worth the potential risk.

We can argue about a lot of things regarding tuning but the increase in driving enjoyment is undeniable.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
you limited the boost in 1 gear but you can see that the 18 psi are without a ramp,

therefore I assume that the tsp map is totally without ramp, from which derives most of the aggressiveness

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
you limited the boost in 1 gear but you can see that the 18 psi are without a ramp,

therefore I assume that the tsp map is totally without ramp, from which derives most of the aggressiveness
Interesting. To me anyway, the TSP Stage 1 feels less aggressive below 4,000 rpm compared to the KTuner 21 with aggressive quick adjustments and early spool. After 4,000 it wakes up.

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
yes, I know, I read you ,. the 18 psi limited in 1 Gear on the cvt, are they with ramp or without?

on the manual it starts rocket a lot lower, in 2 and 3 gear it's really strong

Last edited:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
yes, I know, I read you ,. the 18 psi limited in 1 Gear on the cvt, are they with ramp or without?

on the manual it starts rocket a lot lower, in 2 and 3 gear it's really strong
D-Rob has it set at 18 psi (no ramp) on the non-Si version.

The Si guys have also said they feel the TSP 1 is less aggressive (snappy) down low (compared to KTuner base maps). I always assumed that was due to the TSP having a more linear throttle and not using early spool, but that's just a guess. Does Derek use a BBG limit in 1st on the manual versions of the tunes?

Last edited:

Andre80

First Name
white civic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X 1.5 sport +
Country flag
Yes, but I guarantee that the bass aggression is much greater than the dual map with all the settings at maximum

just loaded, the first test I shit on myself

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
the SS signature series
yeah its not cheap at all....65$cad everytime but i drive like 9000miles/yrs. i like to do it myself and be sure everything is well done and i feel better when i beat on it after haha
Giggity.

Is this the same one? I know you said CAD so I wasn't sure if this would be the equivalent for me.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...ature-series-100-percent-synthetic-motor-oil/

I assume so, but I wanted to be sure.

Lagos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
The Si guys have also said they feel the TSP 1 is less aggressive (snappy) down low (compared to KTuner base maps). I always assumed that was due to the TSP having a more linear throttle and not using early spool, but that's just a guess.
I think the guys from TSP mentioned that they reduced the low end torque to help with clutch slipping issues on their tune.

I have both TSP and MAP Stg1 tunes and the MAP has a lot more low end, but I notice clutch slipping issues with it even if I'm just daily driving.

SHAYN3R

First Name
SHAYNE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
That's pretty much what @gtman @PowerPerLiter and a few of us have been trying to say to the newcomers to this forum who just bought and joined or now after owning for a year or two have the urge for more power. Sometimes the car is not even off the dealer lot for an hour and posts start coming in like "What Bolt-on and mods should I do?" or "I want make 350 whp, what's the best way?" They watch some youtube videos and see people like Eman pushing 400 plus whp and they want to do that as well.

Bottom line, we always try to stress that first and foremost, this is an economy engine. If you want to push over 250 whp, you are going to need to build out the engine, clutch, ECU in some cases, fuel delivery, and I am even hearing of transmissions going boom so possibly that as well. My advice to people who buy this car and pay $25K, unless you are an experienced modder who has money to blow, find a used Focus ST or RS or a Type R. Or, wait 10 years when this is your weekend car. If you need a bit of extra power, just go with Ktuner's base tunes or TSP's stage 1 tune, but be aware that you may need to upgrade your clutch if you constantly use the maps that boost above 22 psi (like TSP's stage 1 map 3). Bolt-ons? I say stay away from them except maybe a good quality Performance Intercooler (Mishimoto, PRL etc).

I had the 2018 Si for 1 year (and 3 months :)) and I drove it both with TSP's stage 1 tune and stock, and IMO it was fun stock
I disagree strongly with building the motor after 250whp. Many people are running bigger turbo setups where the torque comes in much later and that seems to be the difference maker. The stock turbo on E has 350lb ft of torque hitting around ~3000rpms which is crazy for a tiny motor. That’s where these motors get stressed.

Shift the power curve to the right and these motors will be much better. It’s still a small motor so you’re definitely limited but saying the motor should be built after 250whp is silly. Look at MAPerformance and how long their stock motors have lasted making big power. Their powerband is way higher in the rev range obviously and it worked for them. I believe at one point they were running over 40psi through the stock motor.

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I know the TSP Stage 1 tune shifts the power curve as well to make it much more linear (don't know if they are directly tied with MAPerformance), but I haven't seen the dyno curve in some time. Anyone have an image of it?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.