My first run-in with honda dealers

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
There's never a good excuse for a salesperson to be an asshole.
EXACTLY -- So one good thing came out of all this -- you can cross that asshole dealership off your list when you are ready to buy.

The best time to find and select a Dealership is when you don't need them, but they are still willing to be good to you, and are more interested in a long term relationship, than a quick over-profitable sale.
Sponsored

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No means no and that's that. But unfortunately, and I've got friends and relatives who no means I'll do whatever you say, people who have no backbone and won't stand up to these idiots, make it harder on everyone.

nizarz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX
Country flag
A bad sales rep is a deal breaker for me. If they see buying a car the same as buying a candy bar then they don't care about peoples financial situation, they just want to get a car out of the door. Thankfully my rep was excellent. No pressure tactics and didn't hound me with phone calls when I said I will take the numbers home and think about it.

That week I was going to different Honda dealerships and one in particular said something along the lines of "I will only price up a car if you're going to buy, I'm not going to be compared to other dealerships and go back and forth". I pulled out my priced up printout from the other dealership (where i ended up buying the car) and said "I'm only going to each dealership once, whoever give me the best price I will buy from". He then realized I was serious about buying and tried to back-track. I just said thank you and walked off while he was trying to talk to me. I'm spending over $25K of my finances, Im not buying a chocolate bar.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Not to kick you while you’re down, but a year of credit history is generally not enough to finance a new car. Even with a high score, they will probably want a co-buyer or a down payment around 5k, due to what’s considered a thin file.
This may have been true in the past, but from what I’ve heard and seen in the last few years, dealerships will finance to basically anyone. As long as their credit score isn't abysmal, they’ll sell a 40k car to someone just out of college swimming in debt. You don’t even have to prove the annual salary that you put on the financing evaluation form.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
They may have been prick salesmen, but they may have also thought you were some punk ass just looking to test drive a car for fun with no intent of purchasing.

410 Civic

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Sorry about the experience OP. Some sales guys just don't hear when you tell them you're not there to buy and just push as far as they can. Had a similar situation when I took my girlfriend to just look at Toyota. Salesman got upset with us after we told him several times we were just looking and after he showed us some cars we were leaving when he kept trying to get us to run numbers. Shop around when you're ready, some guys are more professional.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
This may have been true in the past, but from what I’ve heard and seen in the last few years, dealerships will finance to basically anyone. .
Wells Fargo, of all people, has resumed sub-prime lending for car loans. :rolleyes1:

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
One of my first experiences at a car dealership (going after a new car) was right after the 8th gen civics dropped (i was a senior in high school so i was only 17) and i went to the dealership to look at the coupes WITH MY MOTHER because i wasn't old enough to test drive, but she wanted to test drive one, knowing i had full intent on leasing a new car before i graduated that year (once i was 18). The salesman straight up refused to take my mom on a test drive... he came out (the weather was kind of shitty, early spring... gray raining slightly)... we explained i was planning on leasing in the next 4-6 months, had a down payment saved up, just wanted to come and test drive the new civic coupe. He said, "well why don't you come back when you're old enough to test drive it yourself, i'll be inside if you need anything else" and walked away.... my mother was LIVID.

If it had just been me alone showing up at a dealership i could have understood the brush off (and it happened many times at many dealers after i was 18) but the fact he straight up refused to let my mom test drive the car was astounding to us. We left and never went back to that dealer, another much more agreeable dealer actually allowed me to test drive the car a couple months later (even though i was only 17, they got my business).

But like i said... from the age of 18 through most of my twenties i had issues with dealers not taking me seriously... even though i already had multiple leases under my belt, no issues with missed payments, practically waving cash in their faces and they'd just brush me off as some kid and not a serious customer.

SiFever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si, 2019 Jeep Rubicon 2 Door MT
Country flag
This may have been true in the past, but from what I’ve heard and seen in the last few years, dealerships will finance to basically anyone. As long as their credit score isn't abysmal, they’ll sell a 40k car to someone just out of college swimming in debt. You don’t even have to prove the annual salary that you put on the financing evaluation form.
Wells Fargo, of all people, has resumed sub-prime lending for car loans. :rolleyes1:
Here we go again...

NIJA car loans....

Wells Fargo, OFC, will give you a car loan for a car you did not buy, on the accounts that you did not open up... lulz You think you gunna rob the stage coach, the stage coach robs you. Same as it ever was.

FYI, half of all corporate paper is currently sitting at BBB rating, one step above high yield... and there are 17 trillion worth of government notes at a negative yield. Yikes.

Z3papa

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2011 BMW M3
Country flag
I must be old but I consider a sales person's time to be of value to be respected as much as I, as a potential buyer, want respect. I don't ever expect a sales person or manager to discuss terms (ultimate sales price, interest rate or trade value) until I'm ready to commit to buying this particular car now if the terms are met. Otherwise, it's nothing more than tire kicking. If the OP's car is worth $3000 to some friend which is questionable or he would have sold or be in an position to sell it, the dealer is not going to give him $3000 as the dealer is in the business of making money (ie. giving less in trade than what they expect to sell or wholesale it). If you have to wait to January to do business, and you just there to look or test drive, that's fine but don't be surprised they want to see if they can take it to the next step. They are not in the business to do show cars or do test drives, they are in the business sell cars.

Seth_FC3

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI coupe
Country flag
My down payment would be 4,000, they also said they didn't care about the history yesterday, my score is also good, 700, and I make at least 2,000 a month, they said that was enough even with 0 credit history to finance a car, so I've covered my bases, trust me, but thanks for the reply!
I thought I had at least 3 years of credit under my belt but since I have technically never owned anything like a house or car (first car was under my moms name since i was 16), I still needed her co-sign on a SI coupe, plus a down payment.