Wannabetheguy

First Name
Rhett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Impala
Country flag
Hi guys, first post here (as I don't even have a civic yet, but know I'm getting one soon.) So as you can tell I had a great experience at the dealership near where I live! I had called the day before I went to set up a test drive for a 2020 hatchback sport (I had done tons of research and knew it was the one I wanted)
So I went in, skip the boring parts, the test drive was perfect, I knew I wanted it even more now. I already knew how the dealer was gonna try and get me to leave with a car, but not only do I not even have a downpayment for a car, I was also gonna wait until January cause my credit would hit a year history, and I could switch insurance to a super cheap one as well (and actually have a downpayment,) so needless to say, I was really only interested in knowing rates outside of the test drive.
He asked what he would have to do to get me to drive a car out of there, so I said give me 3000 for my car (cause that's what a friend offered me for it,) and that I'd need to call my dad and my girlfriend to talk about it. He evaluated my car at 500$, yeah, alright buddy. I didn't get offended, I just said no, I'm just gonna wait. He says give me a second, then leaves to grab his boss, this old dude who's probably been there for 30+ years, and he tries to convince me without knowing anything I've already told the other guy, he tries to get me to sign my car over, as well as the financing paperwork.
I tell the guy I don't have the downpayment or the money to afford the insurance, and he says "so I guess we're just pissing in the wind then huh?)
It kinda just ruined my day, he was obviously being an asshole, and didn't know what was going on with me, he assumed I came in to buy when I only wanted a test drive, nothing more. It just ruined the whole new car thing I was excited for, I'm not even excited about a new car anymore. All I know is that when I go to finance a car, they are not getting my business at all. Ever.
Sorry for the rant guys, and it might seem like I'm being dramatic, but I'm just a little bummed about how I'm being treated for my business that I said they'd get, just not now.
Thanks for letting me rant to my fellow honda lovers, and I'm sure there are much, much worse stories out there.
Sponsored

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you ain't ready to buy, it's better to be up front with the sales guy before the manager gets involved. Set realistic expectations up front with the sales guy. Just tell them your time-frame before you're ready to buy and that you only want a test drive today. Most dealers will let you test drive out of courtesy and hope of future business. Service experience at car dealers is really a two-way street.

OP
OP

Wannabetheguy

First Name
Rhett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Impala
Country flag
If you ain't ready to buy, it's better to be up front with the sales guy before the manager gets involved. Set realistic expectations up front with the sales guy. Just tell them your time-frame before you're ready to buy and that you only want a test drive today. Most dealers will let you test drive out of courtesy and hope of future business. Service experience at car dealers is really a two-way street.
Yeah, I had said I just wanted a test drive And explained multiple times that I didn't have a downpayment, I feel like the clarity was there, they just didn't really seem to understand that unless they gave me 3000 for my car, I wasn't in the position to finance.

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not to kick you while you’re down, but a year of credit history is generally not enough to finance a new car. Even with a high score, they will probably want a co-buyer or a down payment around 5k, due to what’s considered a thin file.

OP
OP

Wannabetheguy

First Name
Rhett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Impala
Country flag
Not to kick you while you’re down, but a year of credit history is generally not enough to finance a new car. Even with a high score, they will probably want a co-buyer or a down payment around 5k, due to what’s considered a thin file.
My down payment would be 4,000, they also said they didn't care about the history yesterday, my score is also good, 700, and I make at least 2,000 a month, they said that was enough even with 0 credit history to finance a car, so I've covered my bases, trust me, but thanks for the reply!

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a similar situation, only I was ready to buy and had 6 grand to put down. Had been looking at the Civic for two years, waiting on a disability settlement, so we knew exactly what we wanted.
Jerk finance manager tried about 6 times to get us to buy a fit, then resorted to getting us in a bottom of the line Civic when we wanted the ext. He pissed me off so bad, we just left and got a call before we even got home saying they could do what we wanted.
I wish I had just told them to F off at that point with all the issues i had with them and that car.
Different situation than you, but the dealership were jerks just the same.

laz's SI

First Name
Lazaro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civi SI 4 door/ 2017 F-150
Country flag
To OP , with just 1 year credit , you will get a shitty bank to finance you at a high interest rate , if you have someone with established credit like your dad or mom to co sign , you will be better off, if not lease a new car , I’m in the business and I get a lot of first time buyers like yourself approved on leases with little down payment

NUshek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T 6MT
Country flag
I agree that you just need to be up front and then stick with "I'm just here for a test drive." 90% of the times I did the test drive and then walked out within a few minutes of finishing the test drive (I test drove around 7-8 cars at different dealers the last few cars I bought). The only time I got sat down to try to get me to do paperwork was at a toyota dealership but the others were cool. When you finish the test drive, you can just ask for some info and tell them you've got some research. The other thing would be to tell them you're test driving and still deciding between a few cars (even if it is a lie and you know what you want) so at least they know you're not set on that one car. I think if you gave the impression that this hatch was the car you wanted, they'd push harder to get you to buy. Just some thoughts. And I also wouldn't let it ruin your car buying experience, they're trying to do their job (as sleazy as it is sometimes) but you just gotta do what you gotta do to try to get a deal you can live with. Good luck!

OP
OP

Wannabetheguy

First Name
Rhett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Impala
Country flag
To OP , with just 1 year credit , you will get a shitty bank to finance you at a high interest rate , if you have someone with established credit like your dad or mom to co sign , you will be better off, if not lease a new car , I’m in the business and I get a lot of first time buyers like yourself approved on leases with little down payment
Unfortunately my family is not the helping type, and I understand the interest payment will probably be more than what most people would pay, this can just help me build credit faster, then maybe after a year I can ask my bank (a credit union) to take over the loan and lower my interest rate, but I understand that most likely the interest rate will probably be a rip-off, thanks for the reply, I appreciate the input!

OP
OP

Wannabetheguy

First Name
Rhett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Impala
Country flag
I agree that you just need to be up front and then stick with "I'm just here for a test drive." 90% of the times I did the test drive and then walked out within a few minutes of finishing the test drive (I test drove around 7-8 cars at different dealers the last few cars I bought). The only time I got sat down to try to get me to do paperwork was at a toyota dealership but the others were cool. When you finish the test drive, you can just ask for some info and tell them you've got some research. The other thing would be to tell them you're test driving and still deciding between a few cars (even if it is a lie and you know what you want) so at least they know you're not set on that one car. I think if you gave the impression that this hatch was the car you wanted, they'd push harder to get you to buy. Just some thoughts. And I also wouldn't let it ruin your car buying experience, they're trying to do their job (as sleazy as it is sometimes) but you just gotta do what you gotta do to try to get a deal you can live with. Good luck!
You're right, and it's replies like these that make me feel better, next time I'll have my dad with me too so that'll help, but I'm probably not gonna give my business to that dealership, I have many options living outside the largest city in my state. Thanks for the kind words!

TheHorse13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic LX
Country flag
Unfortunately, your first sour dealership experience will not be your last. This scenario has played out for decades and will likely continue for many more.

The important thing to remember when you walk into a dealership is to leave your feelings at the door. The environment may appear friendly but the people are there for one purpose only; to sell you a car no matter what story you have. They don't care that you're there for a test drive because you are a sales opportunity. They will not be nice once they figure out that you're a dead end sales opportunity. Again, your job is to get the best price and their job is to get the most money out of you. This is the game so prepare yourself completely before going to a dealership.

The good news is that every so often you'll find a dealership where they will not behave this way. The bad news is that you don't find them often and they are becoming even harder to find these days.

All of that said, if you think dealing with the sales crew is bad, wait until you have your first bad experience with a dealership service manager.

OP
OP

Wannabetheguy

First Name
Rhett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Impala
Country flag
Wow, that's rough, I wish people like that would just get fired, if you're bringing unwanted personal feelings and actions into a professional setting, you don't deserve your job.
Sponsored