My CTR failed NYS inspection

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
Click bait thread title.

Had my CTR at my local Honda dealer for its first New York State inspection. FAILED! The front tires do not have enough tread to pass. I guess 10k miles and 6 auto cross events is about all the stock tires can take. lol. I should have rotated them a little more often. I told them I had a set of all-seasons at home and would bring them with me when i came back, so they didn't scrape my sticker off.
Sponsored

Teach-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rallye Red CTR #22518; 2017 Golf R
Country flag
I’m shocked they even bothered to check your tires. I remember getting my STi inspected with a full 3” catless TBE and they just rolled in, hooked it up, ran the scan and slapped a sticker on it. Didn’t look at anything.

Side note; kinda miss Oswego although I never understood the hype the Rudy’s got for just being oily fried seafood

OP
OP
FifStreet

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m shocked they even bothered to check your tires. I remember getting my STi inspected with a full 3” catless TBE and they just rolled in, hooked it up, ran the scan and slapped a sticker on it. Didn’t look at anything.

Side note; kinda miss Oswego although I never understood the hype the Rudy’s got for just being oily fried seafood
I think they were looking for an excuse to sell me tires, honestly. lol

I think the draw of Rudy's isn't the food but the location. BTW the water was super high this spring and severely damaged the shoreline at Rudy's its a mess.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Take pictures of your treads here so we can judge if they were trying to hose you. If they were I'd leave the tires on there, get your money back, and get it inspected somewhere else.

Teach-R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rallye Red CTR #22518; 2017 Golf R
Country flag
I think they were looking for an excuse to sell me tires, honestly. lol

I think the draw of Rudy's isn't the food but the location. BTW the water was super high this spring and severely damaged the shoreline at Rudy's its a mess.
That sucks, I haven’t been up there in about 19 years. Beautiful area. SUNY Oswego has changed quite a bit since I went

OP
OP
FifStreet

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Take pictures of your treads here so we can judge if they were trying to hose you. If they were I'd leave the tires on there, get your money back, and get it inspected somewhere else.
They are down to the tread wear indicators, so no they aren't trying to "hose" me. but what was funny is that they told me that the tires were $300 a piece and they didn't have any locally and would have to order them. The service person seemed to have this pained look on his face like the was telling me my dog just died. I said no big deal I will just bring it back with my other set. I think they are probably used to having people freak out when they tell them they need new tires. lol.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
They are down to the tread wear indicators, so no they aren't trying to "hose" me. but what was funny is that they told me that the tires were $300 a piece and they didn't have any locally and would have to order them. The service person seemed to have this pained look on his face like the was telling me my dog just died. I said no big deal I will just bring it back with my other set. I think they are probably used to having people freak out when they tell them they need new tires. lol.
That’s straight forward enough. The stock Contis go for around 300 a pop. Though many end up going to a better, longer lasting tire.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
lol pushing 20k miles on the original tires. DD with 1 autox in it. Already got another set of newish 4 conti take offs from other owners.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
The stock tires/wheels are terrible on these Upstate NY roads. I hit some kind of huge rock while heading north on the Thruway the other night and ripped a huge chunk of tire off. Had to put my cold weather all seasons on, which are a lot softer riding but don't have anywhere near the same road feel.

OP
OP
FifStreet

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Pics of one of my fronts and one of my rear tires.

I will keep them for strictly autocross until they have zero tread.

Honda Civic 10th gen My CTR failed NYS inspection 20190806_180509

Honda Civic 10th gen My CTR failed NYS inspection 20190806_180649

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Past the wear indicators, sure, but I don't know a single inspection place I've ever used that would fail you over that. Steel showing? Completely bald? Sure I could see that - but those? Lol they are down but not 'fail inspection' out unless they just wanted to sell something else like tires.

OP
OP
FifStreet

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Past the wear indicators, sure, but I don't know a single inspection place I've ever used that would fail you over that. Steel showing? Completely bald? Sure I could see that - but those? Lol they are down but not 'fail inspection' out unless they just wanted to sell something else like tires.
Not sure what state you live in, but New York requires 2/32 of tread depth.

Do other states only fail if the tire is fully bald!? That's crazy.

slowride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Type-R
Country flag
yes. I am. Then they lasted as long as they are rated for.
I'm at 12k with no autocross sessions and I am at the wear bars on my fronts. I am surprised you even got 10k out of them if you ran autocross several times.

Caestus

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Click bait thread title.

Had my CTR at my local Honda dealer for its first New York State inspection. FAILED! The front tires do not have enough tread to pass. I guess 10k miles and 6 auto cross events is about all the stock tires can take. lol. I should have rotated them a little more often. I told them I had a set of all-seasons at home and would bring them with me when i came back, so they didn't scrape my sticker off.

I used to live in NY for 20 years, born and raised. Learn what places to take your car to! Also slip a 20 dollar bill hanging out of the CD player.... oh wait......

No but really I find this completely hilarious.
Sponsored