My Civic is offically a write off...so now what?

Farah487

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Accord
Vehicle Showcase
Got the call from my insurance that my 2016 civic coupe is a write off and that they will settle with Honda with the remaining cost of the car.

So for my replacement I was thinking maybe to get the touring version of the same car but in white. The benefits of leather seats, wireless charging, & premium speakers would make it a step up over the EX-T model which I had, or instead I could opt for an si since the price between the touring and an si isnt big but I dont really know how to drive manual and I feel as though driving an si might be more costly for insurance.

I was also considering the new 2018 accords, but almost $40,000 for a Honda is too much in my opinion. I could however wait to see when the 2019 civics drop and too see whether or not they add that infotainment system they have in the accords because thats one of the main things that attracts me to considering an accord but I dont know.

Thats just just kind of my thought process right now. Im still sad about losing my civic coupe since it was my first brand new car and I loved every second of driving it.
Sponsored

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I'm not sure about Canada, but here in the US a Civic Si isn't significantly more expensive to insure than an regular Civic.

If you "really don't know how to drive a manual", buying one probably isn't a good idea. Sometimes, people aspire to own a manual and really enjoy it at first, but then grow tired of it after the novelty wears off in city traffic.

Have you considered the Accord Sport 2.0? I traded a 2017 Civic Si sedan for one and I really enjoy it. It's faster than the Civic Si. The 2.0T engine makes tons of torque at low RPM's and the 10-speed automatic transmission is a gem. The Sport comes with the 10-speaker premium audio system in Canada.

The 2019 Civic will likely add a new infotainment system with volume knob as seen in the 2019 Insight, but the latest word is that the 2019 Civic won't arrive until later than usual this year. The 2019 Accord may not arrive until next year. Here in the US, you can get a new Accord for thousands off the sticker price.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Accord is a good choice. $40k seems kind of high... I though you couldn't into a 2.0t for around 30k-35k... though depending on the deal you get and where you may live, I suppose you might touch 40k on the highest trim.

Variety is also the spice of life. Back to back same-model same-gen car may give you model-fatigue. You had a great experience with a '16, the first year after a major redesign. I would look across the automotive landscape and see if there's anything else that interests you. There'll be a lot of new models coming out for automakers in '19-'20 other than Honda... so it may not be too different when you took the plunge with your '16... and you need a car now. I'd suggest you hit all the car makers and give them all a look. Then if you pick a Civic, you know that it's still your tops, even after 3 years... and that the Accord wins out. I kind of think, in it's segment, the Accord is an easy pick over the Altima/Malibu/Sonata/etc. and gives a driving experience the good but, well, boring Camry can't quite provide.

Blindeye_03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 CTR - White
Country flag
If my SI were to be totaled I thought about a new accord but they are so big, I doubt it'd fit into my garage. My SI barely fit and the rental Chevy Impala wont fit at all (I have about a foot of space taken with shelves and a ladder).

The Accord is also a bit more than the Civic but that depends on the trim level too.. I do like the Accord headunit though. Maybe grab a slightly used '17 or '18 Civic and then trade up to the Accord once its in your price range?

davidgostbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Ex-t 2016
Country flag
Ever look into the Honda insight? The interior is so nice imo. Plus everyone of them has sensing standard

OP
OP
Farah487

Farah487

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Accord
Vehicle Showcase
Went to a dealership yesterday just to look around and man the accords are HUGE! For being a single guy with no family & stuff I think it would be waste if I were to buy one. And honestly after looking around at other cars from different brands like Dodge, Ford, Hyundai, Kia, VW I can honestly say none of them compare to the cars that Honda puts out for my target purchase price in my opinion. So now it comes down to either a 2018 civic coupe or a 2018 si. With the price being so minimal between the two it only makes sense to get the si but not knowing how to drive manual deters me away from it. This is going to be a hard decision for me and is going to be one i'm really going to have to thoroughly think about for the coming days...

OP
OP
Farah487

Farah487

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Accord
Vehicle Showcase
I would recommend an Si all day the manual is very easy to learn on in Hondas. I bought my 2018 LX manual with low knowledge on manuals and after 2 weeks I was perfectly fine.

If you want an automatic still I would maybe opt for the Accord LX honestly it has alot of features of the highest trim civic for not much more of a price. You still get push button start and the beautiful infotainment system on the accord
2 weeks eh? That honestly gives me hope. What were some of the steps you took in order to learn?

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
2 weeks eh? That honestly gives me hope. What were some of the steps you took in order to learn?
If you have any friends who drive a manual, ask for a lesson in an empty parking lot. If not, salesmen have been known to give lessons for the sake of closing the deal. Getting the basics down is pretty easy; the hard part is applying them under pressure when you're first at a stoplight, on an incline*, etc.

* This is much less of an issue in 10th gen Civics because of the brake hold feature you can toggle on

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Can you wait for 2019s and have a temporary car you can use for now? I'd wait for the hopefully updated infotainment and other improvements with the mid model refresh due. Would make either of those Civics you are considering that much better.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
There are guys out there with a CTR that doesn't know how to drive stick before buying ( me ) . So if we can do it you can do it too .

I think I'm a semi pro now , although I still cheat with the rev match .

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
The $40k Accord will have the HUD feature, paddle shifters, push button transmission, ventilated seats, the nicer Infotainment, cooler instrument cluster, , traffic sign recognizer, nicer leather seats, and a drive that wins it a place on C&D's 10 best list.

I imagine if you wait a while you may see a couple of slightly used Accord Tourings at your local dealership.

Yes it's $40k for a Honda, but it's AJAC car of the year :headbang:and C&D's 10 best :headbang: and in 5 years will probably be better than any boat GM or Hyundai is going to put out.

You will have a hard time finding a low km certified pre-owned Lexus or BMW with these plusses if you think $40k CDN is too much for an Honda.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Accord is a good choice. $40k seems kind of high... I though you couldn't into a 2.0t for around 30k-35k... though depending on the deal you get and where you may live, I suppose you might touch 40k on the highest trim.

Variety is also the spice of life. Back to back same-model same-gen car may give you model-fatigue. You had a great experience with a '16, the first year after a major redesign. I would look across the automotive landscape and see if there's anything else that interests you. There'll be a lot of new models coming out for automakers in '19-'20 other than Honda... so it may not be too different when you took the plunge with your '16... and you need a car now. I'd suggest you hit all the car makers and give them all a look. Then if you pick a Civic, you know that it's still your tops, even after 3 years... and that the Accord wins out. I kind of think, in it's segment, the Accord is an easy pick over the Altima/Malibu/Sonata/etc. and gives a driving experience the good but, well, boring Camry can't quite provide.
The top Accord Touring with everything, including 2.0T /10AT is MSRP US$ 36,700 including destination charge. This would translate to about CAD 48,000. Of course it will sell much cheaper than that.
I think it is worth it, if you want this type of car. It would compete with Nissan Maxima v6 300hp higher trims, which is sportier. But the 10AT doesn't have a match in the Nissan...it's all CVT. And premium fuel required.

Went to a dealership yesterday just to look around and man the accords are HUGE! For being a single guy with no family & stuff I think it would be waste if I were to buy one.
Well it doesn't hurt that it is large inside, unfortunately it is also larger outside. I picked Civic hatchback in part because it is over 4 inches shorter than the sedan and the Accord is another 10 inches longer than that. More space in the garage to go around the cars...

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
The Sport trim offers the least expensive way into an Accord with the 2.0T engine with an MSRP of $31,205, but you can buy them for less than $28K all day long. The very good 10-speed automatic and the 6-speed manual are priced the same. The 6MT is more fun, but the 10AT is faster.

If my SI were to be totaled I thought about a new accord but they are so big, I doubt it'd fit into my garage. My SI barely fit and the rental Chevy Impala wont fit at all (I have about a foot of space taken with shelves and a ladder).
My Accord is 14.8" longer, but only 2.5" wider than my Civic Si. My 2-car garage is just under 22' square and holds my Ridgeline, Accord, riding mower, and a couple of workbenches.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
My two cents:

Get the Civic Touring Sedan. I got a 2017 lease in Oct 17. Purchase cost of car $ 24.5K, no money down, lease payment $ 335 / month. Then get a Ktuner V2, reprogram the ECU with dual tune/21. Change the tires to Michelin Premier A/S V rated. Then enjoy that sporty and comfy ride!

Fred_Farkle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If you have any friends who drive a manual, ask for a lesson in an empty parking lot. If not, salesmen have been known to give lessons for the sake of closing the deal. Getting the basics down is pretty easy; the hard part is applying them under pressure when you're first at a stoplight, on an incline*, etc.

* This is much less of an issue in 10th gen Civics because of the brake hold feature you can toggle on
My 2017 Si has hill hold on inclines beyond a certain angle without pushing a button. It only holds it for a few seconds (or so I've been told) but it makes hill starts so much easier. I learned on a "3 on the Tree" Chevy station wagon back in the 60's and hill starts required the emergency foot brake to be engaged, and released just as you got the clutch engaged. This new manual is the easiest thing to drive ever. You may still cook your clutch, however, so try to get someone to give you a few lessons first on their car.
Sponsored