First Name
Mert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Hello everybody,

I got 2018 Honda Civic Touring on November 2017 . It was a okay car but really tired with the couple of issues I had with the car over the past two years. One big problem was the oil dilution which is a huge problem here in Canada. Time to time, the cabin was smelling oil.

Anyways, fast forward, two days ago I was driving my car to see a friend and realized that the A/C is blowing cold although the engine was running over 20 mins. I was surprised. I asked to a friend. He told me to check the anti-free. The next day morning, I checked the anti-freeze level. I did and SHOCKED. There was none!

I added some anti-freeze and the A/C started to work normally — blowing hot. Yesterday, after I dropped my wife to work, I realized the same thing continues to happen. A/C was blowing cold again!!!!

I took my car to the dealer that I purchased. They told me that they will check the car — and if there is anything relating driver error/mistake, I would have to pay otherwise the car is still under warranty (I have about 54k)

In an hour so, I got a call from the dealer. The guy sounded shocked and told me that there are serious problems with the car. The anti-freeze got mixed with the transmission oil and some part of the transmission got broken! Also, a lot of wires got burnt in the transmission. They gave me a list of items that they will change. These are:

• Replacement of all rubber hoses
  • CVT transmission replacement
  • Replacement of rad
  • Flushing heater core
  • Flushing block replacement of thermostat.

This is incredible.

They told me that it would take them up to 3 weeks to fix everything. They opened a case file and they gave me a loaner car.

I am not sure what I should do now. I was thinking to contact to Honda to see if they can give me special offer — considering all the issues. Or sell the car.

What is your suggestion?
Sponsored

schmiddr2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX-L
Country flag
Sounds like you are on the right track. Just follow through with the repairs and see how it goes. If oil dilution is going to really bother you then sell it once the repairs are done.

As for it being an ok car, yes that is true, it's a Civic, not a premium model. For the money, I can't think of many better cars. But I dont have any noticable oil dilution and that would probably be a big negative to me if it did.

Hope they do a good job replacing the parts. GL

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You had the oil dilution update done, right?
You can can worrying about it then.
ALL GDI engines do oil dilution to some extent, especially in cold weather/short trips.

As far as the repairs due your radiator’s failed CVT fluid cooler, it sounds as if Honda is footing the bill under warranty.

Good.

That’s a totally fluke failure that lunched your transmission and polluted the entire cooling system.

Get the repairs done, thank them and carry on.

No need to ditch the car.
Sponsored