My 2016 Civic Touring vs 2015 Lexus IS250 AWD ??

elykoj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic
Country flag
I am thinking about getting rid of my car and into this Lexus.... comments?
Sponsored

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Im not sure if acceleration is a priority for you, but the 2.5 V6 in the IS250 has more than enough power, but is slower than the 1.5 in your touring. Also, the only real benefit of the IS250 imo is that the interior might be a little nicer, other than that its not a huge upgrade considering you'll be going into an older used car. If you're gonna change over to a Lexus, at least get the IS350 and maybe a 2016 or newer if you can swing it. Then it's a worthy upgrade.

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
Don’t buy an older luxury car unless it’s a top trim. Outdated tech and features pretty much ruin the value of you’re purchase. If you want leather seats, just get an interior upgraded to leather for like $1500. Otherwise I see no benefit to downgrading to a more expensive older car.

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Im not sure if acceleration is a priority for you, but the 2.5 V6 in the IS250 has more than enough power, but is slower than the 1.5 in your touring. Also, the only real benefit of the IS250 imo is that the interior might be a little nicer, other than that its not a huge upgrade considering you'll be going into an older used car. If you're gonna change over to a Lexus, at least get the IS350 and maybe a 2016 or newer if you can swing it. Then it's a worthy upgrade.
The 2016 and 2015 are essentially the same vehicle. It received a minor refresh in 2017.

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I have had significant seat time in a Lexus RC 350 F Sport (based on the IS/GS, mainly the IS) and also a RWD 2015 IS 250. I have even had back-to-back drives in the IS and my Civic. I recommend giving the Lexus you have in mind a test drive, if you haven't already.

The IS 250 felt really slow to me. I'm not sure if that's because of my experience in an RC 350, but it really was lackluster, especially as it uses a 6-speed and not the newer 8-speed auto. Lexus cars also tend to accelerate in a way that is extremely smooth and luxurious, but unexciting. Even the faster vehicles feel slower than some of their competitors that are technically slower 0-60 and 1/4 mile on the spec sheet. The IS 250 definitely felt slower than my 2011, 6-speed Mazda3 2.5.

That said, the IS 250 chassis felt great. It is incredibly tight and has good body control. It is probably similar to the feeling of a Civic Touring (I haven't driven one, I have an Si). I will say, my Si feels tighter and more responsive than the RC 350 and the IS 250 I drove. I doubt the Lexus offers any significant handling advantage unless you are dying to have RWD, in which case, Lexus won't let you exploit that very much. Their cars handle on the safe side, tend to understeer.

The steering, however, is excellent on the Lexus.

As far as interior - the IS has better materials, fit and finish, you name it. But see how you feel after sitting in it. I find the design a bit cluttered and in fact, I feel better in my Civic. The driving position is lower and the simplified dash gives me a clearer mind from behind the wheel. The touch-points in the Civic -- steering wheel, gear selector -- are just as good as in the Lexus. In fact, I find my Si seats more comfortable.

I have heard accounts from 2 separate car reviewers that the Si actually feels more comfortable than the IS on the day-to-day, and I am in agreement. I do think the gap is closing between mainstream and luxury vehicles. Especially with the solid feel from the Civic, it is really unmatched in the class and closer to a premium/luxury vehicle on that end.

If reliability is what you're after, an IS 250 will probably last forever. But will you want it forever?

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
The 2016 and 2015 are essentially the same vehicle. It received a minor refresh in 2017.
True, but I still feel like if you're gonna change over to Lexus at least get the IS350. Might as well upgrade in power as well and not get a car thats slower if you're gonna go through all the trouble of replacing your car, imo.

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
True, but I still feel like if you're gonna change over to Lexus at least get the IS350. Might as well upgrade in power as well and not get a car thats slower if you're gonna go through all the trouble of replacing your car, imo.
Agree. The only nice thing about the 250 is that despite its low power, it's still a smooth and great sounding V6. Otherwise, yeah, 350 is where it's at. Even the 350 isn't startlingly fast.

ITGRAD

Love my Civic!!!
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring and 2015 Lexus CT200h
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a IS250 and it felt faster than my civic. I drove the IS200T before buying the civic and it has more HP but it did not drive as well as the civic did and had no navigation.

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Yeah, I've looked hard at the IS, and I wouldn't even consider a 250 over my Civic. Def go for the 350.
Sponsored