MXP Comp RS FK8 Exhaust Installed + Review + Video + Comparison to HKS Legamax

raytrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Grey Pearl CTR
Country flag
MXP Comp RS FK8 Civic Type R exhaust already broken in with 500 miles so it's exhaust tone changed to a much deeper smoother sound. Car has stock downpipe and RV6 Front pipe.

Video here:

Intro:
Imagine you are in 100º climate in Egypt trekking endlessly into the expanse dessert wasteland when you come across an Oasis with a nice blue unsettle lake with a conveniently placed fridge filled with ice chilled beer next to the lake. You approach the fridge and grab a nice cold one before jumping right into the cool lake. That sensation of comfort and shocking excitement from enjoying that beer in a nice cool lake would be the way I would describe this exciting exhaust from MXP. The exhaust note on the MXP produces a symphony of orgasmic tones as you do the pedal dance your way to a personal best at the track.

Review:
MXP is a subdivision of Mackin Industry which you guys probably know them as official licensed importers of Rays Wheels, Advan Wheels, Wheelmate products, Project Mu and many other high-end JDM wheel related products. Well what you might not know is they started an performance division that makes parts for several popular chassis like FRS/BRZ, Evo X, STi, GTR just to name a few. Recently they debuted the prototype FK8 MXP Comp RS exhaust at SEMA 2018. It took them 6-7 months to finally release this exhaust to the public around May. Once I got note of the exhaust release I quickly sold my HKS Legamax to try out the MXP exhaust and I am quite proud of that decision. The MXP exhaust amplifed bits of the HKS Legamax that I wish could of been better. Here are a few things I had beef with the HKS Legamax exhaust before changing over to the MXP exhaust.

HKS dislikes:
1. The tips are too small and way too close together like they are a buck tooth pair.
2. Because the tips are spaced so closely and small, it left a big gap in the exhaust tip opening area where the highly polished muffler (I swear NASA can use the HKS muffler to reflect heat from the Sun to power up solar panels with) can be an eye sore from the rear at all times.
3. The exhaust is nice, deep, and quiet. Too quiet to the point where I can't just shift by hearing because the redline is so muted I have to actually loop at my tachometer at the track to know when to shift.

Those top 3 HKS Legamax dislikes is what MXP mostly was able to remedy. The MXP design is fairly similar to the Fujitsubo exhaust in terms of placement of the resonators and mufflers so this exhaust will give you a basey note. There is no resonator in the mid-pipe as they are welded near the muffler section. There is potential in the future for you to weld in up to 2 more resonators on the mid-pipe as there is space for it if you ever go with the Un-catted Downpipe in the future to reduce some drone. The exhaust tips are adjustable and I believe in the future MXP might be offering Titanium tip replacements.

From a stock downpipe perspective and a upgrade front pipe, this exhaust has minimal to very low drone on highway speeds hovering 3k RPM. In stop light to stop light scenario there is no drone to note. Lets put it this way, my Nankang AR-1 100TW R-comp tires are louder than my exhaust and upgrade Sub setup in my car. I daily drive my FK8 68 miles per day and I don't get headaches from driving it which is a testament of livability if you are worried about drone as there is minimal to very low drone and only mainly in scenarios where there is more engine load on the highway going uphill. Going on flatland or downhill on the highway takes some load off the engine so the exhaust note/drone is reduced greatly.

Some installed pics on the car.
Honda Civic 10th gen MXP Comp RS FK8 Exhaust Installed + Review + Video + Comparison to HKS Legamax 48275850052_6fafe87045_h

Honda Civic 10th gen MXP Comp RS FK8 Exhaust Installed + Review + Video + Comparison to HKS Legamax 48275849897_e442946113_h

Honda Civic 10th gen MXP Comp RS FK8 Exhaust Installed + Review + Video + Comparison to HKS Legamax 48275768406_67d4144a43_h

Honda Civic 10th gen MXP Comp RS FK8 Exhaust Installed + Review + Video + Comparison to HKS Legamax 48275770171_91f5df77e6_h

Honda Civic 10th gen MXP Comp RS FK8 Exhaust Installed + Review + Video + Comparison to HKS Legamax 48275852237_65ca8bb699_h

Honda Civic 10th gen MXP Comp RS FK8 Exhaust Installed + Review + Video + Comparison to HKS Legamax 48275771101_c5c2a9512a_h

Some comparison pics with HKS Legamax that I previously had on the car.

Honda Civic 10th gen MXP Comp RS FK8 Exhaust Installed + Review + Video + Comparison to HKS Legamax 48275849087_a97c8ee8f8_h

Honda Civic 10th gen MXP Comp RS FK8 Exhaust Installed + Review + Video + Comparison to HKS Legamax 48275767061_c729e773a0_h

Honda Civic 10th gen MXP Comp RS FK8 Exhaust Installed + Review + Video + Comparison to HKS Legamax 48275765986_03252011cc_h

Honda Civic 10th gen MXP Comp RS FK8 Exhaust Installed + Review + Video + Comparison to HKS Legamax 48275848952_1199ac7cb8_h

Honda Civic 10th gen MXP Comp RS FK8 Exhaust Installed + Review + Video + Comparison to HKS Legamax 48275766576_96ac940418_b

Honda Civic 10th gen MXP Comp RS FK8 Exhaust Installed + Review + Video + Comparison to HKS Legamax 48275847952_5445e4787c_h

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Again with the dual tips...

Nice sound though. I just can't give up one of the key distinguishing design choices that make the Type R what it is.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
nice exhaust. If I didn't already have legamax, I'd go with this, I like the way it looks compared to legamax for sure, but I do like burnt tips...as you mentioned though, spacing on legamax is slightly annoying for some.

Morning Mahogany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type-R
Country flag
Nice video & thorough review. It does sound deep and smooth but too loud for my taste. As for appearance, I actually prefer the Legamax muffler & tips.

JSmoothBui

Jims_CTR
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R - 16626 - Championship White
Country flag
Can anyone compare the MXP vs HKS in terms of drone with catless dp? Is the mxp less?

OP
OP
raytrix

raytrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Grey Pearl CTR
Country flag
This is louder than legamax right?
Legamas it too quiet for me
Yes, I would say about 15% louder and HKS legamax is the baseline. But this is nothing like that drony Greddy or Invidia loud exhaust. I would rate those 60% louder than HKS legamax.

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
saw another thread, dude says it's super loud, lol. might be time to put my stock exhaust back on
Can anyone confirm this? It seems super tamed with a cat so I figured catless it might be pretty tamed too. I haven’t seen any video clips or anyone with experience with this exhaust paired with catless. Would really love to know

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can anyone confirm this? It seems super tamed with a cat so I figured catless it might be pretty tamed too. I haven’t seen any video clips or anyone with experience with this exhaust paired with catless. Would really love to know
Hey so back when I first put my catless pipe on with my Legamax it was super loud...then after a week it was fine. I'm not sure if maybe something like the packing material heated up and somehow helped...no idea...but it's fine now. So might be the same case for the mxp exhaust.
I've seen the mxp in person...looks better imo than hks

TypeRNY

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey so back when I first put my catless pipe on with my Legamax it was super loud...then after a week it was fine. I'm not sure if maybe something like the packing material heated up and somehow helped...no idea...but it's fine now. So might be the same case for the mxp exhaust.
I've seen the mxp in person...looks better imo than hks
Thank you for this. Does the mxp come with a front pipe?