Multiple dash warnings! Help!

Babahaji1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
According to my dash, everything that could be wrong with my new Civic hatchback just happened at once. Out of the blue, on start up, a myriad of warning lights started flashing on the dash's info screen... Transmission system problem, parking system problem, hill start assist problem, electronic parking brake problem, brake indicator flashing, flashing gear indicator light with all letters at once, traction control off symbol is on, parking symbol is flashing, maybe a couple more.

Everything seems fine, though. Parking brake works, transmission switches modes fine, brakes seem fine. The warning statements and lights come up just after startup and I can't figure out a way to make it stop.

2017 Civic hatchback EX

CVT

550 miles

Only mods are cosmetic (side markers, floor mats, seat covers, and mud flaps), no tune or electrical stuff.

Thanks for any help or advice!
Sponsored

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
According to my dash, everything that could be wrong with my new Civic hatchback just happened at once. Out of the blue, on start up, a myriad of warning lights started flashing on the dash's info screen... Transmission system problem, parking system problem, hill start assist problem, electronic parking brake problem, brake indicator flashing, flashing gear indicator light with all letters at once, traction control off symbol is on, parking symbol is flashing, maybe a couple more.

Everything seems fine, though. Parking brake works, transmission switches modes fine, brakes seem fine. The warning statements and lights come up just after startup and I can't figure out a way to make it stop.

2017 Civic hatchback EX

CVT

550 miles

Only mods are cosmetic (side markers, floor mats, seat covers, and mud flaps), no tune or electrical stuff.

I will see my dealer .

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

2017 Civic hatchback EX

CVT

550 miles

Any sign of rodents in the vehicle? Look for droppings on the dash, cupholders etc. Rodents love these civics because of the soy-based wiring, and it is very possible that something has chewed up part of your wiring harness.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Many consumer mags ( if not all ) talk about issues on dash electronic.

modelyacht

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EXT
Country flag

2017 Civic hatchback EX

CVT

550 miles

One question...have you been in the car, with the car ignition in the accessory mode lately? Listening to the radio, playing with the settings in the garage maybe? Listening to the end of a baseball game? Making a phone call in the car?

If so, ignore the errors.

Dealer explained, when the car isn't running, the computer is on, but the subsystems aren't sending data. So it sees errors in the braking system, etc. It's because the car is "on" but the components are not all powered up. Made sense to me, an corresponds to when my car threw errors.

My guess is you go to the dealer like I did....and they find nothing the first three times.

OP
OP

Babahaji1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One question...have you been in the car, with the car ignition in the accessory mode lately? Listening to the radio, playing with the settings in the garage maybe? Listening to the end of a baseball game? Making a phone call in the car?

If so, ignore the errors.

Dealer explained, when the car isn't running, the computer is on, but the subsystems aren't sending data. So it sees errors in the braking system, etc. It's because the car is "on" but the components are not all powered up. Made sense to me, an corresponds to when my car threw errors.

My guess is you go to the dealer like I did....and they find nothing the first three times.
Not that I can recall. I literally started it up, let the e parking brake off, put it in reverse, and backed out of the driveway. The warnings come on about 5-10 seconds after startup and persist until I turn the car off. Someone on Reddit suggested disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes, as that fixed their similar problem, but no luck for me. Now I have a really pissed off electrical system haha. Dealer in the morning!

OP
OP

Babahaji1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any sign of rodents in the vehicle? Look for droppings on the dash, cupholders etc. Rodents love these civics because of the soy-based wiring, and it is very possible that something has chewed up part of your wiring harness.
Rodent damage. Little shit chewed through a transmission sensor wire. Delicious, soy-based wiring harness???? Apparently it's a common issue for critters to get up in there and go to town. I would hope this would be a recall or something. $140 for an hour labor at the dealership to splice a wire back together. I wanna get in there and electrical tape the crap out of every wire!

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You are right.
If Honda put some food for rodents ( soya bases wires ) on their cars, the fix must be on warranty.

Can you post a picture or the wire ?

OP
OP

Babahaji1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are right.
If Honda put some food for rodents ( soya bases wires ) on their cars, the fix must be on warranty.

Can you post a picture or the wire ?
It's still at the dealership. They just called with an update. If I can get a pic, I will post it. Unfortunately, rodent damage isn't covered under warranty, even though they basically made it a rodent attractant. I don't even have a garage! It sits in an apartment parking lot car port. I will rage so hard if this happens again.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
" Unfortunately, rodent damage isn't covered under warranty, even though they basically made it a rodent attractant. "

Sorry I will not agree with Honda,
I will send a complain letter to consumer service at Honda asking to fix for free .
Cars are for outdoors use where are lots of animals. That is the life.

It is not the first time Ă  dealer said it is not on warranty, sorry it is too easy.

OP
OP

Babahaji1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
" Unfortunately, rodent damage isn't covered under warranty, even though they basically made it a rodent attractant. "

Sorry I will not agree with Honda,
I will send a complain letter to consumer service at Honda asking to fix for free .
Cars are for outdoors use where are lots of animals. That is the life.

It is not the first time Ă  dealer said it is not on warranty, sorry it is too easy.
Thanks for the bode of confidence. I just emailed the GM asking for them to cover it. I gave a pretty good overall description of the problem and my two cents on how common it is based on the last couple days of forum research. I really think this is an issue Honda needs to fix.

skullmurdoc

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic SI sedan 2017 , Civic SI sedan 2013
Country flag
Oh shit ! Does this happen to a lot of people. Any preventive measure can be taking ?

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
I have been paranoid about this ever since I first started reading about it. I sadly do not have a garage where I currently am ...

DrToothache

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh shit ! Does this happen to a lot of people. Any preventive measure can be taking ?
There's a special tape you can get from Honda that repels rodents. You wrap it around all of the important wires in your vehicle.

Here is a link for the product from walmart.

Honestly, it's pretty messed up that they continue to use this soy based wiring. I've read of several people having issues with rodents chewing these wires, and it's not just Honda vehicles.
Sponsored