multi warning lights came on

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I'm going through a similar system failure. Mine has to do with all the Honda Sensing, though. They have diagnosed a camera error. Been waiting close to a week for the new one to arrive.

I'm told that, when one 'thingy' fails or sends bad data, many other associated systems will display errors. It's all so interconnected. Hopefully they can just download the errors and diagnose the issue.
Sponsored

jcivics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I found out what was wrong, and I had a sneaking suspicion as well. I knew from the way the car was acting, the battery was very low, because the second time I tried to start, it didn't even crank one time. So after watching the video about warning lights with a dead battery, went to the dealer today, bought a battery put it in and everything was fine. Then driving about 3-4 miles, noticed a high pitched whine which accompanied engine rpm revving. So I figured it was like the A/C compressor or charging system (alternator). Took it back in and yes it was the alternator had gone out. When the system voltage gets low, everything goes out because it can't supply power to the system as a whole. Luckily I'm covered even at 90k miles because I have the 8 year 120k platinum warranty. From what I'm reading online, 80-100k is typical.

As an afterthought, I was told that the 10th gen does not have a timing belt so it doesn't need to be replaced. Does that mean that we shouldn't service a 'belt tensioner'? Typically, I would change out the belt and water pump every 100k. Anyone know about services called for at the 100k mark on engine based maintenance?

Thanks!

takierosales

First Name
Romeo Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.8e
Country flag
I found out what was wrong, and I had a sneaking suspicion as well. I knew from the way the car was acting, the battery was very low, because the second time I tried to start, it didn't even crank one time. So after watching the video about warning lights with a dead battery, went to the dealer today, bought a battery put it in and everything was fine. Then driving about 3-4 miles, noticed a high pitched whine which accompanied engine rpm revving. So I figured it was like the A/C compressor or charging system (alternator). Took it back in and yes it was the alternator had gone out. When the system voltage gets low, everything goes out because it can't supply power to the system as a whole. Luckily I'm covered even at 90k miles because I have the 8 year 120k platinum warranty. From what I'm reading online, 80-100k is typical.

As an afterthought, I was told that the 10th gen does not have a timing belt so it doesn't need to be replaced. Does that mean that we shouldn't service a 'belt tensioner'? Typically, I would change out the belt and water pump every 100k. Anyone know about services called for at the 100k mark on engine based maintenance?

Thanks!
this happened with your new battery??

Trishayangelo

First Name
Patricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 honda civic ex
Country flag
So im having these problems with my 2014 civic ex. I had the battery checked and replaced my serpintine belt. It worked for a few days then happened again. My tentioner was loose so im guessing im going to have to replace the altenator and tentioner. It started with the battery dead one day then some jerking in low gears. Keep you updated.

takierosales

First Name
Romeo Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.8e
Country flag
was able to solve mine today but will still observe. They replaced this sensor (attached). So far its good. Will keep you updated

Trishayangelo

First Name
Patricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 honda civic ex
Country flag
I believe its the input speed sensor

0F2AD6AB-7913-4425-8784-923D1801AE86.jpeg
So the code that came up for mine is a misfire. I have got it down to a spark plug needing replaced. Will see in a few days if this pops up again. It is so stressful! And so expensive to take to a dealer for a $20 spark plug

takierosales

First Name
Romeo Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.8e
Country flag
So the code that came up for mine is a misfire. I have got it down to a spark plug needing replaced. Will see in a few days if this pops up again. It is so stressful! And so expensive to take to a dealer for a $20 spark plug
Were u able to replace the spark plug? And how does it run now?

Trishayangelo

First Name
Patricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 honda civic ex
Country flag
So i finally got the plugs after a week of ordering the lazer ngk plugs. And all the pulling went away. No more lights on. Works perfect. Im going to replace the coils and maybe the tensioner to keep them changed about the same time but other than that working great

Spotify21093

First Name
Sherlock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Thank you everyone for sharing the issue with the civic and posting the solutions that worked. I have a 2014 civic ex. A couple of days ago I started the car and it started just fine but the rpm needle just started to go too low and then would jump up as the on board computer would try to keep the car from stalling. I was able to drive the car but it felt like it was going to stall second. The car was running very jerky and sluggish and yes, I also noticed my exhaust pipe was making a flappy noise too and some clear liquid was dropping from the exhaust, idk if it was water or if it was gasoline. Then all of a sudden all hell broke loose. The dashboard started showing everything was failing. All sorts of warning messages started flashing on the screen like the TPMS, steering wheel failure, the traction control failure, engine something failure, etc and all the different symbols light on the dashboard turned on. Anyways, I drove it to auto zone slowly as my friend followed me, just in case it broke down on my way there. Once I got there I had the guy check it out with the gadget that the have. He plugged it in and ran it. Then we went inside the store where he hooked up gadget to the computer and it listed all the errors that the car was throwing. All the errors were the same "cylinder 4 misfire". So he told me to buy the sparkplugs so I did. I wanted to change the coils too but he said it's most likely just the sparkplugs. I had my tool box with me so I just bought the sparkplug socket and changed all four of my sparkplugs in the parking lot. It took me probably 15mins to change them out and it was so darn easy to do. I had done it before on my 2000 maxima and that was so difficult to do but with civic its definitely diy for everyone regardless of who you are. Anyways don't forget the special grease that goes on the treads of the sparkplug and before doing anything disconnect the negative terminal of the car's battery. So now once I reconnected the battery after changing the sparkplugs, I turned on the car and it did without any issues. Then I drove around and it runs perfect. I didn't see any of the messages because the computer resets when you disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for a bit. So far the car has been running smooth and there is no check engine light or any light on. So if you are having the same issue, before you take it to the dealer and have them make up issues that are not there, just take your car to autozone or any other shop that does it and just have them tell you what error messages your car is showing and then just fix that problem. Most likely that will fix the issue and if not then go hire someone to fix it or go to the dealership. If it is the sparkplugs then you are lucky coz that's an easy diy fix and the sparkplugs cost me around 40 dollars for all four because I got the NGK iridium ones. I hope this helps anyone who is freaking out like I was. Thank you everyone.

Honda Civic 10th gen multi warning lights came on 20200227_165058

Honda Civic 10th gen multi warning lights came on 20200227_165055

OP
OP

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
Thank you everyone for sharing the issue with the civic and posting the solutions that worked. I have a 2014 civic ex. A couple of days ago I started the car and it started just fine but the rpm needle just started to go too low and then would jump up as the on board computer would try to keep the car from stalling. I was able to drive the car but it felt like it was going to stall second. The car was running very jerky and sluggish and yes, I also noticed my exhaust pipe was making a flappy noise too and some clear liquid was dropping from the exhaust, idk if it was water or if it was gasoline. Then all of a sudden all hell broke loose. The dashboard started showing everything was failing. All sorts of warning messages started flashing on the screen like the TPMS, steering wheel failure, the traction control failure, engine something failure, etc and all the different symbols light on the dashboard turned on. Anyways, I drove it to auto zone slowly as my friend followed me, just in case it broke down on my way there. Once I got there I had the guy check it out with the gadget that the have. He plugged it in and ran it. Then we went inside the store where he hooked up gadget to the computer and it listed all the errors that the car was throwing. All the errors were the same "cylinder 4 misfire". So he told me to buy the sparkplugs so I did. I wanted to change the coils too but he said it's most likely just the sparkplugs. I had my tool box with me so I just bought the sparkplug socket and changed all four of my sparkplugs in the parking lot. It took me probably 15mins to change them out and it was so darn easy to do. I had done it before on my 2000 maxima and that was so difficult to do but with civic its definitely diy for everyone regardless of who you are. Anyways don't forget the special grease that goes on the treads of the sparkplug and before doing anything disconnect the negative terminal of the car's battery. So now once I reconnected the battery after changing the sparkplugs, I turned on the car and it did without any issues. Then I drove around and it runs perfect. I didn't see any of the messages because the computer resets when you disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for a bit. So far the car has been running smooth and there is no check engine light or any light on. So if you are having the same issue, before you take it to the dealer and have them make up issues that are not there, just take your car to autozone or any other shop that does it and just have them tell you what error messages your car is showing and then just fix that problem. Most likely that will fix the issue and if not then go hire someone to fix it or go to the dealership. If it is the sparkplugs then you are lucky coz that's an easy diy fix and the sparkplugs cost me around 40 dollars for all four because I got the NGK iridium ones. I hope this helps anyone who is freaking out like I was. Thank you everyone.

20200227_165058.jpg

20200227_165055.jpg
nice, but NGK do not recommend any type of grease on their spark plugs.

Spotify21093

First Name
Sherlock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
nice, but NGK do not recommend any type of grease on their spark plugs.
Really? I didnt know that. I wonder why tho. Anyways good to know, I just didn't want it to seize in there coz next time it will be very difficult to remove it. Interesting tho. Thanks!

^oh I just looked it up on their website.

Honda Civic 10th gen multi warning lights came on SmartSelect_20200229-200818_Chrome

iibernardii

First Name
Ram
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sports
Country flag
Where on car is this pic. Is it accessed underneath? I am trying to figure it out. Do I remove the steel plate?(one to access oil filter)? Thanks

* This is ridiculous! All of us have the same issue, Chewed by rodent! WTF! I just read all of the thread. Mine happend 2 months after purchased.

I purchased mine 2017 of July, Had 1st issue with EPS and warning lights Sept 2017. Honda Service say it was chewed wirings.

A week ago while driving back home my Steering wheel got so stiff and all warning lights came out. Got towed and the next morning Honda service didn't see any warning light to run the code or check what is going on. And told me to come back if I have the warning lights,. I said wtf! I need to be driving and risk my safety here?! So disappointed.
Sponsored

Last edited: