98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
This thread reminds me of some threads back in NWP or H-T when Mugen first started showing up in the US for the early model Civics and such. People bashed and favored Wings West or VIS replicas. I have a feeling the same will happen with FK8 parts once discontinued.
I havent heard those names in a really long time. I miss what H-Tech used to be.
Sponsored

FC3L15B7

I'm a machine.
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic 2 Door Coupe Si / 1993 Chrysler Intrepid 3.5L
Country flag
Saw this on YouTube and actually LoLā€™d. Mugen out here charging Insane prices for their products. I understand that itā€™s not for everyone, I understand itā€™s priced for well off people, I understand you as the content creator know your own worth, but damn! The fk8 is only a 35k car. That alone should give them an idea what the target market should be. Hell, even if it was a thousand or two more than regular parts Iā€™m ok with. I understand you gotta get ya money, but holey moley 7k for an exhaust, 9k for a carbon wing, 10k for a carbon hood smh...lol even the guy interviewing him was a bit taken aback by the prices.
I never planned to buy it any, but I do know some people who was planning to do the mugen build thing good luck.
If you don't buy Mugen, you can't say it and that's half the fun. Moo-GEN.
Unless of course you start by saying, "You know what modifications I don't have?"

OP
OP
Ismael Lafluer

Ismael Lafluer

Project Harukonokaze R-00691
First Name
Ismael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R, 2016 Honda Accord sport, 2007 Honda Pilot
Country flag
If you don't buy Mugen, you can't say it and that's half the fun. Moo-GEN.
Unless of course you start by saying, "You know what modifications I don't have?"
Mooo gen! If I could get one part Itā€™d be the wing.

Akutober

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR CW
Country flag
My thoughts on some Mugen Parts

Shift Knob - Really nice! Bigger than the Stock on and doesn't have temp issues.
Lip - Looks really good IRL especially in CW or Black.
Grill Garnish - Looks good but not doesn't pop out as much as the Lip IMO
Rear Diffuser - I didn't like the look at first, but makes the back more aggressive and is kinda cool. Not worth though.
Wheel - Really cool looking, expensive, but very cool.
Exhaust - Looks nice but Hella not worth, same with Hood

LED Tail lights - They look nice, but the light on the trunk does not work with these Mugen Lights. Kinda sucks.
Mirror Caps - Don't look good to me, not worth.
Mirrors - Looks good, has the turn light function, pricey though ~$300 compared to spoon $115

I think at the end of the day, they are strong in the ACCESSORY game than they are the MOD game.

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Only Mugen things I can afford:
Shift knob
Reservoir cover
LED taillights

Hoobastnk90

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Someone posted there LED tails fitment issue which really is a bit dissapointing hopefully just a one off.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Mirrors - Looks good, has the turn light function, pricey though ~$300 compared to spoon $115
The price difference is that the mirrors are replacements and not stick on. They retain defroster and turn signal functions in the markets that have them (US Civic Touring model has both). Plus the blue tint doesn't fade as with the Spoons. You can get the Mugen mirrors for $230 (if you know how to use Rakuten).

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Someone posted there LED tails fitment issue which really is a bit dissapointing hopefully just a one off.
I canā€™t speak for everyone else that has the taillights but mine fit like OEM.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
My thoughts on some Mugen Parts

Shift Knob - Really nice! Bigger than the Stock on and doesn't have temp issues.
Lip - Looks really good IRL especially in CW or Black.
Grill Garnish - Looks good but not doesn't pop out as much as the Lip IMO
Rear Diffuser - I didn't like the look at first, but makes the back more aggressive and is kinda cool. Not worth though.
Wheel - Really cool looking, expensive, but very cool.
Exhaust - Looks nice but Hella not worth, same with Hood

LED Tail lights - They look nice, but the light on the trunk does not work with these Mugen Lights. Kinda sucks.
Mirror Caps - Don't look good to me, not worth.

I think at the end of the day, they are strong in the ACCESSORY game than they are the MOD game.
I also saw that they have a short shifter on RHDJapan for the FK8. I think it's a few hundred bucks though. I was considering their bumper garnish (covers the fake vents in the front), though for 300 bucks it's a couple pieces of plastic trim.

Their shift knob is probably one of the best investments I made with the car. It's price the same (if not less than) the CTR red accessory knob, but feels better to shift and sits almost as low as the stock knob. Offers a similar shift feel to the stock without the temperature issues in the summer.

JohnEBlaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 CW Type R
Country flag
I also saw that they have a short shifter on RHDJapan for the FK8. I think it's a few hundred bucks though. I was considering their bumper garnish (covers the fake vents in the front), though for 300 bucks it's a couple pieces of plastic trim.

Their shift knob is probably one of the best investments I made with the car. It's price the same (if not less than) the CTR red accessory knob, but feels better to shift and sits almost as low as the stock knob. Offers a similar shift feel to the stock without the temperature issues in the summer.
Thanks for the info. Iā€™ll wait for reviews before doing anything.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
See the problem I have with their shift knob is that the knock offs that are literally 10% of the price give you 95% of the quality. Someone posted a direct comparison between a real and knock off shift knob and the differences are minute.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
See the problem I have with their shift knob is that the knock offs that are literally 10% of the price give you 95% of the quality. Someone posted a direct comparison between a real and knock off shift knob and the differences are minute.
I was one person who posted the differences (there may have been others, I'm not sure)... There differences in diameter were about 1-2mm in diameter which seems very small but still accounts for 3-6mm in circumference (1/8 - 1/4"). If you look at the volume, the fake actually feels that much larger compared to the genuine (6-12% difference in volume). Despite the fake knob being heavier than the genuine one, the volume differences actually made it so the genuine one was denser than the fake one. There is a very distinct difference between the two knobs when shifting. The fake one doesn't feel smoother or quicker to shift than the genuine one. The only way I could explain it is to say that the fake variant felt a bit more "floaty" than the genuine one. In terms of providing a good shift experience, I feel like the fake offers about 75-80% what the genuine offers.

This is from a physical standpoint mind you. The stitch quality is on a completely different level, so is the leather quality, cut, and sizing. The fit and finish on the genuine far surpasses the fake in just about every aspect. I'd say that in terms of fit, finish, materials, and build quality the fake is anywhere between 50-60% what the genuine offers.

Realistically, I'd actually say that you pay 10-25% of the price to get somewhere between 75-80% of the quality if all you care about is the size, weight, and shift feel of the knob. If you take into account the materials, fit, finish, etc. then that same 10-25% gets you about 65-70% the quality of the genuine after you average the two out.

Let's put it another way though, I've only used the fake Mugen knob for about 5-ish days. The genuine one has been used for at least 100 total days of use. I paid about 30 bucks for the fake and about 180 for the genuine. The fake knob has costed me about six bucks a day for the use that it gave me, the genuine costed a buck eighty for every day it was used.

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I saw that on RHDJapan for the longest time. Looked interesting, how is it? I wonder how it'll compare to the new shifter Honda created for the 2020 CTR.
I wouldn't buy from RHDJapan. The one from King is exclusive to the NA market due to the lever sitting towards the driver (to the left). The one from RHDJapan probably sits closer to the right.

From what I could tell (I haven't had a stock, factory shifter in a long time), it is a little shorter but smoother/crisper than stock CTR.
Sponsored