helheim

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Finding the CTR at MSRP is very possible but can also take a lot of time, months in my case, I emailed every dealer that had Rallye Red in my vicinity before finally striking a deal 3 hours south of my area. It took about 4 months start to finish looking for the car, each dealer I spoke to wanted well above MSRP. My brother also bought a CTR a few weeks ago and it took him a solid month of looking for a CTR before landing at MSRP.

A lot of folks say that they bought at MSRP but had to pay for options. That is a bit vague to understand the true costs. Some dealers charge thousands of dollars for a trunk tray, tint and all weather mats, so IMO those buyers are not buying at MSRP, they are paying huge mark up for "accessories".

I paid 36,595 and I got $15k on trade in for my 2015 Si, this was $1600 more than KBB said fair trade in value was, so the deal was a no-brainer for me. The bad part was having to drive 6 hours round trip to get it.

As for the production schedule - continuous production of the CTR is unconfirmed, and in fact it is easy to surmise it will be discontinued after 2020 based on what Honda states under their feature section of the Civic Type R (look for "limited production"). It seems plausible that there will be a 2020 model as the UK factory building the CTR is set to close at the start of 2021 (at which point, presumably from my perspective, the North America plant would begin production of the 11th gen Civic platform). Lastly, it seems that like with a new color for 2019 (Sonic Gray Pearl), the 2020 CTR model will have a new color offered in yellow, that is almost guaranteed at this point.

It seems like CA is a bad state for finding MSRP (my state FL isn't much better), so you can also look at buying it from out of state and having it shipped in. Another option a forum member did was flying one-way out of state to get the car, and then driving it home. Personally, I'd rather ship or fly to get the CTR than to give some greedy dealers pure profit, after they're making a nice dollar selling it at MSRP.

Good luck mate
Yeah out of state seems much easier. I called 3 dealers out of state and found a 2018 for msrp in NJ. This was after calling every dealer within 150 miles of me and the best I got there was 2-3k over.
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I find it laughable that dealers are still asking over MSRP for these cars when I have seen some sitting on lots for months.

WindJunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE USA-367, 2011 Civic Si (FA5)
Country flag
I find it laughable that dealers are still asking over MSRP for these cars when I have seen some sitting on lots for months.
I totally agree. Coggin Honda Orlando and Jacksonville both several CTRs but refuse to sell at MSRP. Coggin Honda DeLand has a red one that they've had on the showroom floor since early January. Yikes...

OP
OP
helheim

helheim

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I was laughed at when I told the manager of a Cali dealer I was look for one at MSRP. He said the have never and will never sell one for anything below 7k over plus add ons. I told him to have a nice day lol

OP
OP
helheim

helheim

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There's a sonic gray pearl for sale in Oklahoma at MSRP I found on an FK8 Facebook group. If you're interested let me know. From what I've seen the high end to ship is ~$1000
Let me talk to the wife and I will let you know. Thanks for the heads up!

jparr007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A5, 2005 Eclipse GS Spyder
Country flag
I could be interested in flying out there. Is this still available?

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Way cheaper to fly there and drive back and it’s right in the middle of the country so the drive shouldn’t be too long. Allow up to 3 days of driving alone to avoid fatigue. Tape up the front bumper and behind the wheel wells to minimize paint chips.

OP
OP
helheim

helheim

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think they sold it. Might be worth a call though. I believe the dealer is South Point Honda.

AMA-10gen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R CW, 2015 GMC sierra 2500 HD denali Duramax, 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Turbo charged Sidewinder Banks
Country flag
I think they sold it. Might be worth a call though. I believe the dealer is South Point Honda.
Thanks for the info I might buy one from them I live in Amarillo about 6 hrs away

halohalomix206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SGP FK8 TYPE R, X5M, Mini Cooper S
Country flag
yeah I am in the same boat with dealers over here in Washington State asking from 4-10k over MSRP....

halohalomix206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SGP FK8 TYPE R, X5M, Mini Cooper S
Country flag
I totally agree. Coggin Honda Orlando and Jacksonville both several CTRs but refuse to sell at MSRP. Coggin Honda DeLand has a red one that they've had on the showroom floor since early January. Yikes...
What's the FB Group name? I've been trying to find one close to MSRP but in Sonic Grey.
Sponsored