First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I did my first servicing (A1, around 7k miles and 15% oil) from a nearby Honda dealer, just an oil change.
I have been noticing a drop in my MPG by 3-4 units. I take the same route to work and back and same driving style, 91 octane fuel. All tires are at 32 PSI. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the oil!

Any thoughts...
Sponsored

hockeyman316

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I recently took my Si to the dealer and there was a recall on the fuel mapping and they needed to do a software upgrade. Do you think that was the issue?

RobXsi

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nata
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I did my first servicing (A1, around 7k miles and 15% oil) from a nearby Honda dealer, just an oil change.
I have been noticing a drop in my MPG by 3-4 units. I take the same route to work and back and same driving style, 91 octane fuel. All tires are at 32 PSI. I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's the oil!

Any thoughts...

You would be shocked. Be did they change the oil AND oil filter? From what ive read they dont always change the oil filter.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

Any thoughts...
Did they change the filter. As per honda in 1st service they don't change filter unless u ask them to. Also, give some time to settle in after changing the oil. May be a few hundred miles will do the job

Jayceegee

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Did they change the filter. As per honda in 1st service they don't change filter unless u ask them to. Also, give some time to settle in after changing the oil. May be a few hundred miles will do the job
Could you please clarify what is meant by "give some time to settle in after changing the oil. May be a few hundred miles will do the job"
What needs to settle in ? What happens after a few hundred miles that won't happen after a few seconds when all the new oil has circulated in the engine ? Just trying to understand the mechanics you are explaining.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Could you please clarify what is meant by "give some time to settle in after changing the oil. May be a few hundred miles will do the job"
What needs to settle in ? What happens after a few hundred miles that won't happen after a few seconds when all the new oil has circulated in the engine ? Just trying to understand the mechanics you are explaining.
Are you sure the engine is not overfilled? Dealerships can sometimes fill more oil than required and this can reduce MPG.
I told to give sometime to settle in is because of new oil sometimes your driving behavior changes as the engine would be alot smoother and perform better on fresh oil. Also after few fill ups you can recalculate the avg again.

Jayceegee

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Are you sure the engine is not overfilled? Dealerships can sometimes fill more oil than required and this can reduce MPG.
I told to give sometime to settle in is because of new oil sometimes your driving behavior changes as the engine would be alot smoother and perform better on fresh oil. Also after few fill ups you can recalculate the avg again.
Absolutely agree that dealership can make mistakes in over fill on oil changes. Actually have had this happen to me twice. I must admit that I have never experienced any changes to my driving behavior due to oil change making my car run smoother. (?)

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
A simple oil change should not affect MPG unless it's a different weight. And there's really no way to tell unless you're willing to run a used oil analysis after your next oil change.
Sponsored