MotorTrend: 7 REASONS WHY THE HONDA CIVIC TYPE R DEMOLISHES THE CIVIC SI

samaximuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passat
Country flag
Has anyone seen the video? of course being you add up all of the money put into it compared to the Si... including the engine size it should demolish the Si. Not hating on the R but damn... typical media trying to create controversy :)

Here I am doing the same LOL... but the point of this write up is because I wanted to bring up that on minute 1:21 you notice it has the regular halogen lights instead of the LEDs. I have seen this before, I wonder if this will be a future option on the R.
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
The B-roll footage was taken from Nurgurgring where Honda's test mule was outfitted with halogens. Though it's unclear when this footage was captured. For a 40-50% hike in MSRP, it better perform better than the Si lol.

Practicality is a mixed bag though. While it adds the benefit of the hatch, MT completely negated the loss of rear passenger seating.

Beyond that, the video doesn't really add anything we don't already know.
https://www.motortrendondemand.com/...ic-type-r-demolishes-the-civic-si/0_3hlsg8mu/

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
its like saying the saleen mustang was a better performing car than the gt. no fucking shit sherlock!

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
Lol the R is realistically like 13k+ more than the Si. It better do something better.

While that might not seem like a crazy price jump for expensive cars we are talking the difference between a car selling for 22.5k vs 35k+

Last edited:

MugenCivicX

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I stopped taking Motor Trend seriously when they murdered Engine Masters and Head2Head. :p

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Put $10k into an Si, and then see how it compares to an equally priced (if you are talking MSRP) Type R. The Si would absolutely destroy it. Putting $5k into the Si yields an 11 second car. Putting another 5k into the suspension and everything else the Type R has would yield a $35k Porsche killer in almost every category.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Must have been a slow news day...?

Really, whatever that 'car reporters' boss was really failed when he green lit the whole 'the top performance model beats the less performance model' story.

Maybe we'll get to see similar stories on stock turbo 4/V6 muscle cars losing handily in drag races to their stock V8 counterparts next.

The idea that a car that costs 1/2 again more and has 1/2 again the power... not to mention a more performance oriented suspension would win?

I guess there's only one thing to do.

Honda Civic 10th gen MotorTrend: 7 REASONS WHY THE HONDA CIVIC TYPE R DEMOLISHES THE CIVIC SI q701tUCU_400x400

Just give it to them.

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't like the look of the hatch, and I didn't want to spend that much on a car. That reason trumps all others for me :)

It's a brilliant weapon for sure, I drove my friend's CTR and 100% felt where exactly they put the $13k. Still happy with my Si, not feeling shortchanged at all - if it was only $3-$5k more, then I would feel a little pinch.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Was thinking about it yesterday while installing my Cobra CAI - I don't think that I could ever buy a Type R. Not because it's not worth the money, but because I'd never be able to know just how good it is before spending an obscene amount of money on it. With Honda dealers outright refusing to do test drives do to the limited nature of the car, I'd have to drop 40K without any understanding of what I'm getting for my money.

I could never do that.

Sgamon12

First Name
Salvador
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Was thinking about it yesterday while installing my Cobra CAI - I don't think that I could ever buy a Type R. Not because it's not worth the money, but because I'd never be able to know just how good it is before spending an obscene amount of money on it. With Honda dealers outright refusing to do test drives do to the limited nature of the car, I'd have to drop 40K without any understanding of what I'm getting for my money.

I could never do that.
Give it a couple years when you start seeing more used ones on the market. I’d buy a low mileage one for 30k if the opportunity came up

NoelPR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ridgeline RTL-E (Thanks to the CTR markups)
Country flag
Put $10k into an Si, and then see how it compares to an equally priced (if you are talking MSRP) Type R. The Si would absolutely destroy it. Putting $5k into the Si yields an 11 second car. Putting another 5k into the suspension and everything else the Type R has would yield a $35k Porsche killer in almost every category.
Put the same amount of money on a 1st gen Hyundai Accent and destroy all of them at a fraction of the price.
It doesn't matter. All the money in the world can't convert a SI into a Type R.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I don't know, every-time I drive my 17 Si I feel like I got a bargain. I drove my friends Type-R and although I thought it was a great car there's no way I would pay 37-40k or more for it. Plus it looks more like a toy car, the Si looks way more stylish imho.
Sponsored