Motor Trend 1.5L Turbo Second Drive Review

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Motor Trend article featuring second test drive of the 1.5L turbo.

Full review: http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-honda-civic-touring-15t-sedan-review/

Having spent a number of my post-high school years engrossed in the tuner scene, my ears still perk up when I hear the words “Honda Civic” uttered in casual conversation. If what comes next are the letters “EF,” “EG,” “EK,” or “Si,” I listen even more intently. But if it sounds like the car in question is a more pedestrian model from any of the past three generations, I quickly lose interest. Now that I’ve driven the 10th-gen Civic with the turbocharged, 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine, there’s a newer model I can get excited about.

Rest of review @ http://www.motortrend.com/news/2016-honda-civic-touring-15t-sedan-review/
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

GoPackGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Energy Green Coupe
Jesus some of those fellas in the comments section are butthurt.
Yeah they're pretty funny to read. A guy admits he's never been in one but he saw one it "looks" claustrophobic inside. "Seeing is believing and nothing is wrong with my eyes" Too funny.

GoPackGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Energy Green Coupe
One comment did make a good point: "The title is stating it's the Civic Touring model second drive review. The article says the tester was the Civic EX-L model"

tcaudo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t
People hate on everything. The 9th gen civics got it the worst. I actually think the 2014-2015 si civics are extremely nice looking cars. The oem body kits are great. A quick naturally aspirated 4 cylinder that is reliable and affordable with a strong aftermarket following but yet many hate on them. Just because theyre not as fast as the turbo cars in its class. Seriously a 2014 gti, wrx, focus st they all trap 96-100mph in the quarter mile. 9th gen si's trap 94-95mph and thats a fact trolls. Its not like those cars are soooooo much faster. I like the gti, wrx, and focus st, im not hating on them just stating facts.

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I owned both a 2012 Si coupe and a 2013 Si sedan. The 2012 was horrific. The handling was unimaginably bad for a sport-tuned car, the road noise was deafening, and the interior was a sea of hard, black plastic.

Put a 2012 top trim level next to a 2013 base and the quality impression is staggering. That said, the 2012 is what a Civic traditionally was: cheap, reliable, no grill transportation. But it was on par with the previous generation Corolla. Which is not a compliment at all.

I traded out of it after one year - some owners aren't as high-maintenance or luxury-minded as me, but for me the negatives were too great. It wasn't a BAD car- but it was a disappointment.

When I got the 2013 Si sedan, it was a complete turn around. The interior was refined, quieter, and the options were plentiful. I still think the back of the 2013-2015 Si sedan looks incredible.

The 2016 is a whole different league though. I can't tell you how many times people have stopped me (at stop lights or in parking lots) and asked me what kin's of car my Aegean Touring is.

This car is exactly what I wanted. It has more power than the last non-Si I owned- which I vowed to never buy again because of the poor handling and anemic power), the good looks of a much pricier car, and features I love in cars that cost twice as much. And I don't need premium fuel anymore.

sometimestwice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I owned a 2012 Civic Si and test drove the 2013 a few times. The pillars were all black in the 2013, which was surprisingly an eyesore. Yea the 2012 interior wasn't the best on Earth, but it was a great car. The seats were a joke, especially the rear. But the 2012 Si was the best one to me. The stitching and fake leather didn't really sell me in the 2013. Plus the 2012 was the lightest 9th Si. The handling in the 9th civic was amazing, not sure what people expected from a car half the cost of its competitors? Of course I had aftermarket suspension basically it's whole life. They responded well to mods. You think the handling was bad, try driving an RSX...

mno86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I owned a 2012 Civic Si and test drove the 2013 a few times. The pillars were all black in the 2013, which was surprisingly an eyesore. Yea the 2012 interior wasn't the best on Earth, but it was a great car. The seats were a joke, especially the rear. But the 2012 Si was the best one to me. The stitching and fake leather didn't really sell me in the 2013. Plus the 2012 was the lightest 9th Si. The handling in the 9th civic was amazing, not sure what people expected from a car half the cost of its competitors? Of course I had aftermarket suspension basically it's whole life. They responded well to mods. You think the handling was bad, try driving an RSX...
Like I said, your mileage may vary. I personally hated the 2012 Si on a level I can't articulate. For me, it just wasn't a good fit. I actually loved the black pillars and headliner- really missing it in my Touring. The faux leather dash and door trim on the 13 plus wasn't gonna fool anyone, but the overall package made for s much more pleasant place to be.

Bottom line is they are always improving cars. I personally felt the 2012 was wildly uncomposed and sloppy on the road compared to my 2006 but I also don't mod.

Just my opinion, like I said- it's still hotly contested on the 9th forums haha.

TabsAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
Yeah they're pretty funny to read. A guy admits he's never been in one but he saw one it "looks" claustrophobic inside. "Seeing is believing and nothing is wrong with my eyes" Too funny.
That's hilarious - I've routinely gotten comments about how roomy it is from people who've ridden in mine.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's hilarious - I've routinely gotten comments about how roomy it is from people who've ridden in mine.
Every time I get in the backseat to clean, I'm keep thinking "how is this a compact?" haha. Haters gon hate.

sometimestwice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The 8th civic was a great car, but wasn't as pleasurable on the throttle as the 9th. Yea the 9th had its issues, but I really think Honda has improved and is learning. The 10th Civic so far has been really impressive so id assume the Si will be the best one yet.

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Too bad they didn't mention the subwoofer rattle, to get Honda's attention.

Funny to think this car is faster than the first Mustang GT's (82-84) and some of the early 90's GT's, while getting over double the gas mileage.
And surprisingly faster than their coupe test.

Sirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota Corolla
I am salivating on the thought of my car when it comes out. The '17 Civic EX-T 6MT. End of August when they start production can't come soon enough. I just hope I'll be able to get it mid-September.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
The 8th civic was a great car, but wasn't as pleasurable on the throttle as the 9th. Yea the 9th had its issues, but I really think Honda has improved and is learning. The 10th Civic so far has been really impressive so id assume the Si will be the best one yet.
The 8th Civic Si begged for mods! Once I got FlashPro, I-H-E, the car really came to life. Switching to E85 is just a bonus - good for 227whp!
Sponsored