First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The cam phasing does this with overlap during light cruise. Is not affected by the cam profile directly.
Very cool. I'll have to check out how it works... as I'm pretty ignorant on how it's accomplished. :thumbsup:

I did see one company say CTRs floated around 7300, as memory serves. Barely above redline. Anyone see how much headroom our valvetrain has? I miss the 8100 to 8600 headroom A2s had, since they shared the same valvetrain as that era's R.

Really... a high revving L15B7 sounds amazing.
Sponsored

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Our motors will always have a struggle balancing the fact that they are undersquare motors (think stroker engine).

We wont ever be able to crank crazy rpm without severe piston speed issues and cylinder wall side loading. This also affects the amount of available fuel injection window time as piston speed increases.

This fact ultimately will keep power ranges in a safe zone of 4k-7k combine that with Maperformance losing an oil pump over that during testing and I cant see ever increasing the rev limit on mine even if the valvetrain was there to support it.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Our motors will always have a struggle balancing the fact that they are undersquare motors (think stroker engine).

We wont ever be able to crank crazy rpm without severe piston speed issues and cylinder wall side loading. This also affects the amount of available fuel injection window time as piston speed increases.

This fact ultimately will keep power ranges in a safe zone of 4k-7k combine that with Maperformance losing an oil pump over that during testing and I cant see ever increasing the rev limit on mine even if the valvetrain was there to support it.
Yeah... I'm certainly not a candidate for it... but I figure the guys pushing the horsepower envelope could really use some more revs. It may take a lot of pieces and parts to get there. I'd be much more impressed with a built motor making 500 whp at 7000 RPM than one making 500 ft-lbs at 3500 RPM.

I think we'll get there eventually.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Yeah... I'm certainly not a candidate for it... but I figure the guys pushing the horsepower envelope could really use some more revs. It may take a lot of pieces and parts to get there. I'd be much more impressed with a built motor making 500 whp at 7000 RPM than one making 500 ft-lbs at 3500 RPM.

I think we'll get there eventually.
Somebody somewhere along the line will de-stroke one to make it happen, Im sure.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
This car was my first manual. As fun as it is. Sorry guys autos win races xD
Ha ha yes they do! The other day I was able achieve 0 to 60 in 5.1 seconds...in econo mode on my IS 350. Last night some clown in a GTi wasn't letting me in on an on ramp merge, all he saw was tail lights, and I wasn't even near flooring it. Especially with fwd, it's hard to get the power to the wheels, and having to shift makes things harder. I still do love manual though, nothing like driving one on windy steep roads

OP
OP
kshawn

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
The stock valve train doesn't see float till over 8k. I believe that was discovered in the beginning days with Vits car. But power drops over 7k even with the gtx2860r, stock turbo drops much sooner.

I could probably spend more time and $ with the head. And do more then just springs and retainers. 4 port can do a port and polish, springs, valves, retainers, guides, for $2800. Port and polish is $1400

MAP wanted 2400 for a port and polish l, no goodies.

But I kinda just want my car back at this point lol

OP
OP
kshawn

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
@PowerPerLiter
MAPerformance is still unsure what failed first the rod bending or the oil pump. Unless that's changed :dunno:

OP
OP
kshawn

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Out of curiosity... with the word being out there that our intake valves stay cracked open to allow a little backwash of the intake valve for carbon buildup... that would also seem to lower your effective compression ratio (is that the one they call dynamic?) since you're not compressing anything initially.

Do you happen to have talked cams and as to whether or not, during the regrind, they were going after removing this small amount of, er... 'early duration' I guess? Just interested. I haven't heard about ANY cam work on our cars up to this point. I think you're the first unless I missed someone somewhere.
I honestly know nothing on both accounts. First I'm hearing about the valve stuff. Brian crower support was quick to respond and were very helpful. I'd reach out to them directly.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Cvt transmissions are prone to failures. In theory they are great but in real applications tend to be kinda wonky and unreliable.
I don't know about that. My Brother in law has a Hybrid Toyota Avalon, plus 125K on it. The batteries are 50 percent gone, but the CVT has had no issues at all

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Manuals connect me to the road, allow incredible fuel economy, are great for getting unstuck in snow and ice, and let me do the incline rollback and engine braking to screw with other drivers.

But automatic and CVT and DSG are the future for sure. They are faster and superior options for the bulk of the population. But owning a manual means never having most of my family and friends ask to drive the car. Half of them cannot drive stick, and the other half know I won't let them drive on the upgraded TSP maps because I want my clutch to last. My wife has zero desire to learn how to drive a manual. Which sucks because i would love to teach her.
WTF is snow????? Oh yeah, that white stuff I saw on TV:D

OP
OP
kshawn

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
*Cough Maine :popcorn:

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Pretty much, shooting for that comfortable 8k limiter. I want to be able to raise the rev limiter and not worry. Especially if I up the gtx2860r to the 67.

Brian crower expects a 10% gain with the regrind on the OEM cams. But did not provide the data to back that up. So I'd be taking a $500 risk to possibly not see a benefit.
If you want that rev limiter up to 8k safely you need to upgrade your valve train

OP
OP
kshawn

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Update. New motor is going in. Finaly got around to looking at the turbo and it survived!
Honda Civic 10th gen (Motor blew)PRL turbo kit with meth injection 20191002_143828
Honda Civic 10th gen (Motor blew)PRL turbo kit with meth injection 20191002_145455
Honda Civic 10th gen (Motor blew)PRL turbo kit with meth injection 20191002_143836
Honda Civic 10th gen (Motor blew)PRL turbo kit with meth injection 20191003_135155

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey @kshawn just in case....:)

Honda Civic 10th gen (Motor blew)PRL turbo kit with meth injection PRL Turbo Kit.JPG
Sponsored