Morimoto HID trouble

Cnelms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic ex hatch, 2015 F150 XLT
Country flag
I know there are a lot of threads on these kits but i decided to make my own for this.

I originally owned a 08 civic EX-L. I retrofitted the lights and installed Morimoto HID's well i had trouble with the drivers side not firing when starting on auto headlights. Moved on the a 2013 SI same thing retrofit with Morimoto and again drivers side not firing with auto headlights on. With this one i changed both ballast and relay but still had the issue. Now I'm in a 2020 Hatch EX and installed these and of course drivers side will not fire every time with auto lights.

Now they do fire about half the time and most of the time i can turn them off and back on and they don't have issues but the other day i had to 3 times before it did.

You may also ask why i keep buying them and the answer is i don't know. I have a 15 F150 with them and don't have any issues at all

Thank you for anyone who can give some tips of something i may be missing.
Sponsored

gt58

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sedan, 2004 STi
Country flag
just uninstalled my morimoto Elite HID kit. was sick and tired of all the issues. one side turns on, they both dont. i would have to mess around with starting the car in the light off position and then flip down to auto. that would take care of it sometimes. got sick of that hassle and got LED bulbs for my hi and low beams. they seem just as bright but actually have a more crisp cutoff. i think i got the katana bulbs

OP
OP
Cnelms

Cnelms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic ex hatch, 2015 F150 XLT
Country flag
just uninstalled my morimoto Elite HID kit. was sick and tired of all the issues. one side turns on, they both dont. i would have to mess around with starting the car in the light off position and then flip down to auto. that would take care of it sometimes. got sick of that hassle and got LED bulbs for my hi and low beams. they seem just as bright but actually have a more crisp cutoff. i think i got the katana bulbs
Yeah i ended up removing the kit and just going with brighter Halogens

Donuyen18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda s2000
Country flag
I have the same issue with auto lights. I manually turn on and off the headlights. One side still does not turn on sometimes if its really cold oitside

TranceFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
Same issue on mine. I emailed them and got another ballast and still the same thing. For my it's the drivers side doesn't turn on. I usually have to pop my hood and unplug and plug in the ballast wires then it works. Love hids and don't want to switch to leds so I've just been dealing with it

63blackseries

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
I have this problem to after swaping ballast and igniters around still the same problem so i replaced the bulbs which seem to fire more often now, i am starting to think it could be the relay?

Only if i don't drive my car for a while the passenger side doesn't fire up.

julianzh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-t, 2019 GTI Autobahn DSG
Country flag
I also has this problem. Changed relay, changed bulbs, and changed igniter. I guess that hids kit is just overrated cheap junk.

J3T

First Name
Jet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Country flag
I had the same problem in my Si, my xenondepot never gave me problems. Stay away from morimoto, they have lost their reliability.

63blackseries

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
Its wierd how on my off roading vehicle the morimoto ballast and igniters bubls have been going strong for 4 years, only on the civic ive been having problems replaced ballast and ignters under warranty,

aiyapk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
Same issue here with the Morimoto’s XB35.

About 10% of the time the driver’s headlight won’t come on. Turning off for 5-10s almost always makes them come back on. I’ve measured the output from the relay when the headlight is out and can see 12v so don’t think it’s a relay issue.

Running the XB35 2.0 ballast on the driver’s side FWIW.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
HID kits were not meant to be run on auto btw. Especially if they turn off and on frequently. Never had any issues with my Morimoto's besides the old fuses getting corroded because they weren't sealed properly. If your ground point isn't good they will malfunction as well. Newer LED's are just as good as HID output anyway and simpler to use.

tanginaglaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
HID kits were not meant to be run on auto btw. Especially if they turn off and on frequently. Never had any issues with my Morimoto's besides the old fuses getting corroded because they weren't sealed properly. If your ground point isn't good they will malfunction as well. Newer LED's are just as good as HID output anyway and simpler to use.
Recommendation for ground point?

I have the same issue of the driver side not turning on. Swapped the relays around and the problem moved to the passenger side. Guess I have a bad relay...

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had mine under a bolt on the passengers side fender.
Sponsored