More sad news for the manual

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
Do you still get nice compliments from people? I love my manual coupe, Its a great combination. Looks and drives great. I get compliments every now and then, but generally Canadians are a bit more reserved and not as talkative or friendly as Americans
yes, a couple months ago I pulled into my daughters driveway and her next door neighbor was out in front and she said 'I love your car" I couldn't believe it, I never saw the woman before
Sponsored

solar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport 6MT
Country flag
Nobody who's buying manuals gives a flip about shifting speed on an auto, or 1 MPG economy improvement or anything else like that.
Damn right ! Manuals Rule !! They do dammit !

I love my sport hatch, 6spd with no BS options, it just goes....

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
yes, a couple months ago I pulled into my daughters driveway and her next door neighbor was out in front and she said 'I love your car" I couldn't believe it, I never saw the woman before
What color is yours? Few weeks ago at the coin wash, a Mercedes driver was gushing over the Si coupe and we struck up a conversation. He didn't know anything about Hondas and guessed mine cost nearly $50K. They really do look nice now, these Hondas

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
What color is yours? Few weeks ago at the coin wash, a Mercedes driver was gushing over the Si coupe and we struck up a conversation. He didn't know anything about Hondas and guessed mine cost nearly $50K. They really do look nice now, these Hondas
my LX mt coupe is modern steel

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
MTs account for less than 4% or less than 1 in 25 . Why ? Although they still cost a bit less, they are far more trouble to drive. And computer controlled auto trans like the CVT keep getting better. Handwriting on the wall, only a matter of time 'till MTs aren't offered at all.

Asgroi9399

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sport
Country flag
I’ll never understand why car companies do this, especially with some of their top selling cars. It makes absolutely no sense to me. :(

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
When buyers stop buying, makers stop making. its that simple. Not enough people buy manuals.. so makers stop making them. 10 people notice.. no one else cares.
Buyers stop buying when the only manual you make is on a fucking Civix DX only or whatever. Then the Type R is marked up $15k. There should always be a well equipped standard Civix EX or EXL with a manual in every form factor. Then people will buy it.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
MTs account for less than 4% or less than 1 in 25 . Why ? Although they still cost a bit less, they are far more trouble to drive. And computer controlled auto trans like the CVT keep getting better. Handwriting on the wall, only a matter of time 'till MTs aren't offered at all.
The time when MT's aren't offered at all is still far away. You can still today make chemical photographs, although 95% of people won't understand why would anyone want to take a picture with anything but a telephone. You can still buy vinyl records, and a needle scanner for them, and a tube amplifier with only two knobs like the Accord headunit, (an etch-a-sketch to some , but quite a pricey one) . It will just become more expensive and require more compromises, less choice. A thing for eccentrics.

Honda Civic 10th gen More sad news for the manual 2TolZupZrDLa4EX18919iAJIYYqip-PUHdpRcnYRGXuVZYcq5xh_0Ynoz1A?width=1500&height=1014&cropmode=none

The 4% number for new cars sold in the US is not current. Today the "take rate" is allegedly closer to 2% for "all vehicles" all brands. Rough fishing guys pulling their huge boats with huge trucks out of the water don't care for manual just like soccer moms don't want them in their minivan or cross-SUV.

So what is the reason to stick with the stick? Because after a perfect shift the engine sound tells me "you are a champion, sir" and it's satisfying. My boss or my wife never tells me that anymore no matter what I do.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/class...over-manual-transmissions-20180710-story.html

Last edited:

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
So what is the reason to stick with the stick? Because after a perfect shift the engine sound tells me "you are a champion, sir" and it's satisfying. My boss or my wife never tells me that anymore no matter what I do.
This wins the interwebz today for me.

andromeda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 & '16 Civics
Country flag
[QUOTE=" ... The time when MT's aren't offered at all is still far away. You can still today make chemical photographs, although 95% of people won't understand why would anyone want to take a picture with anything but a telephone. You can still buy vinyl records, and a needle scanner for them, and a tube amplifier with only two knobs like the Accord headunit [/QUOTE]

These examples are things with very many small sources. Cars are different with a very limited number of big companies with vast resources. The minute it becomes cost effective to eliminate manuals, they will, and that's apt to be sooner than you think.
Sponsored