More Rattles

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Coldest day of the year so far (20 degrees) and after driving about 10 minutes I started getting a tremendously loud vibration noise coming from the passenger side rear C pillar area @ idle which is around 700-800 rpm. When I pushed the gas pedal and the engine speeds up, the vibration stops which demonstrates it's a resonance issue. It was surprisingly loud... worse ive heard yet in this car.

Then when I pull away from the stop light, a new vibration starts somewhere in the dash. The dash vibration isn't nearly as loud but it's still noticeable. All of this is in addition to the mechanical thunking noise/"something feels loose and moving" I get at low speeds underneath the car when I press or release the clutch pedal.

I simply can't believe how many rattles, buzzes, thunks and vibrations I have in my cabin on a 2018 with 1600 miles. I have seen many other forum members mentioning these same types of issues... So is Honda's QC really this bad or did a few of us just get bad samples?
Sponsored

rive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Part of me wants to add damping material between all the panels and the wires and such running behind them. The other part of me knows that pulling every interior panel is just asking for a whole new set of sounds or problems. I still like the car enough to ignore the noise. Eventually that will tip toward madness.

Lukifer

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I simply can't believe how many rattles, buzzes, thunks and vibrations I have in my cabin on a 2018 with 1600 miles. I have seen many other forum members mentioning these same types of issues... So is Honda's QC really this bad or did a few of us just get bad samples?
I don't know, dude, but that would drive me nutz. A couple of times Ive heard a small vibration type rattle from my dash on cold days when I first start it and the idle is high, but it goes away when the RPM's drop and then I don't hear it for the rest of the drive.

I've had mine for 4 months and have 4000 miles on it.

OP
OP
Spike Spiegel

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
The other part of me knows that pulling every interior panel is just asking for a whole new set of sounds or problems.
Bingo and this is what i'm concerned about. Sure, I could complain to the service dept. and they would likely try to find & fix these things under warranty. I have ZERO confidence that ripping apart 1/2 the car would improve anything... and likely it would make things worse.

I go back to having a brand new car that sounds like a 15 year old clunker. It really shouldn't be like this. I wonder how widespread these issues are for the 10th Gen Civic's.

turbo dragon

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SI X
Country flag
so far I just have the thunk on the driver side you spoke of, but no rattles yet. sadly the radio can only go so high before it starts sounding distorted and not sounding like music anymore

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
It's still a Civic. It's also cold and that's when all the plastic likes to get nice and brittle and make the worst noises. I just turn the music up or deal with it. I stuffed some rubber trim between my rear window and the speaker deck and that helped kill that problem. There are many others but I'll get to them when I get to them.

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
I took door panles off multiple times to install speakers and amp. I didn't gain any rattles.

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
Order a auto stethoscope off Amazon. Or steal one from your kids doctor kit. Sounds are hard to find. Have your wife drive and you listen. Amazing. Maybe over OCD. Empty the car of everything. Glove box and armrest and doors. Cars do rattle in the cold. But it is nice to really find the issue. I have been there as well. Hard to pin point without a stethoscope. Then there is foam tape like door insulation people use.

SouthSideBeef

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GR86
Country flag
My car also has way more rattles than it should considering it's brand new. Not sure what happened with the quality control because my 2012 civic ex didn't have any rattles. The interior looks and feels great, but damn, rattles on a brand new car is annoying.

EcoVtec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Sedan
Country flag
It's still a Civic. It's also cold and that's when all the plastic likes to get nice and brittle and make the worst noises. I just turn the music up or deal with it. I stuffed some rubber trim between my rear window and the speaker deck and that helped kill that problem. There are many others but I'll get to them when I get to them.
This. Only ever had rattles in my RSX when it was cold. They've started up in the Si now that it's gotten down to 20 here.

That being said, it really sounds like it's hit or miss with the civic. I haven't had many other issues and I have over 10k miles on mine, but I've heard others have had rattles right away.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I took door panles off multiple times to install speakers and amp. I didn't gain any rattles.
Maybe I should take mine off to get rid of the rattles lol... My door panels rattle a good amount when I play music at a moderate level.

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
Maybe I should take mine off to get rid of the rattles lol... My door panels rattle a good amount when I play music at a moderate level.
Mine did too especially after I added in good speakers and amp. I got some peel n seal from Menards and put a layer on the inner and outter door skin I also put a few pieces on the panel itself. People say peel n seal is trash but I had it on my Jeep for years and never had problems with it. I'm removing my speakers soon, I'll take pictures if you want me to. The plastic ring around the speaker was rattling the most hitting the metal door skin.

People seem to think if you remove a panel it will automatically make it squeak. I never experienced that. If you break clips yeah it will rattle. Just be careful or replace the clips that break. It's not like the factory uses glue or sisomethi lol.
Sponsored