SI_Deedle

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si coupe pearl black
Country flag
To anyone who lives in california...anyone have any problems with policen when it comes to only having a modified air intake for their vehicle?? Specifically in san diego. Thanks!
Sponsored

FK7 Civic Pilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
To anyone who lives in california...anyone have any problems with policen when it comes to only having a modified air intake for their vehicle?? Specifically in san diego. Thanks!
Only time in 40 years of driving in San Diego I’ve been pulled over and issued a ticket just for equipment violation was not having a front plate or if a tail light or headlight was out. The CHP and police/sheriffs aren’t too concerned about what your car has otherwise from my experience AS LONG AS YOU DON’T CALL ATTENTION TO YOURSELF BY DRIVING LIKE A FOOL. If you do drive like an idiot, all bets are off on how much LEO is going to spend finding things wrong with your car. My cars have had altered exhausts, intakes, lowered, raised, darker than recommended window tinting during those years. Even running an aftermarket exhaust on my current civic which Is close to exceeding the legal limit (92-93dBL ) hasn’t attracted any negative attention, and that’s with getting stopped at a sobriety checkpoint in El Cajon this last December. Generally, LEOs don’t check what’s under your hood, only ones who asked me to pop a hood are ones who are into cars themselves and were curious what was under the hood, they weren’t looking for equipment or smog violations.

Something to be more concerned with is once your car is old enough to be smogged, you’ll have problems getting it passed now a days unless your aftermarket parts are CARB certified.

Zed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6MT FK7 (Sold), 991.2 Carrera S, 3rd Gen Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You're not going to get pulled over for specifically having a modified intake, however, if you get pulled over and they ask you to open the hood, there might be trouble there. It's pretty unlikely that they will ask you to open the hood or question what modifications you have as long as you aren't acting like an idiot/being a *** to the cop.

I got pulled over recently late at night on a neighborhood road. I had a catless downpipe that smells like exhaust, PRL Cobra intake, and TSP Stage 1 tune. Cop didn't say anything or question me about it.

OP
OP

SI_Deedle

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Only time in 40 years of driving in San Diego I’ve been pulled over and issued a ticket just for equipment violation was not having a front plate or if a tail light or headlight was out. The CHP and police/sheriffs aren’t too concerned about what your car has otherwise from my experience AS LONG AS YOU DON’T CALL ATTENTION TO YOURSELF BY DRIVING LIKE A FOOL. If you do drive like an idiot, all bets are off on how much LEO is going to spend finding things wrong with your car. My cars have had altered exhausts, intakes, lowered, raised, darker than recommended window tinting during those years. Even running an aftermarket exhaust on my current civic which Is close to exceeding the legal limit (92-93dBL ) hasn’t attracted any negative attention, and that’s with getting stopped at a sobriety checkpoint in El Cajon this last December. Generally, LEOs don’t check what’s under your hood, only ones who asked me to pop a hood are ones who are into cars themselves and were curious what was under the hood, they weren’t looking for equipment or smog violations.

Something to be more concerned with is once your car is old enough to be smogged, you’ll have problems getting it passed now a days unless your aftermarket parts are CARB certified.

OP
OP

SI_Deedle

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Tha ks for the info! I dont drive like an idiot so thats perfect. Just want my turbo to sound better thats all. Much appreciated!

OP
OP

SI_Deedle

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're not going to get pulled over for specifically having a modified intake, however, if you get pulled over and they ask you to open the hood, there might be trouble there. It's pretty unlikely that they will ask you to open the hood or question what modifications you have as long as you aren't acting like an idiot/being a *** to the cop.

I got pulled over recently late at night on a neighborhood road. I had a catless downpipe that smells like exhaust, PRL Cobra intake, and TSP Stage 1 tune. Cop didn't say anything or question me about it.

OP
OP

SI_Deedle

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thank you! I appreciate your info!

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Just buy a CARB EO# sticker on ebay and slap it on your intake. 99% of cops won't actually check if that EO# applies specifically to your intake. just make sure to remove it come smog time, because a smog tech might actually check, and fail you.

OP
OP

SI_Deedle

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just buy a CARB EO# sticker on ebay and slap it on your intake. 99% of cops won't actually check if that EO# applies specifically to your intake. just make sure to remove it come smog time, because a smog tech might actually check, and fail you.
Appreciate your help!!
Sponsored