Jonvolution

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen LX (MT)
Country flag
Hey all. So I’m trying to keep my 19 Si simple yet more fun than factory. As of right now I have a Mishimoto CAI, Mishimoto direct fit intercooler, and DC upper strut bar installed. Hear me out.

I wanted to go with an RV6 catted down pipe/front pipe combo but it requires a tune, so then if I tune it all well and good, but the problem is that with FlashPro, Ktuner, or a custom tune I’ll have to use at least 91 octane (93 recommended), anything less would likely result in engine knock. I use 89 on the regular, never 87, and 91 when gas prices aren’t insane, and I prefer to keep it that way. Honestly gas would have to drop below $2 a gallon for me to want to use 93, best results or not. Call me cheap but with gas prices climbing every month I really don’t want to feed my car gas that’s $1 more per gallon just to cruise around town. It’s my daily, not a track car.

In the future when my tires are a bit more worn I’d like to swap them with some PS2’s or PS4’s, that in itself would be huge. But my question is this. Are there any other simple mods that make daily driving on open highways with tons of on/off ramps more fun? I don’t know enough about 10th gen Si’s to just start throwing stuff on, I also don’t want to waste my money and I don’t like using cheap parts.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored

GTA1977

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Ktuner is by far the best bang for the buck. It made a night and day difference on my 2017 Si. Getting a PRL downpipe in a couple of weeks, so I'll let you know how that goes. I know here in Canada, Ultramar offers the same price on 91 octane as their 89 every Thursday. Not sure if anything like that exists in your parts.

OP
OP

Jonvolution

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen LX (MT)
Country flag
Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to throw on the RV6 setup and tune it but I’m not paying $4.10 per gallon in my daily Civic lol. And sadly our gas stations here suck. Insane price fluctuations day to day and at most a gas station will offer “points” for a few cents off. I wish we had something like that I’d fill up every Thursday!! Haha.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Premium fuel is recommended, no matter what mod you have. Any additional bolt ons will increase airflow, so if you aren’t running premium, you could see adverse side effects. Turbo engines are different animals when it comes to octane level. Regardless if you do anything else to the car, you’ll do yourself a favor in the long run by running 91 or 93.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Wow, how did Ohio gas prices get to California levels. Get an OEM Si swaybar for your rear suspension. It won't help your straight line performance, but you'll love what it does for handling.

Have you tried a tank of 93 in your car? Even with the stock tune, the higher octane will allow your ECU to give you some more performance. Not every performance upgrade is a upfront one time cost. I figure that the extra cost of 93 is like "Green Fees" or Range Fees". Just a weekly cost of pursuing my hobby of driving a performance car. And if times get tight, your can always go back to 89, or even 87.

FLOPPER

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX 6MT
Country flag

Joe_Bauers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si coupe
Country flag
> Wow, how did Ohio gas prices get to California levels

Our state gas tax recently was increased by 10½¢ per gallon

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As stated before... you can run regular (87) on any basemap. It's custom tunes... or things like the TSP stage 1 that specifically stated premium fuel as a requirement. Your k.cont will be higher and you'll run less timing under sustained hard driving and make less power. Even on a stock Si, premium fuel is a recommendation, not a requirement.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Start complaining when you are paying $6.74 a gallon for premium.
Sponsored