Mobile Start? Remote Engine Start System

HallOfPromise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Sonic
I was wondering if Honda offers a mobile start option via a smartphone app for the new Civic. I have it stock and free on my Chevy Sonic LTZ for 5 years through OnStar (even without an OnStar subscription) and love it. I am also able to remotely lock/unlock and sound the alarm via the app as well. I've noticed some other makes offer an up front charge to add the feature to their cars, too. However, I'm not seeing the option of any kind for the Civic. Does Honda not have anything like this? I like the option if I'm at the movies or at the mall and I want to get the heater or a/c going.

I'm willing to pay up front for the option but do not like the idea of a subscription payment, like I've seen with some aftermarket addons. Makes me feel like I have to use it or waste money.
Sponsored

G26okie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
I believe the EX and above have remote start from the key fob.

OP
OP

HallOfPromise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Sonic
The remote start is nice from the key fob, but that has a limited distance. I was hoping for something I can use from inside a large building or several blocks away.

HondaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I was wondering if Honda offers a mobile start option via a smartphone app for the new Civic. I have it stock and free on my Chevy Sonic LTZ for 5 years through OnStar (even without an OnStar subscription) and love it. I am also able to remotely lock/unlock and sound the alarm via the app as well. I've noticed some other makes offer an up front charge to add the feature to their cars, too. However, I'm not seeing the option of any kind for the Civic. Does Honda not have anything like this? I like the option if I'm at the movies or at the mall and I want to get the heater or a/c going.

I'm willing to pay up front for the option but do not like the idea of a subscription payment, like I've seen with some aftermarket addons. Makes me feel like I have to use it or waste money.
No, Honda does not currently have this on any vehicle yet! I have not seen it announced, but could be possible in the future!

OP
OP

HallOfPromise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Sonic
That's a shame... for now. Hopefully with more competition in the market we can see it added to a later model year. I'm somewhat forced to wait until next year to get a Civic so hoping for then.

I know all Chevy models with OnStar have it. I've also seen Mazdas and Dodge/Chrysler vehicles with it too. Let's hope they push Honda to add the feature.

mjones5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Pilot, 2004 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda Civic
I am looking forward to the remote start on the Touring. I always go outside and start up my car in the winter (in the drive right outside of my front door) and will enjoy not going outside to start it.

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Yeah my Elantra had the remote start app.
Would be nice for Honda to implement but on the plus side no annual fee.

Aetheric Continua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Out of curiosity as I don't think I've come across the answer in the manual, what is the maximum distance the remote start can be activated from?

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
I think I read 100 feet.
Which may be true with in open air.
Realistically I haven't seen anywhere near that.

But you can extend the range with your MIND!

Ok, actually by using your skull as an amplifier. With your mind sounds cooler.

OP
OP

HallOfPromise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Sonic
I saw on the accessories page they have the Remote Engine Start System II listed. It says it has a distance of up to 400ft. It also has a screen so I guess it displays if the car received the command. This looks pretty cool and something I'd be interested in, except for one thing... It appears to be missing the trunk release button. If I'm paying extra for an accessory, why do I have to lose another feature?

I'll do a little search to see if you can indeed release the trunk with it. If so then I'd accept this if no mobile start app is available when I get my Civic.

Edit: Found the manual and it states to open the trunk just hold the Engine button for 1.5 seconds. I think I may get this added on for up to 4 times the distance.

Last edited:

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Now that I actually read the manual it's working pretty well.
Enough to get from the far side of my apartment to the street.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I think I read 40 yard range. I'll have to see how far it works tomorrow. One weird thing I noticed is that with the car running as started by the remote, I can't keep it running once I get in the car. I tried both ways, with hitting the start button and with stepping on the brake. Both kill the engine and I have to re-start it. I guess it's back to the manual!

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
I think I read 40 yard range. I'll have to see how far it works tomorrow. One weird thing I noticed is that with the car running as started by the remote, I can't keep it running once I get in the car. I tried both ways, with hitting the start button and with stepping on the brake. Both kill the engine and I have to re-start it. I guess it's back to the manual!
You have to do both.
Push down the brake and then press start.

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
You have to do both.
Push down the brake and then press start.
Yes, that work to start the car when it isn't running. What I'm talking about is when the car is already running after starting it with the remote. If I touch either the start button or the brake to put in drive for example, the car stops. I did try both at once with no success, the car stop then I have to re-start it.

bhorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic EX HS Sedan
Country flag
Yes, that work to start the car when it isn't running. What I'm talking about is when the car is already running after starting it with the remote. If I touch either the start button or the brake to put in drive for example, the car stops. I did try both at once with no success, the car stop then I have to re-start it.
Owner's Manual p.402 :
When the engine was started using the button* on the smart entry remote
Depress the brake pedal and press the ENGINE START/STOP button
simultaneously.​
Sponsored