mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I know that MM would monitor the oil quality and dispalys % used. How about other maintenace items? Like coolant change, differential fluid change, Transmssion fluid change, etc.

I know our SI does not have tire pressure monitor, how about brake wear?
Sponsored

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know that MM would monitor the oil quality and dispalys % used. How about other maintenace items? Like coolant change, differential fluid change, Transmssion fluid change, etc.

I know our SI does not have tire pressure monitor, how about brake wear?
The MM schedule shows when all those things should be checked, except probably brake pads. Those are dependent on driving habits and styles, etc. There aren’t any wear sensors in the calipers.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
The MM schedule shows when all those things should be checked, except probably brake pads. Those are dependent on driving habits and styles, etc. There aren’t any wear sensors in the calipers.
I am curious. Is there a schedule for transmission service (fluid change)?

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am curious. Is there a schedule for transmission service (fluid change)?
The manual doesn't give mileage for maintenance items, due to driving driving habits. However, Sub Item #3 is for the transmission fluid replacement. This likely refers to the CVT. I am guessing it is around 40k. That being said, I have been driving manuals for many years, and never really had changed manual transmission fluid, unless there is an issue. But to each their own.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
...yes, but I couldn't tell you when it is for the MTF. Id guess 60-100k. MTF doesnt last forever but it holds up MUCH better than ATF. IMO Honda's ATF is pretty poor. My Odyssey has a conventional AT and it's periodicity is every ~30k. All the drains/fills have a periodicity that the MM nudges around based on driving style/environmental conditions. Our MTF should also serve as our differential fluid as well... so nothing separate.

Wear items or items that require inspection (tires, hoses, brake pads, belts, u-joints, dampers, battery condition, etc) would be inspected as part of a multipoint inspection process done at the dealer or available at any 3rd party shop usually for $10-20. I usually pay to have these done about once a year when I'm getting an alignment done under a lifetime/multi-year alignment package to give me a second opinion look as I generally do all my own maintenance.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
So, will MM remind me when to do the transmission service (6MT)?

Actually, in the absence of a pre-defined maintenace schedules, I hope that I can rely on MM to tell me what to do.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, will MM remind me when to do the transmission service (6MT)?
No, probably not. The #3 sub item is for CVT's. There doesn't appear to be an indicator for MTF. I have always used the 100k miles rule of thumb with Honda's. But again, I have never had any issue whatsoever with not changing MTF. If you plan on keeping the car for 100k miles plus, I would suggest having it changed then. I do not believe they make it easy to change yourself. You probably have to R&R through some obscure bolts on the housing.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It will (should)... though I don't have my book on hand to confirm this. I will say with my 9th gen, my butter smooth shifts had gotten notchy within a couple years and ~30k and, had I not traded it, I was going to drain and refill. Honda MTF is *very* thin gear oil. You can use 30w motor oil in a pinch (no lie... it is... or at least was in the book for the RSX and 9th gen). If you think the transmission is not shifting as smooth as it should, I'd recommend a change. I'm not a Amsoil man... and generally use whatever motor oil is the cheapest at the time, but out of 3 different gear lubes I tried in my RSX way back when, Amsoil performed the best by far in making a car that was shifting notchy w/a bit of 3rd gear pop out and hard downshifts into something that feels about as smooth as the 10th gen is from the factory. That's some good stuff.
Sponsored