Not open for further replies.

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Hey Guys!

We’re back with some exciting new stuff to keep your FK8 running cool. This time it’s our secondary race radiator kit to give the CTR’s cooling system the help it needs!

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Secondary Race Radiator Thread IMG_6279

“But wait, why not just design a new radiator?” A good question and one I’d expect you guys to ask. Radiators are in fact our expertise. The K20C1 with its front mounted turbo setup sits pretty far up in the engine bay and squeezes together the cooling stack, which ultimately limits the room we would have to improve on the heat exchanger. Even if we played with fin densities and bumped out the thickness of the core, we would expect cooling results similar to those from the stock system. With that, we decided to get creative.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Secondary Race Radiator Thread IMG_6318

I’ve mentioned plenty of times before the lengths that Honda went to with the aerodynamics. We’re looking to use that to our advantage with this additional radiator. Since the driver-side brake duct was already occupied by our oil cooler, we had to look elsewhere for a mounting location. That hood scoop isn’t there just for looks. It works in conjunction with the undertray to pull air behind the engine and out under the car, both in the name of aerodynamics and to help pull heat from the engine bay.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Secondary Race Radiator Thread IMG_0043

Knowing this, our engineer, Dan, mounted one of our small radiators directly in the path of this airflow to pull even more heat from the already overworked cooling system. Given the extra heat exchanger’s location, we tapped into the heater core’s return line. This way, some extra heat can be pulled off the coolant stream without sacrificing creature comforts like keeping you warm in the winter. Our road testing indicated that there’s a positive effect from installing this kit, but we wanted intensify the testing circumstances and couldn’t mimic real world aerodynamic conditions when we tried on the dyno. Getting a full test has been tricky.

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Secondary Race Radiator Thread IMG_6694

@JLOracing and his team at USR have been a huge help and have in the past used some of their track time to thrash about in the deep south’s heat while equipped with our products. However, with their engine undergoing an overhaul and the weather getting a little too brisk for proper testing, we’ve missed that opportunity this season. Regardless, we want to share what we’ve had up our sleeve for the last few months, since this project has experienced some new developments and is moving right along.

As always, feel free to shoot me any questions, comments, or concerns you might have!

-Nick

Last edited:

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Very interesting development. I realize the testing season for hot/warm conditions is over but definitely looking forword to future testing results as this project continues. Excellent idea getting USR involved in some of the testing, etc. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Hey Guys!

We’re back with some exciting new stuff to keep your FK8 running cool. This time it’s our secondary race radiator kit to give the CTR’s cooling system the help it needs!

As always, feel free to shoot me any questions, comments, or concerns you might have!

-Nick
Just like this secondary radiator idea, would you guys ever design a water meth reservoir for aftermarket water meth kits?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
I did some testing with this aux cooler on a stock CTR, in a few variations. All stock with just the cooler, the cooler with a 5" high flow fan pushing air through from the top, and with a hood with the air guide removed from the bottom so the hood scoop allowed fresh air down to the back of the engine where the cooler is. It was hard to get good back to back testing but there was some improvement. Not night and day like we hoped but some improvement for sure, especially with the fan and scoop. I will be testing more on my Time Attack car with many other changes to help cool the car. Every little improvement adds up to a bigger result.
Appreciate the feedback, and taking the time to do the thorough tests for us Jason! How's the engine rebuild going?

Very interesting development. I realize the testing season for hot/warm conditions is over but definitely looking forword to future testing results as this project continues. Excellent idea getting USR involved in some of the testing, etc. :thumbsup:
Likewise!

Just like this secondary radiator idea, would you guys ever design a water meth reservoir for aftermarket water meth kits?
Unfortunately it doesn't look like meth reservoirs are on the radar currently. I will definitely pass along the suggestion though!

love that you guys are not afraid to think out side of the box !
Much appreciated!

-Nick

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
It is in and I am on my way to California for Super Lap Battle, the secondary radiator is on as well
A little late getting back, but I saw the photos of you absolutely sending it!

Just wanted to bump this up guys since we're going to have more info coming your way soon!

-Nick

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Hey Guys!

IMG_6279.jpg

“But wait, why not just design a new radiator?” A good question and one I’d expect you guys to ask. Radiators are in fact our expertise. The K20C1 with its front mounted turbo setup sits pretty far up in the engine bay and squeezes together the cooling stack, which ultimately limits the room we would have to improve on the heat exchanger. Even if we played with fin densities and bumped out the thickness of the core, we would expect cooling results similar to those from the stock system. With that, we decided to get creative.

IMG_6318.jpg

I’ve mentioned plenty of times before the lengths that Honda went to with the aerodynamics. We’re looking to use that to our advantage with this additional radiator. Since the driver-side brake duct was already occupied by our oil cooler, we had to look elsewhere for a mounting location. That hood scoop isn’t there just for looks. It works in conjunction with the undertray to pull air behind the engine and out under the car, both in the name of aerodynamics and to help pull heat from the engine bay.

IMG_0043.jpg

Knowing this, our engineer, Dan, mounted one of our small radiators directly in the path of this airflow to pull even more heat from the already overworked cooling system. Given the extra heat exchanger’s location, we tapped into the heater core’s return line. This way, some extra heat can be pulled off the coolant stream without sacrificing creature comforts like keeping you warm in the winter. Our road testing indicated that there’s a positive effect from installing this kit, but we wanted intensify the testing circumstances and couldn’t mimic real world aerodynamic conditions when we tried on the dyno. Getting a full test has been tricky.

IMG_6694.jpg

@JLOracing and his team at USR have been a huge help and have in the past used some of their track time to thrash about in the deep south’s heat while equipped with our products. However, with their engine undergoing an overhaul and the weather getting a little too brisk for proper testing, we’ve missed that opportunity this season. Regardless, we want to share what we’ve had up our sleeve for the last few months, since this project has experienced some new developments and is moving right along.

-Nick
I can see how this would work if you could get it to fit on a fitted and sealed duct on the hood.

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Hey Guys!

Happy Friday! I just wanted to bump this thread with a little bit of an update! So we covered most of the background of this kit in the first post of this thread, but for a more in depth look make sure to head over to our Engineering Blog!

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Secondary Race Radiator Thread NLT_0856

Much like our Oil Cooler kit, we started working on assembling these kits at Mishi HQ, with a full outline of the process over on the Blog.

As always, feel free to shoot any comments or questions my way!

-Nick

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yes, please share details with us. I'd like to know:
  • What were the conditions the radiator was tested in.
  • What was the difference in water temperature after adding the radiator? Does the test car have an oil cooler?
  • Was a configuration tested where there was no oil cooler?
  • Was testing done with the heater on or off?
  • What kind of bleed procedure do you have to do when installing or changing coolant?
  • Does the radiator require modification of the rain gutter/air channel in the hood duct? Does it use the small slot and deflector that is already there?

Sales@USR

First Name
USR
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unitedspeedracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes, please share details with us. I'd like to know:
  • What were the conditions the radiator was tested in.
  • What was the difference in water temperature after adding the radiator? Does the test car have an oil cooler?
  • Was a configuration tested where there was no oil cooler?
  • Was testing done with the heater on or off?
  • What kind of bleed procedure do you have to do when installing or changing coolant?
  • Does the radiator require modification of the rain gutter/air channel in the hood duct? Does it use the small slot and deflector that is already there?
I don't have specific temp data here in front of me since I am not at the shop currently, but the initial testing was done on a stock car, with no other mods other than Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, and 18" wheels and tires. Was tested with 50/50 coolant mix, vacuum fill procedure and proper bleeding. Testing was done at Atlanta Motorsports Park and Road Atlanta in Georgia summer heat. The configurations tested were as follows:

Stock hood and scoop with secondary radiator - very little change was seen, no real air flow passing through cooler, but did take longer to reach normal temp on full cold start

Stock hood and scoop with secondary radiator with small fan mounted on top blowing down through radiator - improvement of time it took to heat soak coolant and much better recovery on a cool down lap

Stock hood and scoop with air channel removed to provide forced "cool" air to the radiator (tested with fan on and off) - noticeable improvement to time it took to heat soak, both with fan on and off. Fan does aid slightly while on track but really aids on cool down time (using temp switch auto fan control)

Stock hood modified with more opening cutout from under scoop area, with USR louvered scoop replacement with fan on bottom side of radiator so that the louver panel extracts air from the engine bay (tested with fan on and off) - Similar results to stock scoop without channel, but more improvement still and much more on recovery, was able to bring temps down to normal temp on a partial cool down lap after pushing hard multiple laps to reach 240F+.

I have said it multiple times over our development of the CTR. Every improvement adds up to better results. We have yet to find a real single improvement that solves the problem. Each test we are hopeful for better results and will continue to test more and more, with a stock platform as well as with our heavily modded shop car. This car is very sensitive to many factors, but it also pushes on pretty well through adverse conditions. We will continue to push the boundaries and keep the community up to date on what we find.

Frackz

First Name
Snoop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2018 Audi RS3
Country flag
why was that placement used? would it be possible to use the left fog light area.. so extra rad one side and oil cooler the other?

Sales@USR

First Name
USR
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unitedspeedracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
why was that placement used? would it be possible to use the left fog light area.. so extra rad one side and oil cooler the other?
there is very little room in that area for a second radiator and requires relocating horn, windshield washer reservoir, and either removing the brake duct or opening up the side grill. Mishimoto normally chooses and option that doesn't require any permanent modification like cutting open the fog light surround. The area chosen is close proximity to available hoses to access the coolant system and is an area that is not occupied by anything.....definitely a think outside the box approach that is beneficial.

averagetrackdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag
Jason@USR With your 4 testing configurations, how many more hot laps could you guys do with options 3 and 4 before the heat soak forced you to do the cool down lap?

OP
OP
Mishimoto

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
If a

nyone has any questions about the various configurations that we tested the secondary radiator in, just ask.....
Huge thank you to @JLOracing for testing this out and providing feedback for this product! As I mentioned in the post, since this product relies on the aero to work, it was difficult for us to test this out on our dyno. We greatly appreciate USR taking the time on the track to give both us and you guys the feedback we're all looking for!

Thanks again guys and Happy Holidays!

-Nick
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.