First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I bought my 2018 Civic Si with 1k miles on it and installed the Mishimoto oil catch can at 1500 miles in late December. I put roughly 3k miles on it through a Chicago winter and have garage kept the car overnight. Approaching 4600 miles with 20% oil life left so performed my first oil change this week in early April. I figured now is a good time to have a look to see if the catch can is doing anything at all. To my surprise it was slightly more than half full! I swirled the contents around and sniffed it trying to gauge if it was thick indicating mostly oil which it wasn't It had a hint of gasoline smell, was tinted brown like oil and I surmised prob a decent amount of water? I have not had the cold idle recall work don to the car...yet. Anyway I'm glad I installed the can as less of this stuff on the backside of my DI intake valves the better!

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Oil Catch Can doing its job! 20190407_201420

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Oil Catch Can doing its job! 4-17-2019 11-35-23 PM

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Oil Catch Can doing its job! 4-17-2019 11-35-53 PM

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Oil Catch Can doing its job! 4-17-2019 11-36-09 PM

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Oil Catch Can doing its job! 4-17-2019 11-36-24 PM

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
most of that is water or moisture

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
most of that is water or moisture
The oil and water wouldn't mix, so he should pour it in something glass and see where the separation later is

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
The oil and water wouldn't mix, so he should pour it in something glass and see where the separation later is
yeah, that's the reason for that color as water and oil won't mix. Also, as @MAPerformance posted the Si Engine doesn't need a oil catch can as the factory system can handle it. The oil get's condensed because the catch can would be cooler as it's externally mounted to firewall away from engine.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
yeah, that's the reason for that color as water and oil won't mix. Also, as @MAPerformance posted the Si Engine doesn't need a oil catch can as the factory system can handle it. The oil get's condensed because the catch can would be cooler as it's externally mounted to firewall away from engine.
I was waiting for someone else to link that MAPerformance write-up. Decided not to get a catch can based on that.

Tenshi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is a good score in the catch can. Mine has very little in it due to the mild AZ weather. I think it provides peace of mind if nothing else. Some say it isn't necessary and I'll believe them when they dump that sludge into their air intake where it belongs:)

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I bought my 2018 Civic Si with 1k miles on it and installed the Mishimoto oil catch can at 1500 miles in late December. I put roughly 3k miles on it through a Chicago winter and have garage kept the car overnight. Approaching 4600 miles with 20% oil life left so performed my first oil change this week in early April. I figured now is a good time to have a look to see if the catch can is doing anything at all. To my surprise it was slightly more than half full! I swirled the contents around and sniffed it trying to gauge if it was thick indicating mostly oil which it wasn't It had a hint of gasoline smell, was tinted brown like oil and I surmised prob a decent amount of water? I have not had the cold idle recall work don to the car...yet. Anyway I'm glad I installed the can as less of this stuff on the backside of my DI intake valves the better!

20190407_201420.jpg

4-17-2019 11-35-23 PM.jpg

4-17-2019 11-35-53 PM.jpg

4-17-2019 11-36-09 PM.jpg

4-17-2019 11-36-24 PM.jpg
As others have mentioned, In colder climates where the car is driven short distances it is not given the chance to reach 212 degrees F (operating temp), moisture will accumulate in the oil due to not being given a chance to burn off. I have read that Honda engines don't have the same carbon build up issue as VW and Audi engines where this is a problem (something about the way Honda angles the injectors)

OP
OP
Marky

Marky

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is a good score in the catch can. Mine has very little in it due to the mild AZ weather. I think it provides peace of mind if nothing else. Some say it isn't necessary and I'll believe them when they dump that sludge into their air intake where it belongs:)
Yes for me less of anything hitting the back of the intake valves is a positive and the peace of mind knowing it's catching oil, water, bit of fuel, whatever is a plus. My morning drive is only 2.5 miles to the train and then back in the evening so I'm hardly getting it up to operating temps. Definitely happy about the $120 or so I spent on a used can!

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
to where is it plumbed?

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I was waiting for someone else to link that MAPerformance write-up. Decided not to get a catch can based on that.
I'm beginning to think this may be true even more than you think. After 20,000 miles I ran a q-tip through the original pcv hose and it came out surprisingly clean, so there can't be too much oil and fuel going back into the engine.

HomieGohan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R | 1999 Civic Hatch NDF Style
Country flag
Would the same thing be for a Fk8 that is being tracked? I still will go look at the MAPerformance write up

ATM

First Name
ATM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
how often do you have to discard that or check on it?
Sponsored