Mishimoto Oil Catch Can - Cleaning

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
From an earlier post this weekend, I was really surprised with the amount of oil blow-by captured from the Mishimoto oil catch can for the Civic Type R. I would say I drive fairly spirited, but more importantly, 80-90% of my driving is in the city.

For 1,674 miles, I thought the oil level captured was significant, and now Iā€™m glad I got this maintenance ā€œmod.ā€

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Oil Catch Can - Cleaning KMdJWPK

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Oil Catch Can - Cleaning ERyJsMz

Question: for those who own the same oil catch can and do maintenance on it, such as emptying it, do you simply dump the oil and screw the cup onto the bracket, or do you clean the entire can (top, with baffle, and the cup)?

I am going to ask Mishimotoā€™s support team to see what they recommend, but I was curious to see what folks here do.

Mishimoto Oil Catch Can Cleaning Video (from the manufacturer):

Tim818

King Of The ā€˜Ring
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic EX, 2018 CTR
Country flag
Damn thatā€™s crazy, I didnā€™t get nearly that much amount when I emptied it out at 5,000 miles

OP
OP
blitz

blitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I recently spoke with Mishimotoā€™s customer support team, and the representative informed me that the oil catch can only needs a thorough cleaning when there is sludge forming (ie from not emptying the can regularly).

I may ā€œdeep cleanā€ mine twice a year using a light degreaser on the baffle and possibly the filter versus the soap/water mix so that I will not have to worry about water residue anywhere in the system.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Personally, after tipping out whats in it, just wipe the inside with a paper towel, to get the worse of it out. Cannot see the point of getting it spotless, when it is going to get more stuff in it as soon as I start driving.

What may be more useful, is making sure there is a light coat of "Super Grease" on the fine thread of the can, so that it screws on and off easily and smoothly, and does not Seize up after some time of use,

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
From an earlier post this weekend, I was really surprised with the amount of oil blow-by captured from the Mishimoto oil catch can for the Civic Type R. I would say I drive fairly spirited, but more importantly, 80-90% of my driving is in the city.

Mishimoto Oil Catch Can Cleaning Video (from the manufacturer):
Thanks for sharing:thumbsup:, Important feedback. My daily 90 % highway driving & have never collected so much like on your picture. I can say that there is a noticeable different on city-highway, with a bit of condensation, depending where you live, when itā€™s cold, the color of the gunk collected is lighter ā€œlatteā€ like. Definitely that stop & go city driving makes more residue.
Sponsored