Mishimoto Cold Air Intake Experience (Pics)

Anthracer12

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Is anyone else less than impressed with the quality (fit and finish) of their Mishimoto Cold Air Intake for the Type R? I installed mine today and I have to say I was surprised (not in a good way). I opened the box to inspect all the pieces and make sure everything was there and found these parts scratched and/or chipped from shipping:
Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Cold Air Intake Experience (Pics) IMG1786

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Cold Air Intake Experience (Pics) IMG1788

Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Cold Air Intake Experience (Pics) IMG1789

These items were wrapped in bubble wrap but were bundled together in the same package so they still bounced around into each other enough to do some damage. But I figured it's only a little touch-up with some black paint...no big deal. So I moved on to install it.

After everything is all installed I see that fitment is not exactly the best:
Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Cold Air Intake Experience (Pics) IMG1792

Not terrible but still a good sized gap along with more scratches at the top corner.
Then I notice the bottom left corner of the intake box is touching this hose:
Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Cold Air Intake Experience (Pics) IMG1790

And the upper left side is rubbing against this hose:
Honda Civic 10th gen Mishimoto Cold Air Intake Experience (Pics) IMG1795

Everything is adjusted as far as possible away from those hoses but they still contact the intake box which concerns me.
Maybe it's not a big deal, but when I hear so many good things about a company and then drop ~$400 on a product I expect a little bit better than this. Not to mention the fact that I had to wait 4 months for it to come in because it was on backorder due to the demand. I'm almost contemplating putting everything back to stock and just getting a K&N panel filter for it....

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
Well known issues

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
https://www.civicx.com/threads/mishimotos-2017-type-r-intake-r-d-thread.12815/page-61

Mishimoto is working with customers to get some of these things addressed. I think they didn't foresee the Honda factory tolerances to be so varying.

There are adjustments that can be made to help with clearance, although the chipping is a little disheartening, but likely doesn't impact performance in any way.

(full disclosure: I haven't purchased one yet, I'm biding my time with all aftermarket parts.)

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR #1254
Country flag
Hey Anthony,

Just replied to your PM, and I'm roping in our CS team to help out!

-Nick
Sponsored