Smurfysi

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si
Country flag
Hey guys. I got a 2018 civic si and I have the following mods, injen intake, maperformance catback, and boomba bov. Just about a week ago when I put gas in my car, I noticed that when I was accelerating I was only building 13-10 psi in 3rd gear. And I just put a new tank of gas in my car yesterday and now I’ve noticed a spudder/misfire when accelerating at half throttle upon the first 5-10 minutes of driving and sometimes after that. I’m just asking if you guys have had the same issue or if I should go to the dealership. Would they still warranty me with the parts on the car?
Sponsored

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
is it a full BOV or BPV?

could be something simple like bad gas, or plug change...

Overeazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch *Sold*
Country flag
Betting on the bov causing your issue they're known to be trash for these cars..Start taking them off starting with the bov, then the intake. They will probably let the exhaust slide.

OP
OP

Smurfysi

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si
Country flag
Betting on the bov causing your issue they're known to be trash for these cars..Start taking them off starting with the bov, then the intake. They will probably let the exhaust slide.
Just took off the bov and disconnected the battery and reconnected it. No CEL or warning lights at all but still have the slight sputter and misfire. Took it to Honda and scheduled an appointment. But I noticed that it mainly does it right after start up. Whether the car is cold or has been running for 30 minutes and it was only off for 5 minutes and still warm

Overeazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Probably a good idea to have Honda take a look before you drive it more. If it was a miss fire the check engine light would flash so I think you're safe there. I think the bov screwed up your air fuel ratio (too rich causing sputters when the engine is cold) and the ECU probably needs some time to re-learn. Just a guess I'm not a mechanic. Hopefully it didn't damage your maf sensor I think those are expensive.

OP
OP

Smurfysi

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si
Country flag
Probably a good idea to have Honda take a look before you drive it more. If it was a miss fire the check engine light would flash so I think you're safe there. I think the bov screwed up your air fuel ratio (too rich causing sputters when the engine is cold) and the ECU probably needs some time to re-learn. Just a guess I'm not a mechanic. Hopefully it didn't damage your maf sensor I think those are expensive.
Thanks I don’t think it would damage my MAF sensor seeing how everything’s happening after it. Only thing I can think of is probably fouled spark plugs

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, please keep us updated. I would think that, with fouled plugs, the performance would degrade over time, not just suddenly happen.

Since it started after refueling, it sounds to me like you didn’t put in the correct octane fuel.

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
bad gas maybe?
if it gets worse replace plugs. run it right down, possibly fuel filter(if it got plugged up).
run it through or drain it. yur call.

with the direct injection and hi pressure pumping system it can get messy quick. walk carefully. fouled injectors and messed pump is a real possibility(assuming my guess is correct and its bad gas).

Overeazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
I have this on mine, UK based. Its been to the dealers 4 times and Honda also got involved and the result is they cannot find anything wrong, I hope you have better luck then me please keep us posted.

OP
OP

Smurfysi

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si
Country flag
Update: Honda says the car is leaning out pretty hard. So they’re putting a stock air box back onto the car and seeing if that stops the issue. If it does, they’re not going to warranty the vehicle

OP
OP

Smurfysi

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si
Country flag
Final update: Honda says it was my exhaust. They put the stock one back on and it stopped sputtering. They put the modified exhaust on and it started to do it again. It’s reading rich conditions and making the car run lean for some odd reason. So my next step is to get a tuner for my car and tune it shutting off the o2 sensors and forcing it to run on a set map instead of adjusting itself for stock power. I’ll let you guys know more once it’s tuned

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
That’s odd. Usually an exhaust leans things out on it’s own. Does it have any mountings for O2 sensors on it? The other thing you can try is put the stock airbox back on and see if the problem goes away. It could be a tandem thing.

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
That’s odd. Usually an exhaust leans things out on it’s own. Does it have any mountings for O2 sensors on it? The other thing you can try is put the stock airbox back on and see if the problem goes away. It could be a tandem thing.
Surprised no one has said this but a few people have had issues with the Injen intake: https://www.civicx.com/threads/what-the-hell-is-so-wrong-with-the-injen-cai.26539/

OP did they put the stock airbox back on?
Sponsored