Leef

First Name
Leef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Modern Steel Metallic
Country flag
I thought it was worth a mention how I went from 2013 Mini Cooper S to a 2018 Civic Si Coupe. I honestly thought that the Cooper would be the car I would drive for the next ten years, but it met it's fate on a country road when a Harley Davidson going the opposite way swerved wide, giving me no options (the guard rail was at the fogline). That I walked away from a head-on collision that wrapped the fenders so tightly around the front door hinges I could barely get out of the car proved the Mini's worth to me. It owed me not a stitch more. No-one died on the road that night - miraculously.

Shopping for the newer models, however, was a big disappointment. They got bigger, more powerful, more luxuriously appointed, more capable in almost every way - and in the process somehow had less fun factor. The character of the 2013 was retro-quirky - the exaggerated center speedometer was a shout out to a genuine rally car heritage. The toggles below it were reminiscent of the switches in the old Austin Coopers that looked like they were installed from a Radio Shack kit. But the models today moved the speedometer in front of the driver - while weirdly enough keeping the circle in the center where they put the radio and added multi-colored disco lights which danced the circumference in beat to the engine revs. The window toggles were moved from the center console to the door as standard BMW switches. The quirkiness was no longer retro-quirky but just cute-quirky - big tail lights adding a cartoonish look to a car that once was more Cooper than BMW. It was as if the car lost its humility and went whole-hog into indulging in it's own adorability. And in the process - for many of us who loved the Cooper - it lost its soul.

But as I pondered the thought there would never be another car like my Mini, I realized that the Civic Si checks many of the same boxes that the Mini did for me. It offers a 6 speed manual as a default (Mini discouraged automatics as an option, and the Civic Si doesn't even give that option). It is a car that may not beat a muscle car in a traffic light drag race but will leave it in the dust on a winding road. It snugs the driver so deeply in bolstered seats that you are not merely sitting in the car - you are immersed in it. It has gas mileage that bespeaks respect to one's carbon footprint. It offers a moon roof as standard equipment knowing that being out in the world is all part of the fun of driving and - hey - want a little wind in your hair to go with those twisties? It presents a nimble little body that nips annoyingly at the hub caps of lumbering 18 mpg SUVs, and it grabs those parallel parking spots that Tundras and Pilots pass in frustration. And it gives the option to go full geek on the infotainment interface (my Mini was geared to iPhone only - but I managed to work my Android into it by hot-spotting an iPod Touch).

The biggest issue for me was going from a vehicle that evoked a drive through the rolling hills of Cotswold in the 1960's to a car that I half-expected to find a flux capacitor under the hood. Looking at the Civics in the Honda dealer lot was like looking at a fleet of Star Wars X-Wing fighters. Then it hit me. While Mini was once upon a time all about heritage and wasn't afraid to scream it out to everyone, the Civic has always been about heritage. Quietly. Steadily. Without boasting. From my first used '75 Civic CVCC 4-on-the-floor roll-up window go-cart to my sister's red 1990 5-speed manual Civic (that is still her daily commuter) to my '91 CRX Si to this new steel gray transformer sitting in my driveway now for barely four days, the Civic has never tried to change it's fundamental bones. It looks different - but looks have never been consistent through all its iterations since the roly-poly, pill-bug versions over four decades ago, even spitting out side variants from the wonderfully tossable CRX to the less spectacular Del Sol. In the final analysis, it has remained true to its essence - a small car that is all about the fun of driving, about connecting with the road instead of insulating itself from it. Its lines have gone from round to sharp to round and back to sharp again. The bells and whistles have changed and certainly multiplied. The creature comforts have as well. But sitting in the drivers seat, all of those Civics of my past are one. This is just the latest member of that family, an heir to the heritage of those ghosts. And just like them, when I strap myself behind the wheel and start the engine - even for the same old commute - it gives me a wink and says, "Hey - let's have some fun."
Sponsored

Last edited:

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
oddly enough I considered a used JCW Mini Cooper before I went with a new Si.
I just read too many horror stories on the net about things crapping out prematurely (esp. transmissions), oil leaks, coolant leaks, water pump failures, etc...

I wanted just a few things:
stick
LSD
reliability
and more than average horsepower.
Hyundai Sport lost on the LSD...only other new car I considered.

I considered 1-2yo WRXs as well, but still settled with the Si...NO RAGRETS! lol

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
when I strap myself behind the wheel and start the engine - even for the same old commute - it gives me a wink and says, "Hey - let's have some fun."
This is exactly how I feel as well! I was never able to express it correctly, but you just nailed it! Thank you for your insightful and well written post!

OP
OP
Leef

Leef

First Name
Leef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe Modern Steel Metallic
Country flag
oddly enough I considered a used JCW Mini Cooper before I went with a new Si.
I just read too many horror stories on the net about things crapping out prematurely (esp. transmissions), oil leaks, coolant leaks, water pump failures, etc...

I wanted just a few things:
stick
LSD
reliability
and more than average horsepower.
Hyundai Sport lost on the LSD...only other new car I considered.

I considered 1-2yo WRXs as well, but still settled with the Si...NO RAGRETS! lol
Your list is similar to mine, but especially that last word. Reliability...

My Mini required a gear box seal repair just a few thousand out of warranty that would have drained my wallet something over $2k. This from a babied vehicle in which I was doing everything with preventive maintenance above and beyond what was merely required. I was very lucky to have a terrific service manager who reached a compromise with Mini USA - they agreed to cover the repairs in FULL (so, yeah, it was a lop-sided compromise in my favor :) - thank you, John of the now defunct Princeton Mini!). The dealership, however, told me that I had a decision to still make. It was a golden opportunity to replace an almost 60k clutch and save several hundreds in labor. The fact is that I'd be greatly accelerating that maintenance item, but it'd reset the clock on my clutch plus any work by Mini was covered by a 2 year/unlimited mileage warranty. So I poured about $700+ into that - which was just the cost of the new clutch. A month later, it all ended up in a salvage yard. But that gave me a taste of the expense of owning European vs Japanese/Korean. If I were to view this through a karmic lens, there was a reason I had that maintenance scare. No matter how meticulous I could be with taking care of the car, those unexpected repairs could set me back 10-20% of it's value just to keep it on the road. No thanks. With all of my civics, I never had to face that.

It reminds me of a funny story when I owned my '01 Miata. The MX5 forum had an enthusiast thread that was all about chroming up their Miata's and making them look like British MG's. One guy showed images of his tricked-up Miata and - yes - it looked amazingly like an MG with the chrome wipers, leather piping on the interior and all. He asked the group for any input on furthering the impersonation. "What am I missing?" he asked. One response was brilliant: paint a big oil spot on the garage floor. :D

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I had a 2012 Mini Cooper S, then adopted a dog and wanted a little more room, traded in for a 2013 Mini Clubman S. Both had the Burger Tuning JB+ set to around + 15% with the Burger Tuning CanTool monitoring timing and AFR. They were fun, but considering the small engine and low weight should have gotten much better fuel economy. Fast foward a few years and I found myself married with kids, and the backseat of the Clubman couldn't fit two child seats. Plus it was near the end of it's warranty and had required replacing the water pump once, and computer and ignition coils twice. All covered by warranty, but it was not confidence inspiring.

Meanwhile, we also had a 2005 Civic coupe with over 130k miles, which was dead solid reliable. Never had a problem. However the kids had really done a number on the interior. Traded in the Civic and the Clubman for my 2017 SI. Over 12,000 miles so far, and a pleasure to own and drive. Much better fuel economy. able to reliably average over 36 mpg with mixed driving and plenty of pokes at the throttle in 2nd-4th gear.

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It reminds me of a funny story when I owned my '01 Miata. The MX5 forum had an enthusiast thread that was all about chroming up their Miata's and making them look like British MG's. One guy showed images of his tricked-up Miata and - yes - it looked amazingly like an MG with the chrome wipers, leather piping on the interior and all. He asked the group for any input on furthering the impersonation. "What am I missing?" he asked. One response was brilliant: paint a big oil spot on the garage floor. :D
TOO FUNNAY!
I had an MGB (used obviously), and I owned it a little over 3mos when the money started to sink into it.
I converted it to electronic ignition, gas tank leak, rebuilt the dual Strombergs (very fun to tune BTW lol), valve job/ head work, etc...

Last edited:

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
I thought it was worth a mention how I went from 2013 Mini Cooper S to a 2018 Civic Si Coupe. I honestly thought that the Cooper would be the car I would drive for the next ten years, but it met it's fate on a country road when a Harley Davidson going the opposite way swerved wide, giving me no options (the guard rail was at the fogline). That I walked away from a head-on collision that wrapped the fenders so tightly around the front door hinges I could barely get out of the car proved the Mini's worth to me. It owed me not a stitch more. No-one died on the road that night - miraculously.

Shopping for the newer models, however, was a big disappointment. They got bigger, more powerful, more luxuriously appointed, more capable in almost every way - and in the process somehow had less fun factor. The character of the 2013 was retro-quirky - the exaggerated center speedometer was a shout out to a genuine rally car heritage. The toggles below it were reminiscent of the switches in the old Austin Coopers that looked like they were installed from a Radio Shack kit. But the models today moved the speedometer in front of the driver - while weirdly enough keeping the circle in the center where they put the radio and added multi-colored disco lights which danced the circumference in beat to the engine revs. The window toggles were moved from the center console to the door as standard BMW switches. The quirkiness was no longer retro-quirky but just cute-quirky - big tail lights adding a cartoonish look to a car that once was more Cooper than BMW. It was as if the car lost its humility and went whole-hog into indulging in it's own adorability. And in the process - for many of us who loved the Cooper - it lost its soul.

But as I pondered the thought there would never be another car like my Mini, I realized that the Civic Si checks many of the same boxes that the Mini did for me. It offers a 6 speed manual as a default (Mini discouraged automatics as an option, and the Civic Si doesn't even give that option). It is a car that may not beat a muscle car in a traffic light drag race but will leave it in the dust on a winding road. It snugs the driver so deeply in bolstered seats that you are not merely sitting in the car - you are immersed in it. It has gas mileage that bespeaks respect to one's carbon footprint. It offers a moon roof as standard equipment knowing that being out in the world is all part of the fun of driving and - hey - want a little wind in your hair to go with those twisties? It presents a nimble little body that nips annoyingly at the hub caps of lumbering 18 mpg SUVs, and it grabs those parallel parking spots that Tundras and Pilots pass in frustration. And it gives the option to go full geek on the infotainment interface (my Mini was geared to iPhone only - but I managed to work my Android into it by hot-spotting an iPod Touch).

The biggest issue for me was going from a vehicle that evoked a drive through the rolling hills of Cotswold in the 1960's to a car that I half-expected to find a flux capacitor under the hood. Looking at the Civics in the Honda dealer lot was like looking at a fleet of Star Wars X-Wing fighters. Then it hit me. While Mini was once upon a time all about heritage and wasn't afraid to scream it out to everyone, the Civic has always been about heritage. Quietly. Steadily. Without boasting. From my first used '75 Civic CVCC 4-on-the-floor roll-up window go-cart to my sister's red 1990 5-speed manual Civic (that is still her daily commuter) to my '91 CRX Si to this new steel gray transformer sitting in my driveway now for barely four days, the Civic has never tried to change it's fundamental bones. It looks different - but looks have never been consistent through all its iterations since the roly-poly, pill-bug versions over four decades ago, even spitting out side variants from the wonderfully tossable CRX to the less spectacular Del Sol. In the final analysis, it has remained true to its essence - a small car that is all about the fun of driving, about connecting with the road instead of insulating itself from it. Its lines have gone from round to sharp to round and back to sharp again. The bells and whistles have changed and certainly multiplied. The creature comforts have as well. But sitting in the drivers seat, all of those Civics of my past are one. This is just the latest member of that family, an heir to the heritage of those ghosts. And just like them, when I strap myself behind the wheel and start the engine - even for the same old commute - it gives me a wink and says, "Hey - let's have some fun."
This is probably the best post ive read since I've been on this site. If I could "like" this 10 times I would. Awesome write up :thumbsup:

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag

Excellent write up!
Sponsored