Metallic sound when decelerating

00typer1071

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRX STI
Country flag
The sad thing is most Accord owners are not enthusiasts, and even if they had the manual-variant, many of them would never rev it up past 2500 rpm or even be able to hear any of these sounds. I am apparently the ONLY one on the Accord forums who has reported this noise, yet I see a ton of people on the Civic forums who have this issue!
Man, I hope your efforts on this will pay off.
I'm seriously pissed at Honda for installing crap part on an otherwise amazing cars!!!!!
Sponsored

amcdonal86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord Sport 1.5T 6M
Well in addition to hearing wastegate rattling with the windows down, I have a buzzing or rattling sound with the windows up whenever I'm between 3000 and 4000 rpm either lightly on the throttle or sometimes off it completely. Honda again says normal wastegate actuator rattle.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the wastegate actuator is rattling every time I'm off the gas, that means the wastegate isn't closing properly. Won't that ruin the turbo quickly?

00typer1071

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRX STI
Country flag
Well in addition to hearing wastegate rattling with the windows down, I have a buzzing or rattling sound with the windows up whenever I'm between 3000 and 4000 rpm either lightly on the throttle or sometimes off it completely. Honda again says normal wastegate actuator rattle.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the wastegate actuator is rattling every time I'm off the gas, that means the wastegate isn't closing properly. Won't that ruin the turbo quickly?
The part of the wastegate that makes the metallic sound is inside of the actuator so I doubt it affects how the wastegate operates but then I'm no electronic wastegate actuator expert..:/

amcdonal86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord Sport 1.5T 6M
I need to get out there and try my stethoscope sometime. In the BMWs where wastegate actuator rattling is a common problem, the rattling actually originates from the flap on the turbo side of the wastegate, eventually causing CELs for turbo over boost, etc

Fk8 4343

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Civic Type R, 17' CR-V Touring
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the wastegate actuator is rattling every time I'm off the gas, that means the wastegate isn't closing properly.
The wastegate is open when you are off the gas.

When you hit the gas, the wastegate closes to build boost. Then it opens partially to regulate boost pressure depending on the throttle input.

calisupra2nr

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
This is seriously unacceptable. I plan to have it addressed at my fall dealer visit. It is embarrassing driving into my neighborhood with that metallic whine, I already have a car that looks it was designed by a teenager, I'd prefer it didn't also sound like one.

00typer1071

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRX STI
Country flag
This is seriously unacceptable. I plan to have it addressed at my fall dealer visit. It is embarrassing driving into my neighborhood with that metallic whine, I already have a car that looks it was designed by a teenager, I'd prefer it didn't also sound like one.
Best of luck! Unfortunately my guess is that your dealer won't do anything about it...... :(

amcdonal86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord Sport 1.5T 6M
Update, I tried adjusting the actuator arm and got a bunch of CEL warnings. Didn't change the noise anyway. Moved the actuator arm back to where it was originally and things are back to normal.

The point is, the nut is not loose--the two nuts together are actually the adjustment for the wastegate actuator arm.

calisupra2nr

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM CTR
Country flag
I am honestly surprised by the lack of fervor here for this issue. It seems pretty unacceptable. And it is not just settling for "racecar" noises like a LSD noise or something. This sounds vulgar for a $35k car.

00typer1071

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRX STI
Country flag
I am honestly surprised by the lack of fervor here for this issue. It seems pretty unacceptable. And it is not just settling for "racecar" noises like a LSD noise or something. This sounds vulgar for a $35k car.
I totally agree with you!
I would think that the guys reviewing the car would mention it?
As the owners go it seems that most won't even take the car to the dealer as they don't want others messing with their R. There also those who never noticed the issue because they just don't know amy better. There are also those who get told by the dealer that this is normal and then they just give up.
I filed an official complaint with corporate Honda and it didn't get me anywhere!!

I sold the car as I don't need bs in my life and that noise drove me nuts! .....so Fuck Honda until they resovle this issue!

amcdonal86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord Sport 1.5T 6M
Also, I mentioned before that I had a P003a code that the dealer eventually replaced the turbo for. I am suspicious that they and Honda America lied about replacing the turbo as nuts that wouldve been necessary to remove to replace the turbo look completely untouched, whereas nuts that were necessary to adjust the wastegate actuator linkage were all scratched up, including (on the Accord 1.5) the turbocharger heat shield nuts.

It seems to me that the only repair they likely did was to adjust the wastegate actuator arm.

That would make more sense because the P003a code, I believe, is "wastegate actuator beyond learned position" and really has nothing to do with the turbo unit...

If true, both the Honda dealer and tech line are a bunch of liars

00typer1071

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRX STI
Country flag
Also, I mentioned before that I had a P003a code that the dealer eventually replaced the turbo for. I am suspicious that they and Honda America lied about replacing the turbo as nuts that wouldve been necessary to remove to replace the turbo look completely untouched, whereas nuts that were necessary to adjust the wastegate actuator linkage were all scratched up, including (on the Accord 1.5) the turbocharger heat shield nuts.

It seems to me that the only repair they likely did was to adjust the wastegate actuator arm.

That would make more sense because the P003a code, I believe, is "wastegate actuator beyond learned position" and really has nothing to do with the turbo unit...

If true, both the Honda dealer and tech line are a bunch of liars
They sure are! Did you ever end up meeting with a Honda engineer?