Metallic sound when decelerating

GlNib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR, 2013 Civic Si
Country flag
Just wondering if any of you are hearing a metallic scratching sound when decelerating. It's a little hard to hear at first. It only happens when decelerating and in gear.

Turn up the volume!
Sponsored

Bighouse20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have that same thing and I even reported it to the techs "we cannot duplicate the problem" Im honestly not sure what it is.....

Type Rocket

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CBP FK8 #2650
Country flag
Most likely the LSD, I hear something similar too.

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R #0426. 2014 Accord Coupe V6
Country flag

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Porsche GT4, 20 Civic Si, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Country flag
My car #1008 has the ringing/jingling sound. I mostly notice it around 3200-3800rpm. Most agree its the LSD and normal.

evo_dwn

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic TypeR
My car made a metallic noise on deceleration, the tech found that the turbo had excessive shaft play. Guess I'll be getting that fixed if they ever take care of my transmission problems!

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My car made a metallic noise on deceleration, the tech found that the turbo had excessive shaft play. Guess I'll be getting that fixed if they ever take care of my transmission problems!
More details please as you get them. I know I posted before mentioning a metallic chattering noise when decelerating and people said on here its a performance car it is the LSD like above.

StickShiftMyButt

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (grey, sedan), 2018 Honda Civic Type-R (black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i have the same issue with my 2018 Type-R. i'm not so sure that it's the LSD. it's only when decelerating, and it's a spinning sound...disappears when the car is put into neutral. the sound is apparent when you let your foot off the gas, and goes away as soon as you give it any throttle. putting the car in neutral as you hear the sound, you can hear it die down quickly as the RPM drops. i could be experiencing something different for all i know, but does this sound like it describes the same issue?

CincyTypeR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
i have the same issue with my 2018 Type-R. i'm not so sure that it's the LSD. it's only when decelerating, and it's a spinning sound...disappears when the car is put into neutral. the sound is apparent when you let your foot off the gas, and goes away as soon as you give it any throttle. putting the car in neutral as you hear the sound, you can hear it die down quickly as the RPM drops. i could be experiencing something different for all i know, but does this sound like it describes the same issue?
I am going to be taking my car in to have it checked. Going to mention the turbo shaft that evo_dwn mentioned to them.

StickShiftMyButt

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si (grey, sedan), 2018 Honda Civic Type-R (black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am going to be taking my car in to have it checked. Going to mention the turbo shaft that evo_dwn mentioned to them.
yeah it could be that. my only concern is wondering how serious the issue is, and if it is in fact that issue with the turbo. i'm so paranoid about other people driving my car, even the service crew at the dealership. i brought in my Si for an oil change, and the guy pulling it in obviously couldn't drive stick. i've worked in a shop before, and i know that not everyone there is into cars; some people just need a job. and it's usually those people who are at fault for dings, scrapes, scuffs, or in my case, burning the clutch, although he wasn't giving it much gas, in his defense.

evo_dwn

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic TypeR
More details please as you get them. I know I posted before mentioning a metallic chattering noise when decelerating and people said on here its a performance car it is the LSD like above.
The turbo is too small for me to get a video of how much it moves, by the time I reach in there to move it you can't see anything.

But, I will say it is quite a significant amount of movement. A lot more movement than the turbo diesel cummins in my drive way with 337k miles on the original turbo.

ParkwayDrive13

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen Ralley Red SI
Country flag
That almost sounds like the BOV being open during deacceleration, or a waste gate. . My SI makes that exact same noise during deaccerlation only. I believe the LSD would be more of a whine, and not a hissing kind of noise.

Try getting a video inside a parking garage or something. Maybe im missing what you're hearing.

Edit: I'm assuming while only in gear right? If you let it sit in neutral and coast, I'm assuming the noise stops ?

Is your car stock?

Last edited:

Mitnight

First Name
PITO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ABM CTR
Country flag
I am in for the answer too. Having the same noise .. hopefully nothing major ..
Sponsored