Metallic rattling sound from the engine bay - With fix!

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
No worries!! It's easier to hear if you are actually in the car... LOL. I think I found what it was though. The stupid heat shield (??) that runs along the center of the car is bent. I think with wind and engine vibrations, that is what is causing the noise.

I love the car so far, but this sound has been driving me up a wall. Coming from Nissan, this is minor I guess. Everybody told me to go Honda, so I'm hoping this is the extent of the issues I'm going to encounter.
The car does have a habit of picking up debris from the road, and sometimes that debris not only gets caught on stuff but if it hits wrong can bend things too. The car is fabulous, I mean, truly something special. At nearly 60 I've owned a lot of cars, ranging from expensive German rides down to execrable mid-seventies Dodges, and this car is far and away the most fun and most satisfying vehicle I have ever owned. Probably ever driven, too, as no one ever lets me drive their Porsches, damn it. That being said, lightness and (relative) cost effectiveness comes at a price, that price being it isn't, to borrow a phrase from Car & Driver years ago when they were reviewing an Audi, "built from recycled Panzers."
Sponsored

chinchilla978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic 2.0L Coupe
Country flag
The car does have a habit of picking up debris from the road, and sometimes that debris not only gets caught on stuff but if it hits wrong can bend things too. The car is fabulous, I mean, truly something special. At nearly 60 I've owned a lot of cars, ranging from expensive German rides down to execrable mid-seventies Dodges, and this car is far and away the most fun and most satisfying vehicle I have ever owned. Probably ever driven, too, as no one ever lets me drive their Porsches, damn it. That being said, lightness and (relative) cost effectiveness comes at a price, that price being it isn't, to borrow a phrase from Car & Driver years ago when they were reviewing an Audi, "built from recycled Panzers."
Very true. I knew that going into buying the car too. I came from a 2015 Altima with loads of issues. This car, although the stupid sounds here and there, has been a dream.

I'm planning to bring it to another dealership in my area since it should still be under warranty. I just got the thing 4 months ago, so I really think it's just about getting a fresh set of ears and eyes at this point.