OP
tomljc2016

tomljc2016

Honda Exterior Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Solara 2004
Wow, that is bad. And on the pic above it. Is that typical of recent Honda paint? Or maybe just one factory in particular.
It is typical for any economic compact car I think. But you won't notice until get close up.
Sponsored

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
It is typical for any economic compact car I think. But you won't notice until get close up.
It's not just economy cars anymore. Even BMW and Mercedes have bad orange peel these days.

Honda didn't have to benchmark even the orange peel of German cars ;) JK!

Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! attachment

Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! P1010221

AndreaCristiano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
great pics! wish they had other colors but what can we do! Interior looks awesome! even better in your pic

Fluffy Pillow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Civic EX
I wonder how thick the clear coat will be and if it will be possible to sand it and polish it to get rid of that orange peel.

NIN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas 4 life
I wonder how thick the clear coat will be and if it will be possible to sand it and polish it to get rid of that orange peel.
A good clay bar and the peel will go away
I think orange peel requires more than just clay bar-ing. Only a wet sand (actually sanding down some of the clear coat) will reduce orange peel.

OP
OP
tomljc2016

tomljc2016

Honda Exterior Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Solara 2004
It's not just economy cars anymore. Even BMW and Mercedes have bad orange peel these days.

Honda didn't have to benchmark even the orange peel of German cars ;) JK!

Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! attachment

Honda Civic 10th gen Meeting the 2016 Civic in person at the Seattle Auto Show!! P1010221
Wow hahahaha well at least you are getting a shiny glossy civic! Just ignore the orange peel lol

OP
OP
tomljc2016

tomljc2016

Honda Exterior Designer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Solara 2004
Better to leave it along... Cuz those orange peel is rather natural and you don't wanna waste money on this minor shortcoming since you won't notice it over a few feet away....

Slickone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Le Car
Country flag
Better to leave it along... Cuz those orange peel is rather natural and you don't wanna waste money on this minor shortcoming since you won't notice it over a few feet away....
LOL. Yes I guess it is natural.

Do you by chance sell cars too? :)

Reactions: Ken

cae

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
grom
It's definitely common with most production cars nowadays. I'd have it thoroughly detailed after driving off the lot, but I wouldn't put any extra effort into trying to smooth the orange peel; there's probably not enough clear to work with. That's just what you get with a $25k car. The only factory paint I've seen that was mirror pool smooth was on a Rolls Royce, which had to have been hand finished. All it does in the case of the Civic is steer me towards a lighter color like a white or red.

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
Poor quality paint is a given with made in North America cars. So is poor quality glass. Made in Japan cars don't have crap paint.

AndreaCristiano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
Poor quality paint is a given with made in North America cars. So is poor quality glass. Made in Japan cars don't have crap paint.
That's a ridiculous statement. There are plenty of made in Japan toyotas and Hondas that have orange peel

Tegster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Integra (Tafetta White)
Tom, just out of curiosity since you said you've seen the exterior design since back in 2013, was the final design already locked in by then? Without giving away anything, were you involved in the Si or Type R design at all? Are they going to blow our socks off? :)
Sponsored