Mechanical sound when shifting. Anyone else?

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Had my Si for 8 months now with 7900 miles on the clock. Not sure how long this has been happening (could have possibly been since day one as I hardly drive without music blaring on), but I noticed that when shifting to 2nd and 3rd gear, there is a very audible mechanical clunking sound. I do not notice this sound when at high speeds (although the engine noise may be drowning it out) and I do not notice it when shifting into higher gears. When in gear, it drives like a champ and no issues with actually getting in gear, everything works as should, just this clunking mechanical sound when shifting into the first 3 gears. Also this sound only happens when the car is moving not when shifting at a stop, if that helps at all. I plan on going to test drive atleast one other Si this weekend if I have time to see if it's normal, but before I do, does anybody else notice something similar when driving? Is it normal? Not sure if I am the only one.
Sponsored

rr1443

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i believe there are earlier threads about this but most people find shifts into even gears to be the notchy ones... is your shift notchy + making the noise or just making the noise?

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There are a lot of complaints with the "notchiness" of the factory gear box. I found that a lot of the mechanical "crunchiness" went away when I went to a weighted shift knob. Other people are doing that, as well as changing out the shifter assembly to a Type R one.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Had my Si for 8 months now with 7900 miles on the clock. Not sure how long this has been happening (could have possibly been since day one as I hardly drive without music blaring on), but I noticed that when shifting to 2nd and 3rd gear, there is a very audible mechanical clunking sound. I do not notice this sound when at high speeds (although the engine noise may be drowning it out) and I do not notice it when shifting into higher gears. When in gear, it drives like a champ and no issues with actually getting in gear, everything works as should, just this clunking mechanical sound when shifting into the first 3 gears. Also this sound only happens when the car is moving not when shifting at a stop, if that helps at all. I plan on going to test drive atleast one other Si this weekend if I have time to see if it's normal, but before I do, does anybody else notice something similar when driving? Is it normal? Not sure if I am the only one.
Are you talking about shifting is when you hear the sound? I hear the clunk whenever I let the clutch off and supposedly when it engages.

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There are a lot of complaints with the "notchiness" of the factory gear box. I found that a lot of the mechanical "crunchiness" went away when I went to a weighted shift knob. Other people are doing that, as well as changing out the shifter assembly to a Type R one.
It is not the notchiness of the shifter that's making the sound. The sound happens right after I shift or sometimes right after I quickly let off the clutch. I cant really pin point where it is coming from, but it isnt from the gear box, the engine bay maybe.

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are you talking about shifting is when you hear the sound? I hear the clunk whenever I let the clutch off and supposedly when it engages.
It happens both times but mainly when I shift.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
It happens both times but mainly when I shift.
I think what you're hearing is clutch engaging with the flywheel. I also hear it at first to second and barely to the third but nothing on higher gears. I've noticed the sound Day 1 and it is still there...no matter how I shift or let off the clutch pedal

OP
OP
xbbnx

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think what you're hearing is clutch engaging with the flywheel. I also hear it at first to second and barely to the third but nothing on higher gears. I've noticed the sound Day 1 and it is still there...no matter how I shift or let off the clutch pedal
That's a probability, but I've also heard it could be a weak engine mount.

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is not the notchiness of the shifter that's making the sound. The sound happens right after I shift or sometimes right after I quickly let off the clutch. I cant really pin point where it is coming from, but it isnt from the gear box, the engine bay maybe.
The motor mount is relatively easy to change. There are several aftermarket ones out there.

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
It's one of the Honda quirks, I can hear the clunk on my 9th gen si.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
I feel like this clunks are getting worse in my civic. So damn annoying. First to second shift - clunk. While disengagement some weird rattle. 20k on the clock and it annoys the heck out of me. Anyone else with these sounds? I really hate the idea of bringing it to the dealer..

Sgamon12

First Name
Salvador
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
I hear a slight clunk too every now and then. I’m not sure if it’s a problem or not though cause it drives just fine in every gear

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I hear a slight clunk too every now and then. I’m not sure if it’s a problem or not though cause it drives just fine in every gear
I hear and feel a thunk when i'm going into 1st or reverse, or when i'm coasting along in 1st gear at 1-2 mph and the car jerks even just a little. It seems to be coming from under the drivers side and I believe i can feel something moving.

I don't know if this is the LSD or maybe it's just a clutch engagement sound/sensation. I don't recall any of my other manual cars making clunking transmission noises or feeling like something is loose under the car. It's definitely not a brake or wheel issue.

I will mention it when I bring the car in for oil change but it may just be normal. Seems like a number of people have noticed this.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
alta released taht cable lockdown to eliminate the clunks into even gears but ive read on here it doesnt work all tat well

lowrysam

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (Black) w/ HFP package
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hear those clunks too. I thought it was just me. I never heard anything like it on my 9th Gen. I never noticed them during the first 8,000 miles or so. But these last 5,000 I've heard it pretty often. I feel like its just the clutch engaging and disengaging. But strange sound nonetheless.
Sponsored