Mazda 3 2018 vs Honda Civic se 2018?

Farah487

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Accord
Vehicle Showcase
After some thought I've narrowed down my replacement to be either one of these two cars. A part of me wants to try something new either then Honda and a lot of the feauters that this Mazda has is really appealing to me but at the same time I really like using Android Auto so not sure what im going to do.

I know its biased asking this question in a Honda forum but its just that ive been a part of this forum for some time now so it wouldnt hurt to see what your guy's opinions are.

Mazda 3 2018 50th year edition
- Bose premium speakers
- Leather seats

Price: $26,871.12

Honda Civic 2018 SE edition
- Android Auto/ Car Play
- Remote engine start
- Honda Sensing
-0.99% apr at my dealership

Price: $26,741.27
Sponsored

Last edited:

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
I really, really liked my Mazda 6. But it didn't accelerate like my Civic, and it sure didn't handle like my Civic.

And I certainly like the instrument panel much better than the instrument panel on the Mazda's.

If you haven't driven them yet, then you need to. If you have driven them, then somewhere inside of you, you already know which one you want.

LegendaryElite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX w/ Sensing
Country flag
Although this topic should go to the "Civic versus..." forum, I'll share some of my opinions.
Since my fellow Asians universally love the Kodo design language, I've gotten a lot of opportunities to drive in the Mazdas.
All in all, both Civic X and Mazda 3 are great cars, I'd argue that they are two of the best in the class.
I personally love the Civic X more, but each to their own.

What I like about Mazda 3 -
+ Bottom-mounted gas pedal.
+ Available manual mode due to the 6-speed automatic transmission.
+ Active safety features that are not available on the Civic X (e.g. blind-spot monitoring and cross-traffic alert).
+ Better climate control. The touch-screen-integrated one on the Civic X is just bad.

What Civic X does better -
+ Driving dynamics. No matter what the critics say, I love the handling of my Civic more. But both are top-notch in the compact class.
+ More space everywhere (comparing sedan models) - cabin storage, trunk, front and back seats, Civic X wins in every categories. (may not be obvious in numbers, but it feels that way.)
+ ACC is available on every trim. Extremely useful for long road trips.
+ Android auto / Apple Carplay, or overall infotainment. The Mazda 3's system is functional, but I don't like the rotary button. And you can only use the touchscreen while parking.
+ Resale value. Needless to say, Hondas are the absolute best in this category.

What are comparable -
= Seat comfort. I've only driven in cloth seats, and both are way better than Corolla's or Elantra's seats.
= Warranty. Almost the same except some specific ones like corrosion. Both are bad comparing to VW's 6 year bumper-to-bumper or Korean's 10 yr/100000 miles powertrain.
= Value. Both are fine. I'd say Corolla and Jetta have more value for your money in terms of technology and features. Still better than American and Korean brands (low resale value, less standard equipment nowaday) though.
= Design. Look is subjective, but I haven't heard anyone criticize the design of these two.

Verdict -
I love my Civic X, and I'm sure you won't regret getting one. However Mazda 3 is a respectable competitor, and you will likely love it too.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
After some thought I've narrowed down my replacement to be either one of these two cars. A part of me wants to try something new either then Honda and a lot of the feauters that this Mazda has is really appealing to me but at the same time I really like using Android Auto so not sure what im going to do.

I know its biased asking this question in a Honda forum but its just that ive been a part of this forum for some time now so it wouldnt hurt to see what your guy's opinions are.

Mazda 3 2018 50th year edition
- Bose premium speakers
- Leather seats

Price: $26,871.12

Honda Civic 2018 SE edition
- Android Auto/ Car Play
- Remote engine start
- Honda Sensing
-0.99% apr at my dealership

Price: $26,741.27

These all gadgets, Honda have more space and more to offer than Mazda 3 IMO

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
Had a Mazda3 entry level hatch on a 3 years lease and now bought a Civic LX Hatch.
They both have pros and cons.
Exterior I think the Mazda looks a bit better because the details are smooth, integrated . The Civic is lower, a sportier shape but overdone on details IMO.
Interior, Civic looks more upscale, especially because of the dash. The areas with cheaper materials seem to be better in the Mazda, though.
In three years the Mazda had no rattles but my Civic seems to be developing a rattle in the middle of the headliner.
Handling feels more stable in the Civic but too soft in the front. The rear suspension of the Civic is just amazing.
The Mazda was more enjoyable to toss around, with more steering feel even with the stock tires on 16 rims vs 225 summers on 18 for the Civic.
Suspension in the Mazda was overall better, didn't have the heavy front feel that my Hatch still has even with Si springs.
Off course the Civic is faster but there is more delay on throttle inputs.
Sadly, shifter was also a bit better in the Mazda. Too much resistance and notchines in the Civic.

Mazda had a major problem for me in the winter. It was completely freezing by the door. My left leg/knee was always cold. Had to run vent hard to get more air circulation, but whatever I'd do, hot air was hitting in my face and chest while still colder by the door.
Wonder if they did something about that.
Wipers were absolute worse I've experienced as OEM

With Mazda I'd be scared of rusting up here in Toronto and this was the main reason couldn't seriously consider buying it.

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The Mazda 3 is due for a full redesign, possibly even for the 2019 model year. If you can, wait until the 2019 model is out and make you decision then.

OP
OP
Farah487

Farah487

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Accord
Vehicle Showcase
So ended up sticking with Honda and pulling the trigger on a 2018 Accord! It was a bit on the pricey side but with 0.99 apr on all the features that come with the new accords I couldnt refuse.

I even ended up test driving the Mazda 3 and to me it felt kind of "meh" I mean its ok for what it offers but it felt like too much of a risk to go with Mazda since i've never owned one before and the fact that there is no Android auto was a turn off for me.

unr1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L15B7
Country flag
The accord infotainment shits all over the Civic’s. Good choice!

However, I still love the way the civic drives. Nice and compact.
Sponsored