Maybe this is how they solved the intake valve carbon build up problem

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
I was watching a video about the 1.5T design and stumbled on this cut-away view of the engine. Honda Civic 10th gen Maybe this is how they solved the intake valve carbon build up problem valve
I drew the area where the injectors spray. We know that with DI engines, some manufacturers build in some over lap so that fuel still occasionally hits seal area of the valve. And since the valve rotates, it'll slowly get exposed to fuel completely around it. By having a small area of overlap that hits the valve seats with fuel every once in a while and also allowing combustion water moisture through the EGR to flow back onto the valve to "steam clean" it, they might've been able to get rid of the carbon build up. Or at least greatly mitigate it.
Sponsored

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
1.5t is a beautiful engine. inside and out.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
At least if they do need cleaning I am all set up from having an N54 before this... would be nice though if it's a non-issue with this car. Anybody know of anybody who has pulled the intake manifold and checked their car out first hand?

CosmicX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civix LX 6M
Country flag
I think the valve in your picture is on the exhaust side.

OP
OP

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
You sure? Don't ruin this for me now.

Edit: Nevermind, u were wrong.

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Someone has to have over 100k by now so I wonder if anyone has pulled the head on a higher mileage motor.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
Someone has to have over 100k by now so I wonder if anyone has pulled the head on a higher mileage motor.
Would you even need to pull the head? Could you not snake in one of those fiber optic thin camera attachments you can put on your cell phone? Just take the air tubing off at the throttle body and open the butterfly manually and insert?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Why would the fuel injector be spraying near the exhaust valves? I suspect that is an intake valve.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
I was watching a video about the 1.5T design and stumbled on this cut-away view of the engine. valve.jpg
I drew the area where the injectors spray. We know that with DI engines, some manufacturers build in some over lap so that fuel still occasionally hits seal area of the valve. And since the valve rotates, it'll slowly get exposed to fuel completely around it. By having a small area of overlap that hits the valve seats with fuel every once in a while and also allowing combustion water moisture through the EGR to flow back onto the valve to "steam clean" it, they might've been able to get rid of the carbon build up. Or at least greatly mitigate it.
Link to vid please?

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
those are deffinatly intake valves as the exhaust ones are on the other side of the engine (front turbo side)

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
those are deffinatly intake valves as the exhaust ones are on the other side of the engine (front turbo side)
Correct.

I like fuel at 2600-2900 psi (180-200 bar) and sodium-filled exhaust valves. I wonder why don't they use sodium cooling in the turbo. Like a nuclear reactor. Instead of oil, which has to flow quite fast to survive there.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Correct.

I like fuel at 2600-2900 psi (180-200 bar) and sodium-filled exhaust valves. I wonder why don't they use sodium cooling in the turbo. Like a nuclear reactor. Instead of oil, which has to flow quite fast to survive there.
Picard facepalm

OP
OP

CivicXI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EX-T, Civic EX HB
Country flag
Correct.

Um... They were in limited use because the reactor had to stay running to keep the sodium liquid. When the reactor shut down, the whole thing would solidify and effectively brick itself. It took like, 200 degree steam to free up the whole mess.

The sodium in valves work because the movement of the valve helps move the sodium along with convection; it's fairly passive. It would be very complex to make a flowing sodium system in a turbo.

chestypuller

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Country flag
i dont really understand the whole sodium valve thing, no idea whats that about. how does this compare to standard valves or are most sodium already? i dont know all i know is ive ground valves done valve seats before, never really learned about composition of the valve material, i thought they were just a chromoly steeel or somthing like that.
Sponsored