19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Porsche 944 turbo S, 1978 Porsche 911SC, 2014 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I doubt oil temps are approaching 300 degrees. However, even Mobil1 is safe at those temps.

I instructed 6 HPDE's since getting the car in May and the oil usage tool was still reading 30% with 5500 miles on the OD.

I changed the oil/filter before the 7th, so I've been tracking the car quite a bit. :)

If I keep this car, then an oil cooler would probably be in my future, but the car did very well (at stock power levels) all summer long at VIR and only threw one over-temp warning.

I wonder what (if any) changes were made too aid cooling vs earlier models (mine is a 2019), in which the issue seemed more prevalent...

I also have a 2019 CTR and plan to do HPDE with it, but in the fall or early spring to help with the heat issues. I'm thinking the Turbo would also like the cooler temps. With my 1989 944 Turbo S Porsche track car, I had a switch I could engage that would manually turn on both radiator fans
to help keep things cool. I wonder if that could be done with the CTR? I Know some have changed out the front grill to allow more air flow and also installed an oil cooler. I have to ask, how did your CTR do at VIR and fair against the big dogs on the track? Love VIR and have been there numerous times
Sponsored

OP
OP
djhartm

djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
If your car is stock, you should be fine.

I received one DIC warning on a very hot day while going at it pretty hard in the instructor run group. Other drivers reported similar issues so I don't feel it was solely a Type-R issue.

The Type-R is a fantastic track car. It needs track pads and high-temp fluid if driven at an advanced pace.

In turns, the Type-R will generally stick with most higher-end cars. When I stay in it in the uphill esses, I can trap T9 exit very close to what I can in my Z06. It gets left on track-out on any sort of straight, but can also catch a lot of cars on the brakes. On the back straight I'm hitting 161 in my Z06 vs 130 in the Type-R. Exiting Hogpen is another huge delta in speed between higher HP cars and the Type-R. Front-straight speed is down 25+ MPH.

With better tires, the Type-R would be very formidable as front-end grip is lacking with the Contis (which are not really track-capable tires).

I'm instructing on the 17th with Cup 2's and expecting a huge difference in corner speed. :)

The best match-ups I've had are usually between modified 3-series BMW's, which are about equal power-wise. M4's driven well will decimate the Type-R on the track. Caymen's are fun to play with, but again, the S will walk away. 911's, Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaro's... given a comparable driver, forget it,

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

I received one DIC warning on a very hot day while going at it pretty hard in the instructor run group. Other drivers reported similar issues so I don't feel it was solely a Type-R issue.

The Type-R is a fantastic track car. It needs track pads and high-temp fluid if driven at an advanced pace.

In turns, the Type-R will generally stick with most higher-end cars. When I stay in it in the uphill esses, I can trap T9 exit very close to what I can in my Z06. It gets left on track-out on any sort of straight, but can also catch a lot of cars on the brakes. On the back straight I'm hitting 161 in my Z06 vs 130 in the Type-R. Exiting Hogpen is another huge delta in speed between higher HP cars and the Type-R. Front-straight speed is down 25+ MPH.

With better tires, the Type-R would be very formidable as front-end grip is lacking with the Contis (which are not really track-capable tires).

I'm instructing on the 17th with Cup 2's and expecting a huge difference in corner speed. :)

The best match-ups I've had are usually between modified 3-series BMW's, which are about equal power-wise. M4's driven well will decimate the Type-R on the track. Caymen's are fun to play with, but again, the S will walk away. 911's, Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaro's... given a comparable driver, forget it,

Thanks for all the great feedback! That was pretty much the case with my 944 turbo, always ran hot during the summer. And of coarse left somewhat behind on the straights by the high torque V8 cars, but always caught them in the twisty parts. My 944 tubo S had a 2.85 stroker engine and was around 390 hp and had the Toyo R888R tires, so it was pretty formidable.
Can't wait to get my CTR out on the track
Before I do I would dial in 1.8 negative chamber
on the front towers, track pads ( what do you use?) and upgraded brake fluid.

Thank for the reply, and great info.
Pretty hard to keep up with the big horsepower V8' s coming out of a apex That 100HP+ extra hp makes a big difference. My 944 turbo S track car had a 2.85 stoker engine and was around 390 HP and was well setup. I also had the Toyo R888R tires so I could keep the high power cars in sight. Chased a C6 Corvette all day at Roebling and in the last session managed to get a point by!
Glad to hear the CTR makes a good track car as I knew it would. I agree upgrade pads and brake fliud ( what did you use?) and I was going to set front suspension to -1.8 camber to help with tire roll. I don't do many HPDE these days so was thinking of just going in early spring and late fall when the temps are much cooler. Just love VIR!
I have such a blast every time I go.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for all the great feedback! That was pretty much the case with my 944 turbo, always ran hot during the summer. And of coarse left somewhat behind on the straights by the high torque V8 cars, but always caught them in the twisty parts. My 944 tubo S had a 2.85 stroker engine and was around 390 hp and had the Toyo R888R tires, so it was pretty formidable.
Can't wait to get my CTR out on the track
Before I do I would dial in 1.8 negative chamber
on the front towers, track pads ( what do you use?) and upgraded brake fluid.

Thank for the reply, and great info.
Pretty hard to keep up with the big horsepower V8' s coming out of a apex That 100HP+ extra hp makes a big difference. My 944 turbo S track car had a 2.85 stoker engine and was around 390 HP and was well setup. I also had the Toyo R888R tires so I could keep the high power cars in sight. Chased a C6 Corvette all day at Roebling and in the last session managed to get a point by!
Glad to hear the CTR makes a good track car as I knew it would. I agree upgrade pads and brake fliud ( what did you use?) and I was going to set front suspension to -1.8 camber to help with tire roll. I don't do many HPDE these days so was thinking of just going in early spring and late fall when the temps are much cooler. Just love VIR!
I have such a blast every time I go.

Sorry for the repeat, didn't think my last post was sent

OP
OP
djhartm

djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Be careful on the negative camber. I felt very little benefit on track, and if you street the car, it will eat the inside of the tires without continuous rotation. When I get my Cup 2's installed, I will have an alignment done to verify nothing is out of whack from aggressive curbing.

I use Castrol SRF fluid, and Carbotech XP10/8 F/R.

Front rotors susceptible to cracking... mine are toast after 7 events this summer.

Gansan

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 NSX, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Turn the fans on max but use the windshield defrost / high vent setting and angle the vents away from you. Most track organizations require one or more windows down, so you can at least get a little outside air in the cabin.

The only thing keeping me from overheating on track was this trick (heater on max + fans on max). Coolant temps climbed but never reached critical.

The real (and more sinister) problem is what is happening to the oil temp when the coolant temp climbs. I would not be surprised if the oil temps were above 270F or even climbing as high as 300F when the coolant is so hot.
I wouldn't recommend the defrost mode. Modern cars have built in logic to engage the a/c compressor to dehumidify the air when defrosting, even if you set the temperature warm. Definitely not optimal when cooling the engine.

OP
OP
djhartm

djhartm

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I wouldn't recommend the defrost mode. Modern cars have built in logic to engage the a/c compressor to dehumidify the air when defrosting, even if you set the temperature warm. Definitely not optimal when cooling the engine.
Pretty sure the AC compressor disengages automatically at high RPM/WOT situations. I've left it on several times by mistake with no observable I'll effects.
Sponsored