First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Backround:
-first car I bought with my own money was a milano red 1995 del sol DOHC VTEC. (Awesome screaming b16 engine)
-next car was a Silverstone metallic 2007 s2000 with red/black interior. (Dream car I've always wanted since 1999, unfortunately I had to sell it after getting married and having kids)
-next was the dark ages, 2010 honda insight. (Got 50 mpg though)
-next was a black 2017 WRX premium. (Definitely different than a honda, still an awesome car. Kinda miss it a bit, just a little)
-finally the 2018 CW CTR.

I've only had the car 2 days with only 120 miles, and everything I write pretty much is my experience and my opinion only, so keep that in mind when reading the following:

Looks: way better in person than in pictures or videos. If someone isn't exactly the biggest fan of the exterior, it all goes away once you get behind the wheel. I actually love the CTR looks. It's over the top, but it's tasteful and awesome. I would say CTR and s2k are on par for me in the looks category. Then the WRX close second.

Seating position: CTR is more sporty than the wrx. WRX sat like a sedan period. CTR feels like you're really getting behind the wheel and into the car. It feels more like a cockpit. S2k still probably has the best seating position if I remember correctly.

Throttle: CTR first. The 3 modes are awesome. Comfort sucks, feels spongy and not sensitive at all. Sport is the day to day mode. +R is when you are wanting to get in trouble on local roads. For first time manual drivers, comfort mode is perfect.

Gearbox: CTR has very short throws. Even shorter than s2k. However, I think, s2k has a smoother gearbox. WRX is super notchy.

Clutch: super easy and very forgiving. For lack of a better word, easy. Probably the easiest car to learn how to drive a manual in, of the cars I've driven so far. WRX is probably the hardest. (Non linear throttle and touchy clutch, and notchy gearbox)

Steering: again, 3 modes are awesome. Comfort is like regular, the sport and +R modes are very similar with sensitive ratios. However, I liked the WRX steering wheel better I think. It was thicker and had a better 10-2 bolster. Steering response is way better in the CTR in sport and +R mode though. Probably a tad bit better than the s2k.

Interier: CTR by far. WRX was just like a regular nothing special sedan. CTR felt like you were stepping into a cockpit. S2k was nice too, in a minimalist kinda way. S2k was all about the drive, whereas CTR is more of the all around experience and utility. Seats are awesome too with the exception of the lack of lumbar support. S2k had the most comfortable seats I think. But the CTRs looks the best.

Sound(performance not audio): to my surprise, not as quiet as most people make it out to be. I think they did a great job making the exhaust sound balanced. Not too loud and not to non existant. I think it's perfect. Interior noise wasn't too impressive, still way better than the wrx though. WRX interior noise was horrible.

Handling: CTR is amazing, period. Corners on par or better than the WRX in normal driving conditions of course.

Power delivery: have not gone over 4k rpm yet. But I can already feel the beast stomping at the front door. Very linear as apposed to WRX. WRX is all from 2.5-4.5k rpm, then falls flat on its face after. So just different. S2k sky rocketed after 4-5k rpm so I'm expecting the same attitude but more from the CTR when the time comes.

Overall, CTR wins in my book. S2k comes close second, WRX distant third. No regrets trading in my WRX for the CTR. Wish I could have done it sooner.

So that's all I have for now. I will update as I put on more miles. Thanks for reading this far. If you have any questions please let me know.

Please add your thoughts and experiences too.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CWCTR2018

Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Backround:
-first car I bought with my own money was a milano red 1995 del sol DOHC VTEC. (Awesome screaming b16 engine)
-next car was a Silverstone metallic 2007 s2000 with red/black interior. (Dream car I've always wanted since 1999, unfortunately I had to sell it after getting married and having kids)
-next was a black 2017 WRX premium. (Definitely different than a honda, still an awesome car. Kinda miss it a bit, just a little)

I've only had the car 2 days with only 120 miles, and everything I write pretty much is my experience and my opinion only, so keep that in mind when reading the following:

Looks: way better in person than in pictures or videos. If someone isn't exactly the biggest fan of the exterior, it all goes away once you get behind the wheel. I actually love the CTR looks. It's over the top, but it's tasteful and awesome. I would say CTR and s2k are on par for me in the looks category. Then the WRX close second.

Seating position: CTR is more sporty than the wrx. WRX sat like a sedan period. CTR feels like you're really getting behind the wheel and into the car. It feels more like a cockpit. S2k still probably has the best seating position if I remember correctly.

Throttle: CTR first. The 3 modes are awesome. Comfort sucks, feels spongy and not sensitive at all. Sport is the day to day mode. +R is when you are wanting to get in trouble on local roads. For first time manual drivers, comfort mode is perfect.

Gearbox: CTR has very short throws. Even shorter than s2k. However, I think, s2k has a smoother gearbox. WRX is super notchy.

Clutch: super easy and very forgiving. For lack of a better word, easy. Probably the easiest car to learn how to drive a manual in, of the cars I've driven so far. WRX is probably the hardest. (Non linear throttle and touchy clutch, and notchy gearbox)

Steering: again, 3 modes are awesome. Comfort is like regular, the sport and +R modes are very similar with sensitive ratios. However, I liked the WRX steering wheel better I think. It was thicker and had a better 10-2 bolster. Steering response is way better in the CTR in sport and +R mode though. Probably a tad bit better than the s2k.

Interier: CTR by far. WRX was just like a regular nothing special sedan. CTR felt like you were stepping into a cockpit. S2k was nice too, in a minimalist kinda way. S2k was all about the drive, whereas CTR is more of the all around experience and utility. Seats are awesome too with the exception of the lack of lumbar support. S2k had the most comfortable seats I think. But the CTRs looks the best.

Sound(performance not audio): to my surprise, not as quiet as most people make it out to be. I think they did a great job making the exhaust sound balanced. Not too loud and not to non existant. I think it's perfect. Interior noise wasn't too impressive, still way better than the wrx though. WRX interior noise was horrible.

Handling: CTR is amazing, period. Corners on par or better than the WRX in normal driving conditions of course.

Power delivery: have not gone over 4k rpm yet. But I can already feel the beast stomping at the front door. Very linear as apposed to WRX. WRX is all from 2.5-4.5k rpm, then falls flat on its face after. So just different. S2k sky rocketed after 4-5k rpm so I'm expecting the same attitude but more from the CTR when the time comes.

So that's all I have for now. I will update as I put on more miles. Thanks for reading this far. If you have any questions please let me know.
nice review. When do you plan on taking it past 4k rpm? Do cars still have a break in period?

OP
OP
Marty123

Marty123

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
I'm gonna exercise some patience and will power and won't redline it till around 600 miles probably, probably. We'll see haha. The honda manual, is very vague on break in period. Honestly, cars today probably don't even need a break in period. But it's the part of me that wants to baby the car and think that I'm doing the proper procedure that's making me wait to whale on it.

Plus, I'm enjoying the car no matter what anyway.

Last edited:

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
It could be because they're new and not broken in but my CTR seats are waaaaaaay more comfortable than my s2k seats.

pawnstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Sold my 06 s2k to get my 17 CTR. At times, I miss my s2000 but the CTR is perfect daily driver.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Thanks for taking your time to write out your impressions

As far as I know, and what I’ve heard from some Honda techs is the R motors are broken in on a dyno before installation.

The first 20 miles are really the critical ones for the motor in general, thats when the rings seat.

Me, I took it from the dealership lot, onto the highway and did vacuum pulls then I drove it like I drive.

After 8k my engine health is fine, not burning oil, my mpgs are generally in the 23-26 range, and I’ve seen as high as 35 mpg on my recent drive stats. I drive ~25 miles each way on open county roads to work, so take that with a grain of salt.

Your power/feel expectation for this motor should be somewhere between the WRX and the S2k. Peak torque is around 3,000 rpms and feels solid to redline. 1st and 2nd are mostly useless at wide open throttle. Even 3rd will flash the VSA light.

I find comfort mode to be useful for cruise control and mpg. The throttle sensitivity is turned down so it helps keep the car from accelerating everytime your foot twitches.

Enjoy your new ride!

After almost a year, and 8,000 miles, I still love mine!

megaphone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR R-16412
Country flag
Backround:

Overall, CTR wins in my book. S2k comes close second, WRX distant third. No regrets trading in my WRX for the CTR. Wish I could have done it sooner.

Please add your thoughts and experiences too.
Great write up! For someone like myself, in the process of finding one at MSRP, this gets me excited and confident it is the right car for my needs! The feeling of not caring about the interior because the drive is that good says a lot about the driving experience!

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I wouldn't worry about keeping it under 4k for long. I'd guess that high torque demand at lower rpm is actually harder on the motor than moderate torque demand making the same horsepower at higher rpm.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There is a break-in thread on here, if you care to see, but the Honda web site recommends a break-in period of 600 miles. A lot of folks will chime in & tell you their story how they bounce the rev limiter of every new car driving it off the lot & have never had a problem. I’m not questioning anyone’s judgement, just letting you know what the manufacturer of the motor recommends. 600 miles will come & go in no time, so I say take it easy; better safe than sorry. Don’t floor it, keep it under 4K with mild engine braking & vary the driving conditions.

The engine really started to come alive for me around 1,500 miles.

Last edited:

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
There is a break-in thread on here, if you care to see, but the Honda web site recommends a break-in period of 600 miles. A lot of folks will chime in & tell you their story how they bounce the rev limiter of every new car driving it off the lot & have never had a problem. I’m not questioning anyone’s judgement, just letting you know what the manufacturer of the motor recommends. 600 miles will come & go in no time, so I say take it easy; better safe than sorry. Don’t floor it, keep it under 4K with mild engine breaking & vary the driving conditions.
A lot of guys will tell you that not seating the rings as quickly as possible will cause blow by and other issues down the road.

There are benefits and risks on both sides of the argument.

What it comes down to is what the owner is comfortable with.

J35W2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 supercharged Civic Si (sold), '06 Civic Si (sold) , '14 V6-6MT Accord Coupe (sold), '17 CTR #1637, '18 Civic LX Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A lot of guys will tell you that not seating the rings as quickly as possible will cause blow by and other issues down the road.

There are benefits and risks on both sides of the argument.

What it comes down to is what the owner is comfortable with.
I feel you. Engineering Explained (a mechanical engineer with a degree from NC State & lots of great YT vids) confirms that cylinder pressures are more than sufficient to seat the piston rings at 4K rpms. You do not need to floor it to fuel cut off to seat the rings.

Honda recommends no rapid acceleration for 600 miles or hard breaking for 200 miles.

Last edited:

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag

Skip to 20:00 You'll find your answers from Honda.
Sponsored