MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag

To recap recent events: last week, we took our 2017 Honda Civic Si to the track for the first time (Read about day 1 here). Hot on the heels of the excited generated by that outing combined with the realization that we had ended the day very close to the current ET record, the call was made to dial in some changes to the car and get back out to the track this week. (9/12/2018)

Honda Civic 10th gen MAPerformance's 2nd day out at the track with our 1.5t Si turned up to 402.24hp race_day_two_01

We had previously determined that we were approaching the most easily attainable output we could see with the Borg Warner EFR6258 that was installed on the car. Having substantiated the raw data with track time, the decision was made to switch over to the larger compressor wheel provided by an EFR6758. The beauty of that swap is that the turbine wheel is the same, which required only the swap of the BW “SuperCore” with no other changes. We opted for the smaller .64AR housing because we had been struggling to get the “legs” back under the car after good launches, last week and hoped that the combination of the larger compressor wheel and smaller turbine housing would still provide the top end we needed while allowing us to keep as much torque out of the “hole.”

With the 6758 and the .64a/r housing installed the car went back on the rollers, previously we had seen a max of about 375whp peak, and in most cases about 350whp on the 6258 and .84a/r housing. With the 6758 now on the car and the boost at 38psi the car saw 402.24HP and 353.40tq (Dynojet Dyno, Smoothing: 0) (From what we can find, that is a new stock block horsepower record). We did notice some fueling artifacts and slight misfires up top, but nothing extremely unexpected considering the conditions: E50, stock fuel system, and 34psi of boost.

Honda Civic 10th gen MAPerformance's 2nd day out at the track with our 1.5t Si turned up to 402.24hp race_day_two_02

With a little room left on the table the call was made to stop there, and load the car up on the trailer for another adventure to Brainerd International Raceway. We packed our tools, and loaded up all our spares, but this time we bring a table to set it all on anticipating that we would potentially need some working space. It is the little details that can make or break a successful day.

5:30am 9/12/2018, up and ready to go for the day. We get to the shop, and since we had loaded up the car the night before, our day starts off a little easier than the last outing. Tools and spares are all loaded into the truck as we perform a last minute check, and then head out. The trip to Brainerd can take anywhere from 3-5 hours depending on your location in the metro, and the condition of traffic, so we opted to leave as early as possible to avoid slow downs. As we drive, the sun is starting to come up, but quickly behind that are some very dark clouds. “Not this again” we think. No quicker than the thought passing our mind, BOOM lightning strikes and rain follows. For the next thirty minutes it was a blinding downpour as we stare at the radar in hopes to see the storm pass.

We arrive and once again the skies open up and the sun starts shining. We set up our makeshift pit and ready our tools and spares for the day. The more organized we are now, the easier it is to fix issues and make changes as needed we will be during the day. At this point, we swapped from the street tires to the slicks, and perform a bolt and setup sanity check. We regroup near our work are and go over the goals: the objective for first half of the day will be to acclimate to the car now that it has nearly 50 more horsepower in the hopes that any changes we make will get us to our goal, namely achieve or exceed the record ET of 11.734 seconds.

Honda Civic 10th gen MAPerformance's 2nd day out at the track with our 1.5t Si turned up to 402.24hp race_day_two_03

Brian gets suited up and in the car as we are warming it up, tire pressures are set and he pulls up to the burnout box. The lights are ready and he sets up on the tree. The result: a causal 12.50 at 104mph clicks off on the board with a 1.8960ft. Looking over the logs, we see that the car actually loaded up a bit more and the boost was going a bit over target causing the car to break up after the half track. We turn the boost down a tad and do it all over again, this time we see a 12.63 at 109, 1.8860ft. That was a little slower than expected but the car seemed to like the run. Brian pulls back around to report that he had shifted the car a bit slower than normal but that it ran great. Back to the box! Brian pulls to the line and takes off, but as he goes to grab second the car wont shift and he is forced to abort the run.

Honda Civic 10th gen MAPerformance's 2nd day out at the track with our 1.5t Si turned up to 402.24hp race_day_two_04

We get the car back to the pits and begin to go over what could be causing the issue, visual inspection of the clutch, slave and pedal show that they are all in proper working function. We begin to pull the shifter cables and notice a bit of slop that we begin to think may be the issue. Some trackside changes are made and the car is set back down on the ground and ready for a test drive.

First gear is a bit notchy now, but two through six all seem to be operating perfectly so the decision is made to head back to the line! A big 2nd gear burnout is done, and Brian sets up on the tree. Two step set at 6500, and he is off. 1.8960ft once again, and a 12.16 at 114.56mph pops up on the board! Looks like we are back in the game! Back around and on the line, Brian clicks off a 1.8760ft, and a 12.19 achieving 114mph even. Now we are all feeling good as the car seems to be back and just hitting it’s stride. Lining up once again, two step is set, and as he gets the car to second we hear a noise!

Sadly it was not a good noise and the car quickly comes to a stop and is shut down. No fluids lost or parts dropped so we quickly push it back to the pits and get it in the air. Still no obvious signs of a broken parts, so its started again to inspect. All signs point to a damaged transmission, but without pulling it all there is no way to be sure what the failed part is, so the day called due to mechanical failure.

Honda Civic 10th gen MAPerformance's 2nd day out at the track with our 1.5t Si turned up to 402.24hp race_day_two_05

As we pack up and push the car on the trailer, we can do nothing but think about how the day went and try to sort through what may have gone wrong with the car. As the minutes pass, we all once again remember that this is how it goes when you push a new platform to its limits, you find the weak points. Although sometimes disappointing, it’s what is needed to progress and push forward in the name of development. We are now excited to get the car home and tear it apart to find what we failed. Without days like this, we would never learn or progress. Hopefully by next week we have the damage report ready and can share what we find and a plan to prevent it from happening again!

Thank you for reading, and feel free to post any questions you may have!​

Last edited:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for another great thread detailing your recent track adventure. I hate to hear about the transmission issue but that seems to be a new trend. Looking forward to learning more about what exactly failed.

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
Actually, I am kind of excited to see something fail, FINALLY... the transmission made probably 55 passes at almost double and then double the HP output of the car from the factory... all of which involved launching... FRANKLY, I am surprised it made it this long... not to even begin to mention the hundreds of dyno sessions and abuse the car has seen... I am super impressed.

That being said, I think the huge opportunity here is for us to actually have some time to tear the transmission apart and see what let go. I get all excited when the opportunity to make something compelling shows itself.

Lastly, we already have a new transmission on the way, so we shall be over this hurdle soon enough...HOPEFULLY

Thanks for another great thread detailing your recent track adventure. I hate to hear about the transmission issue but that seems to be a new trend. Looking forward to learning more about what exactly failed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
Oh... I wanted to mention, while we had the car up in the air, we decided to drop the pan and make some inspections on the engine. Bearings are beginning to show some signs of wear... but are still healthy and since we are interested in determining the engine failure point, we put the bearings back in, re-torqued the caps and will send it. Current crankshaft endplay is at .0010 inch... according to Honda, acceptable range is from .0004 inch to .0014 inch...which puts us just over the hump of the middle... again, we decided to send it...BUT we will be installing a clutch pedal stop to avoid unnecessary damage.

Last edited:

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Actually, I am kind of excited to see something fail, FINALLY... the transmission made probably 55 passes at almost double and then double the HP output of the car from the factory... all of which involved launching... FRANKLY, I am surprised it made it this long... not to even begin to mention the hundreds of dyno sessions and abuse the car has seen... I am super impressed.

That being said, I think the huge opportunity here is for us to actually have some time to tear the transmission apart and see what let go. I get all excited when the opportunity to make something compelling shows itself.

Lastly, we already have a new transmission on the way, so we shall be over this hurdle soon enough...HOPEFULLY
Are you guys familiar with the upgraded transmission component(s) available via HPD?

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
I was aware of some gearset components and LSD options... are you aware of more? I actually have a sneaking suspicion about what I think has let go, and I don't any solution for it...but you might be more in the loop...if you would like to message me, any information would be appreciated...obviously just in the research mode, here.

Are you guys familiar with the upgraded transmission component(s) available via HPD?

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was aware of some gearset components and LSD options... are you aware of more? I actually have a sneaking suspicion about what I think has let go, and I don't any solution for it...but you might be more in the loop...if you would like to message me, any information would be appreciated...obviously just in the research mode, here.
Sounds like you already know everything I’ve heard but if I hear more I will be sure to share it. :thumbsup:

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Sorry to hear about the brake! But great wright up, all good information. Can't wait to see the solutions :)

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
Hey... as long as you are learning, you are growing, in my opinion! Thanks!

Sorry to hear about the brake! But great wright up, all good information. Can't wait to see the solutions :)

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tough break... Congrats on 400whp though. Glad to hear the longblock is holding up even if a little lose for wear.

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag
HAHAHAHA... I am still AMAZED at how well this engine is holding up! It's truly taking a beating like a champ!

Tough break... Congrats on 400whp though. Glad to hear the longblock is holding up even if a little lose for wear.

Almostfast

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Sport Touring
Country flag
Oh... I wanted to mention, while we had the car up in the air, we decided to drop the pan and make some inspections on the engine. Bearings are beginning to show some signs of wear... but are still healthy and since we are interested in determining the engine failure point, we put the bearings back in, re-torqued the caps and will send it. Current crankshaft endplay is at .010 inch... according to Honda, acceptable range is from .004 inch to .0014 inch...which puts us just over the hump of the middle... again, we decided to send it...BUT we will be installing a clutch pedal stop to avoid unnecessary damage.
.01!" Yikes, or I think you misplaced a decimal point...

OP
OP
MAPerformance

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 SI Coupe
Country flag

Cscott_xGen

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
So that ticking was the transmission you didn't blow the motor?

Edit:

do you think this is a flywheel issue?

what clutch set up is on the car
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.