Rafi27

First Name
Rafeh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 si
Country flag
I’m looking at Maperformance exhaust for these cars and can’t decide between the race exhaust or street exhaust.
Anyone have opinions on whether to get the street or race with the stock dp. There are plenty of videos on the street version but only a view with the race.
Sponsored

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Picked up the street version during the Black Friday sale and have absolutely loved it. Still running stock DP/FP with no plans to change them. Sounds perfect to me.

OP
OP

Rafi27

First Name
Rafeh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 si
Country flag
Picked up the street version during the Black Friday sale and have absolutely loved it. Still running stock DP/FP with no plans to change them. Sounds perfect to me.

Do you get pops and burbles?

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
I have had the street exhaust since shortly after launch. Still absolutely love it to this day. No other product has a better sound in my opinion. It is the first exhaust on a Civic that doesn't sound like a high pitched fart can. The burbles are nice in low gears. The only down side is the rough transition from stock exhaust to the MAP exhaust. It is a little loud at first but once it gets broken in, it is golden. I 100% have the best sounding Civic in my area. When I really get on it, oh man this little 4 banger sounds mean as hell. But then it has a gentle purr when cruising. I can't suggest it more. From what I witnessed, the race is just a little too much. You start to hear that raspy noise that takes away from the sound. I would say street or stealth. I have heard even the stealth has a solid volume to it.

WOPSiWOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got the street this BF. I have it paired with a PRL catted DP/FP. It is not quiet, but it is well-mannered. The ability to control drone on the highway is impressive. It actually improved some of the rasp that came from just the DP alone. When I first installed, my first thought was "should have gotten the stealth." It is better now after getting some miles on it. Has smoothed out. I also don't think I had it fully tightened down at first so I had some added sound from small leaks probably. After getting it all buttoned up, I'm impressed by it. I get burbles, more with rev hang enabled. I think the race would be too much (for me). I still wonder if I might have been better off with the stealth. (in the original nomenclature when MAP was developing the system, the "stealth" was "street". I can't remember what they had been calling the others, but "stealth" probably does overstate it).

One thing to note. The system does hang lower than stock. The stock exhaust actually transitions to an oval pipe to give additional clearance in the rear. The MAP is 3" OD and has to transition below the rear crossmember. I have to be mindful getting in and out of my driveway (which goes over a small curb). I'm also lowered on Swift springs. This likely is an issue with many aftermarket exhausts, given the way the stock exhaust system is designed, but something to note (especially if you are lowered, or plan to be). This might actually be one benefit of the "race" setup given that you don't have the additional resonator at the rear of the car.

The ones I looked at were Borla, HKS, 27Won, AWE, and MAP. Would probably have gone AWE, but didn't want the headache of doing the FP again. For the money, MAP has the best combination of price, quality materials, and attention to sound quality IMO. If you plan to do it yourself on jack stands, I did find that it was difficult to get everything lined up probably. Stuff kept shifting when I tightened different parts. Personally, I got it tightened up pretty good and then took it to a shop with a lift and asked them to just straighten it out and get it tightened down. They charged me $30 to take it that last bit of the way.

SueyChops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I've been debating pulling the trigger on this exhaust as well (hoping for a Presidents Day sale). My commute is straight highway for about 35 miles one way, for that reason I was thinking of going with the Stealth version to hopefully not go crazy from drone. Planning on adding a catted downpipe eventually that I know will also increase the volume some. Used to have an RX8 with a TurboXS exhaust and man that thing would wear on me on long drives.

Maperformance has a video posted to YouTube showing the sound variations from Race/Street/Stealth with varying FP/DP configurations btw.

OP
OP

Rafi27

First Name
Rafeh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 si
Country flag
I have had the street exhaust since shortly after launch. Still absolutely love it to this day. No other product has a better sound in my opinion. It is the first exhaust on a Civic that doesn't sound like a high pitched fart can. The burbles are nice in low gears. The only down side is the rough transition from stock exhaust to the MAP exhaust. It is a little loud at first but once it gets broken in, it is golden. I 100% have the best sounding Civic in my area. When I really get on it, oh man this little 4 banger sounds mean as hell. But then it has a gentle purr when cruising. I can't suggest it more. From what I witnessed, the race is just a little too much. You start to hear that raspy noise that takes away from the sound. I would say street or stealth. I have heard even the stealth has a solid volume to it.
Any experience with the race exhaust and the drone?

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have the Race setup with stock front pipe and downpipe and tbh the exhaust isn’t that loud at all, I’m pretty young so maybe that will play a role but I’ve driven past MANY cops and they don’t seem to mind, drone is noticeable in “some” rpms but nothing overbearing, my gf sometimes says “it sounds like it doesn’t have an exhaust” but that’s also depending on what rpm’s you’re at. Highway drone isn’t bad either, I think you’d hear more tire/road noises on the highway than the exhaust itself anyways.

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
The video makes it sound very quiet, which is not exactly what I’m after.
I wouldn't consider it very quiet but it's definitely not loud either. More like the perfect medium IMO. My vette sounds obnoxious compared to this. If you want noise, go with the race version and swap out the DP/FP with either catless or hi-flow. Definitely not my cup of tea with a 4 banger though. I wanted to keep it civilized. After all, its still a Civic :D

OP
OP

Rafi27

First Name
Rafeh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 si
Country flag
I have the Race setup with stock front pipe and downpipe and tbh the exhaust isn’t that loud at all, I’m pretty young so maybe that will play a role but I’ve driven past MANY cops and they don’t seem to mind, drone is noticeable in “some” rpms but nothing overbearing, my gf sometimes says “it sounds like it doesn’t have an exhaust” but that’s also depending on what rpm’s you’re at. Highway drone isn’t bad either, I think you’d hear more tire/road noises on the highway than the exhaust itself anyways.
How do you like the tone, is it too much rasp or sounds deep?

TSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How do you like the tone, is it too much rasp or sounds deep?
I would say the tone is deeper and Bassy and rasp I would say non existent with the stock front pipe/downpipe.

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
I have no personal experience with the race setup.
The drone exists but since I have 27won RMM, it probably amplifies the drone a little so my description may be a bit exaggerated compared to stock RMM. The drone was very present at first but got a lot better after a while. It was not quite ear plug worth volume but still enough of a difference from stock to notice. It's really not bad. I have been in unbearable sounding cars and this is not one of them
Sponsored