Manual Transmission Oil Change

nsxmatt

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 coupe, 2009 coupe
Who knows what it says in the service manual. I tried to buy one, but Honda doesn't see fit to sell one. This is what I was told by a 25 year Honda mechanic
That is because they have been online only for quite a few years. There is no paper service manual to buy.
Sponsored

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
That is because they have been online only for quite a few years. There is no paper service manual to buy.
Great! Where do I get one online?

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Take lots of pictures, please.
Well, I just did my first 6MT oil change today with Amsoil Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Trans Fluid. Finally, at 10k miles. Was quick and easy. No different than changing engine oil. I can't feel any difference at all in the shifter. It was smooth as warm butter before, still smooth as warm butter after.
The factory fill MT Fluid I drained out was a little more discolored than I expected for 10,000 miles. Was instantly glad I was doing it when I saw what came out. Here are some pics I took of the process. Note, you need at least an 18" long 3/8" drive socket extension and equally long funnel to do this job at home.
Honda Civic 10th gen Manual Transmission Oil Change IMG_5218.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Manual Transmission Oil Change IMG_5219.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Manual Transmission Oil Change IMG_5220.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Manual Transmission Oil Change IMG_5221.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Manual Transmission Oil Change IMG_5223.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Manual Transmission Oil Change IMG_5224.JPG

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Well, I just did my first 6MT oil change today with Amsoil Synthetic Manual Synchromesh Trans Fluid. Finally, at 10k miles. Was quick and easy. No different than changing engine oil. I can't feel any difference at all in the shifter. It was smooth as warm butter before, still smooth as warm butter after.
The factory fill MT Fluid I drained out was a little more discolored than I expected for 10,000 miles. Was instantly glad I was doing it when I saw what came out. Here are some pics I took of the process. Note, you need at least an 18" long 3/8" drive socket extension and equally long funnel to do this job at home.
IMG_5218.JPG
IMG_5219.JPG
IMG_5220.JPG
IMG_5221.JPG
IMG_5223.JPG
IMG_5224.JPG
Thanks for posting this. Have you happened to have some more pics that give a better idea of the drain and fill bolts location? Would be greatly appreciated.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for posting this. Have you happened to have some more pics that give a better idea of the drain and fill bolts location? Would be greatly appreciated.
These are the only pics I took. But you should be able to find the drain and fill plugs from the pics. Just take the pics with you out to the car. The fill is on the top, and it takes the long extension. Make sure you can get the fill off before draining the fluid out...

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is there any gasket or O ring on drain plug like engine oil drain plug ?

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is there any gasket or O ring on drain plug like engine oil drain plug ?
Good question, sorry I forgot to mention that. The bottom drain plug does have a metal crush gasket, I got from the dealer for $2 I think. No gasket on the top fill plug.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Good question, sorry I forgot to mention that. The bottom drain plug does have a metal crush gasket, I got from the dealer for $2 I think. No gasket on the top fill plug.
Thank you for your great post and pictures.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Thank you for your great post and pictures.
air cleaner needs to be removed (in hatches) in order to reach to the full plug. There's no washer on the full plug but as per manual liquid seal needs to applied to the thread on the plug. Also,level check bolt underneath needs to be removed prior to draining. Got on honda's tech site last night, tons of cool info with pics and step be step process.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
air cleaner needs to be removed (in hatches) in order to reach to the full plug. There's no washer on the full plug but as per manual liquid seal needs to applied to the thread on the plug. Also,level check bolt underneath needs to be removed prior to draining. Got on honda's tech site last night, tons of cool info with pics and step be step process.

Any link for Honda's tech site ?

TimberWolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's not absolutely necessary to remove the air filter housing, as the fill bolt is reachable without removing it. And if you have a narrow enough funnel, it shouldn't be too difficult to pour in the MTF.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
It's not absolutely necessary to remove the air filter housing, as the fill bolt is reachable without removing it. And if you have a narrow enough funnel, it shouldn't be too difficult to pour in the MTF.
very very true. no need at all, just looked under the hood again. thanks for correction me