Manual Cheaper?

HSPrzepa

boosted d16 ftw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 civic lx
Being able to drive stick, along with the ~$800 price difference against the auto, I decided to shop around. First I noticed the rarity, does anybody buy manual base models anymore? Further, the dealers acted as though I was in their hands, quoting me prices well above what even the auto models cost, stating in their defense: "You're not going to find another manual, they are hard to come buy". Am I better off purchasing an auto? Is it sensible to try and save that ~$800 by searching for a manual?
Sponsored

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
I got mine OTD $19,475 back in January. If they had tried to go above that, I would have laughed in their faces and left. Not to mention that I'd have also complained to HOA about their price gouging.

But is it worth it? If you like to drive stick, it's great. Good gearing, relatively short throws, for an OEM, and the clutch engages nicely. Also, it is much better than a cvt, if you plan on adding bolt-ons/tuning. I have a modified intake/exhaust with custom tuning, and it will blow the doors off of a stock 1.5. Without the stick, I couldn't keep it in the power band since it's power delivery is very different from stock.

Definitely go to another dealer.

OP
OP
HSPrzepa

HSPrzepa

boosted d16 ftw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 civic lx
I got mine OTD $19,475 back in January. If they had tried to go above that, I would have laughed in their faces and left. Not to mention that I'd have also complained to HOA about their price gouging.

But is it worth it? If you like to drive stick, it's great. Good gearing, relatively short throws, for an OEM, and the clutch engages nicely. Also, it is much better than a cvt, if you plan on adding bolt-ons/tuning. I have a modified intake/exhaust with custom tuning, and it will blow the doors off of a stock 1.5. Without the stick, I couldn't keep it in the power band since it's power delivery is very different from stock.

Definitely go to another dealer.
I feel like you're the dealer I just got off the phone with, DarkLight. The lowest offer I got was exactly $19,475 OTD :hmm: But lets compare that to the $18,800 OTD I got for an auto lx. Do they actually expect people to pay more because it's stick? Thats quite a large profit margin for them, considering the invoice for the manual is much lower than the auto.

I have searched the forum and found a thread on OTD pricing for manual lx's, it had a single useful response of $19,000.

Wyborowa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe LX MT
Country flag
Being able to drive stick, along with the ~$800 price difference against the auto, I decided to shop around. First I noticed the rarity, does anybody buy manual base models anymore? Further, the dealers acted as though I was in their hands, quoting me prices well above what even the auto models cost, stating in their defense: "You're not going to find another manual, they are hard to come buy". Am I better off purchasing an auto? Is it sensible to try and save that ~$800 by searching for a manual?
I paid 18k +taxes & fees = 19.6K for my 2016 6 spd LX 4 dr....

16extsense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T with Sensing
Country flag
Do you personally know any drivers who drive stick shift?
Whether $800 is worth it only you know the answer because people value manual transmission differently.

Based on I read here, it seems people have better chance getting low price if you get quotes via edmunds or truecar instead of contacting the dealers directly.

racinginblood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 civic exl 2016 lx coupe
Do you personally know any drivers who drive stick shift?
Whether $800 is worth it only you know the answer because people value manual transmission differently.

Based on I read here, it seems people have better chance getting low price if you get quotes via edmunds or truecar instead of contacting the dealers directly.
Money shouldn't matter if you want the stick come over to Canada we get killed on pricing on new cars by the stealer ship I got 2 sticks and would never own a auto tragic trans just my opinion though

Wyborowa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe LX MT
Country flag
I feel like you're the dealer I just got off the phone with, DarkLight. The lowest offer I got was exactly $19,475 OTD :hmm: But lets compare that to the $18,800 OTD I got for an auto lx. Do they actually expect people to pay more because it's stick? Thats quite a large profit margin for them, considering the invoice for the manual is much lower than the auto.

I have searched the forum and found a thread on OTD pricing for manual lx's, it had a single useful response of $19,000.
keep looking man...

I drove from Buffalo to ALbany for my 2dr Civic Coupe 6spd. paid $18,200 +taxes/fees= 19.6-7

A manual is ALWAYS cheaper than an auto.. Keep looing around bud!

OP
OP
HSPrzepa

HSPrzepa

boosted d16 ftw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 civic lx
Just purchased one last week :nixon: Black/black sedan manual, I love it! Drove 3 hours.

kbacon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Toyota Sienna, 2016 Honda Civic LX 6MT
Country flag

I got mine in Atlanta, GA for $18,600 out the door with all taxes and fees. I started with TrueCar through USAA but had to play hard ball with the dealer when they tried to jack the price up by 900+ for "dealer add-ons".

OP
OP
HSPrzepa

HSPrzepa

boosted d16 ftw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 civic lx
I got mine in Atlanta, GA for $18,600 out the door with all taxes and fees. I started with TrueCar through USAA but had to play hard ball with the dealer when they tried to jack the price up by 900+ for "dealer add-ons".
That is an amazing deal considering Atlanta has 8% sales tax. Did you trade in a vehicle? Was it the manual model?

DarkLight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic-2016 LX 6MT
Country flag
You must have lower taxes than I do lol. What was you pre tax price? I haven't heard of any that were lower than mine.
Honda Civic 10th gen Manual Cheaper? ima

kbacon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not too much difference. My tax was 1208.84 and title fee was 119.00.

Honda Civic 10th gen Manual Cheaper? IMG_0812

kbacon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That is an amazing deal considering Atlanta has 8% sales tax. Did you trade in a vehicle? Was it the manual model?
I paid 18,200 for my 2 door coupe manual. Taxes in NYS are 8.75%:thumbsdown:
No trade-in. I sold my old trusty 2000 Accord 5spd Manual and put cash down to reduce payments. 18,600 out the door was the deal. I thought it was a pretty good deal but they didn't give it to me without a fight.
Sponsored