Vincentbrown65

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I have a major vibration while coasting or maintaining speed around 2.5-3K RPMs, especially if it is in a higher gear (louder in 4th gear at 3K vs 1st gear at 3K). It sounds and feels like the exhaust is slapping the floor pan right underneath the center console. But the kicker... it primarily happens when I’m driving on really wet roads, far less often if it’s dry. For instance, I work about 30 miles away, mainly highway driving. Tonight, it was pouring rain all the way home (I live in Washington). About 5 miles from home while about to get off the freeway, car started vibrating.
I do have an Invidia catless DP and R400 exhaust. Any thoughts???

Sponsored

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Porsche GT4, 20 Civic Si, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Country flag
Jack the car up and take a peek underneath and make sure everything is secure and nothing looks out of place..

OP
OP
Vincentbrown65

Vincentbrown65

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I already checked and couldn’t find anything obvious. What’s throwing me for a loop is that it only happens when it’s raining.

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hmmm weird.
Hopefully you figure it out.

Jaxson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Bet it’s thermal related. My last 8thgen had a horrible rattle underneath when there was a quick and sudden heavy rain storm that was on the cooler side. It has something to do with the hot exhaust and the cool water hitting it that would distort something enough that the exhaust would lightly touch a hesthsield or something underneath. It would immediately go away on the next drive or if the rain stopped and dried up during the drive.

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have had the same thing with a older civic/apex exhaust. When it rained it buzzed the whole floor board but when dry was nice and deep.

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
I already checked and couldn’t find anything obvious. What’s throwing me for a loop is that it only happens when it’s raining.
I have a major vibration while coasting or maintaining speed around 2.5-3K RPMs, especially if it is in a higher gear (louder in 4th gear at 3K vs 1st gear at 3K). It sounds and feels like the exhaust is slapping the floor pan right underneath the center console. But the kicker... it primarily happens when I’m driving on really wet roads, far less often if it’s dry. For instance, I work about 30 miles away, mainly highway driving. Tonight, it was pouring rain all the way home (I live in Washington). About 5 miles from home while about to get off the freeway, car started vibrating.

some aftermarket exhaust systems when it rains get water inside the resonators this cause the holes inside get clogged and start to do an excessive vibration in tho whole exhaust piping , when this happens sometimes the exhaust piping hit the chassis.

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag

This same exact thing has happened to me twice since I got my exhaust a couple weeks ago. I have the AWE touring, and one night it was pouring like crazy and all the sudden I feel this thumping vibration/rattling coming from the center armrest. I was kinda nervous about the whole thing and thought something was seriously wrong. Its been raining a lot in south florida lately and tonight I went driving and it was raining pretty hard again and same thing happened. Almost feels like the suspension is messed up if I had to describe it.
I decided to google the issue and came across this thread so I'm glad I'm not the only one.
And like you said, it only happens in the rain and never when its dry outside.

I would like to get to the bottom of this, no pun intended, to see where it could be hitting. Hopefully I can see some scuffing where it was hitting and make adjustments accordingly.

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Its completely normal. I had same thing happen to me after installing my AWE exhaust. When it rains hard, the exhaust gets wet, I don't know the exact reason why, but if exhaust is hot and gets splashed with water it gets "shocked" and contracts. Makes it feel like someone is taking a mallet and hitting the bottom of your car.

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Yup same thing with me. I have the R400 as well. There's definitely some science involved, I'm just to dumb to understand it ??

Dirty_panda

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Same here, I have the AFE catback exhaust with an ultra quiet resonator welded in. I have experienced similar popping/ thumping noise under the center console, almost like something is banging against the undercarriage. I experience it when driving in rain or snow, usually when I’m decelerating or at a standstill.

NkryptD0n3

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe Platinum White
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hate to necro a thread but I have the same problem with the MAPwrformanxe exhaust or I’d I hit a hard enough bump like I did one time but I think it splashed water or something on the exhaust. I’ve been convinced my car is gonna explode because of how horrible it sounds.

Oh! And a few weeks ago hit some snow and same sounds. It’s like the transmission came loose and is smacking the bottom side of the car or like someone threw a hammer in a washing machine. It’s god awful. Hopefully it’s just hot exhaust and cold atmosphere or cold liquid causing it to act stupid but no real issues to be had for all of us. Cheers
Sponsored